• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody said to Acie “That’s why I don’t play you” - on camera

jerrywest

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ing_and_sc.html

Quotes from AJC

by Blast

1/17/09 at 6:52 pm.

"Yeah, I read Woody’s lips too. The camera caught him just as he looked at Acie and said “That’s why I don’t play you” after Acie turned the ball over. I thought that was some whacked s!!t. And Acie never got in the game again, even though he was playing well. I really don’t think Woody likes Acie much, which sucks, cos Woody sucks! Flip turns the ball over way more!"

By steve

January 17, 2009 8:34 PM | Link to this

"I read woody’s lips and I got the same thing! it’s a shame that A.C. can’t get a fair chance.sorry to say this but, it’s going to take a losing record before he GOES…"

By O'brien

January 17, 2009 9:16 PM | Link to this

"I didn’t get a chance to watch the game last night. But so far 3 different people have confirmed that Woody tod Acie “That’s why I dont play you” (when Acie had a turnover). Did anyone else see it?"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodson better start trying to figure out how to get this mess turn around. The team is falling back toward the pack. The 76ers,Bucks and Heat are hot on the Hawks trail. Playing Acie more could help get this thing turn around. He need to quit trying to destroy his confidence and start building him up.

Another guy in AJC claimed to see that...

By bigdave

January 16, 2009 11:41 PM | Link to this

PLEASE TELL ME THAT I DIDNT READ COACHES MOUTH TELLING ACIE, “THATS WHY I DONT PLAY YOU” AFTER HIS TURNOVER WHEN HE DRIBBLED INTO THE DOUBLE TEAM…?? DID ANYONE ELSE SEE THAT…? THAT CANT BE THE CASE WITH ALL FLIPS MISHAPS… HE HAD TO BE YELLING AT THE REFS…??!!

and another guy in ajc claimed:

By I .MUS WRITE

January 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Link to this

OMG Big Dave I thought i was the only one who saw that….Wow- he talks to the man like he’s his father. He really does’nt like AC which is y i think Ac will be gone next year.

I. MUS WRITE… great work from the camera man… i thought i was trippin, maybe trying to find something, or over analyze. what a shame though, not that im much older, but, the kid has rare talent. why should he hold Acie to different standards? we have all seen Flip carelessly turn the ball over..

• Premium Member
It's the way he goes about it. Our whole team makes careless mistakes way too often.

What do you mean "the way he goes about it." This incident aside, I can't blame Woodson for not playing Law. He's sucked quite frequently.

As far as the mistakes, I think you also have to factor in:

1. The relative youth of the team.

2. The lack of a true PG.

3. The coaching staff's desire to develop another scoring option among the young forwards.

Woodson is by no means a top grade coach, but I'm not going to join in on the scapegoating. There's enough blame to go around for virtually everyone involved when the team struggles.

The way he goes about it is he is a coach that doesn't want to coach. He just wants his vets to take over while he stands on the sideline and makes stupid faces. You're going to not play Law because he turns the ball over or makes a bad decision? We have the dumbest team in the league! He needs to check himself.

It's not "scapegoating" Woodson. It's just being honest. He isn't to blame for all of our problems obviously, but if a team makes the same mistakes over and over, night in and night out, never fails, isn't it time to look at the coach? Most franchises would have had this bum out of here a long time ago, but it isn't quite as easy for the Hawks.

For the record, I'm far from some Acie Law homer. I'm just part of the 99% that recognizes how terrible Woodson is.

• Premium Member
I'm just part of the 99% that recognizes how terrible Woodson is.

You could seriously find that statement on 25 other teams' boards. No joke. No exaggeration. For some reason, NBA fans (or perhaps I should say sports' fans in general) love to blame the coach.

The reality is that talented players in the NBA are far more important to success than a coach. That's why the same coach that was here when the Hawks won a total of 13 games is the same one that has this team playing 7 games over .500 with the 4th best record in the conference despite the lack of a true PG, true CR, and any realistic frontcourt depth.

Woodson isn't that bad of a coach. He has his flaws, but we've seen more than enough evidence to suggest that the right talent on a team that listens to his defense-first philosophy can be an extremely dangerous team.

With the exception of maybe a half dozen other NBA coaches, the Hawks' record wouldn't be that much better if they replaced Woodson. Plus, the consummate warrior and veteran Joe Johnson thinks highly of him, and to me that's more important than 99.9% of the opinions of posters (many of whom are highly emotional in their views of the team) on this board.

The problems this team has experienced over the last few weeks have little to do with Woodson. It has more to do with their (lack of a) defensive mindset, key injuries, and struggling to play with consistent intensity on the road. You can't blame Woodson for any of those three.

I do think there's a legitimate reason to be frustrated with Woodson's short rotation. That will most definitely hurt the Hawks as the season goes on. He needs to get Law, Jones, and Morris more minutes now, and shorten the rotation later. In the meantime, Sund needs to find a veteran big that Woodson can rely to be more consistent than Jones and Morris. In spot minutes (8-12/game), Law is more than sufficient.

it wasnt a big deal when i read those comments on AJC claiming they saw woodson say that but then i thought about it again and said "the reason he doesnt play acie is because he turns the ball over". if thats the case take out smoove everytime he shoots a 3, take out joe when he is going iso and/or bricking shots left and right, take out bibby when he lets he PG whopp his butt on the court.

Plus, the consummate warrior and veteran Joe Johnson thinks highly of him, and to me that's more important than 99.9% of the opinions of posters (many of whom are highly emotional in their views of the team) on this board.

Because so many players publicly blast their current head coach? And Joe is allowed 100% freedom under Woodson so he should be content.

I have noticed a few of you have extremely low expectations of what a coach should do. The way some of you speak you'd think we'd be just as well off without a coach. Of course, in Woodson's situation we'd agree, but for different reasons. The players are more important than the coach, but the coach is there to get the most out of his players.

If anyone can honestly say Woodson has gotten anywhere near the most out of his players then they just don't understand basketball.