• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody said to Acie “That’s why I don’t play you” - on camera

jerrywest

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I freaking love the irony as earlier today in another thread someone says that if they were the coach they'd bench the player for making mistakes and as soon as Woody is caught benching a player for a mistake and tells him why he's benching him all of the sudden he's some evil prick who's trying to destroy Acie. It's obvious that none of you who are getting so emotional over this comment by Woody has ever played organized sports otherwise you would have heard MUCH worse from all coaches in any sport. The only difference with Acie compared to the other guys that screw up is that Woody actually doesn't need to play Acie since he's got Flip.

Dolfan shows up to blindly support Woodson as usual. Read the posts before you make these statements!

Woodson didn't bench Acie because the result of a play was a turnover, he benched him because it was a completely bone-headed play. If someone uploads the video, then it would be easier to see.

As for why Woodson doesn't take out Smoove for shooting a dumb 3, he does occasionally take Smoove out of the game for that. But also at the same time, Smoove contributes on the defensive end and the boards so you can live with his mistakes as a team. I have yet to see what Acie contributes to this team.

• Premium Member
I have yet to see what Acie contributes to this team.

So you'd rather Flip demonstrate turnovers 101 as the PG? Acie is a very good slasher and when he's been given the green light and consistent playing time he usually plays well. Problem is that Woodson has such a short leash on him that he's afraid to make mistakes and he's not playing his game.

So you'd rather Flip demonstrate turnovers 101 as the PG? Acie is a very good slasher and when he's been given the green light and consistent playing time he usually plays well. Problem is that Woodson has such a short leash on him that he's afraid to make mistakes and he's not playing his game.

Most of his minutes are at the 2, and actually when he plays the 1 he is one of the better on the team. He is certainly our best defensive 1.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL4.HTM#bypos

In contrast, look at what Acie gives up in production at the 1:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL1.HTM#bypos

I don't like using PER, but its the only metric that 82games uses. Acie is giving up 18.1 PER when he plays.

• Premium Member
Most of his minutes are at the 2, and actually when he plays the 1 he is one of the better on the team. He is certainly our best defensive 1.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL4.HTM#bypos

In contrast, look at what Acie gives up in production at the 1:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL1.HTM#bypos

I don't like using PER, but its the only metric that 82games uses. Acie is giving up 18.1 PER when he plays.

Acie's minutes are too limited to use PER. By watching, Acie is at least an adequate defender.

Regardless, who's the backup PG when Bibby isn't playing? It's usually Flip. I just don't take too much precedence in 82games position stats since they had Marvin as playing 90% of his minutes at the PF a few years ago when Smith was the starting PF. Also, just watching Flip play PG makes me cringe. He's not a distributor at all and he makes a ton of dumb turnovers. I'm not saying Acie has always played well, but I'd like to see what he could do if Woodson would lengthen the leash a little like he does with Flip. When Acie isn't under pressure and plays his game, he usually does well. But when he's looking over his shoulder the whole time, he struggles as most players do.

No wonder Law plays on egg shells.

We all should no that the PG position is the hardest position to grow into in the NBA. It takes more patience and more coaching then any other position.

What I hate is the double standard. The one player on your team who NEEDS a little patience never gets it while he watches some one make the more mistakes then he does get all the playing time.

I see alot of potential in Law. Too bad............its pretty sad !

The problem centers around Woody's lack of offensive philosophy and his inability to treat players fairly.

Flip gets 10 feet of rope and Law gets an inch or two. How do you get respect thart way ?

This was talked about weeks ago on this board too.

flip is the worst PG on the team. not that we have an offensive system but when we played GS and he WAS THE POINT, I repeatedly saw all the players including him on the same side of the court looking lost. How is that even possible for everyone to be on the same side of the court?... but then he proceeds to dribble himself to the other side, ISO, and turn the ball over! and, of course, he remained in the game at the point. i thought, and still think, it was a good move bringing him in but I thought his role would be "scorer off the bench" not back up PG :doh:

The problem centers around Woody's lack of offensive philosophy and his inability to treat players fairly.

Flip gets 10 feet of rope and Law gets an inch or two. How do you get respect thart way ?

This was talked about weeks ago on this board too.

Hard to disagree with your points here coach. I don't think he intentionally treats players unfairly and it's difficult to say with certainty that he does do that without knowing what's going on behind the scenes and in practice, but Flip certainly gets a lot more rope to choke himself with than Acie does. The only reason I could see this being logical for Woody is that maybe Acie pouts when Woody gets on him in practice and in games and Flip doesn't and therefore appears more professional.

The bottom line for me is that it pisses me off that Acie is a wasted pick, whether that's by talent (which I don't think is the case) or by him not being used properly. At a time when we really needed to nail both of our lottery picks we didn't have the option of getting nothing out of Acie's selection.

• Premium Member

This is coming from a Blogger. Unless Sekou or a more credible source can verify this then it's a rumor imo.

This is coming from a Blogger. Unless Sekou or a more credible source can verify this then it's a rumor imo.

I am beginning to think it is a rumor that has no legs to it. We had a couple of people claiming to have Tivoed the game but no uploaded video. One poster asked when the play was at and another poster gave a specific time. Still no video.

• Moderators

Whether Woodson said that or not is not a big deal to me. The handling of Acie at a time when we absolutely know we will need to make significant decisions at our PG spot this offseason and the relative handling of Acie/Flip is the bigger issue.

In terms of productivity this season, Flip and Acie have been equal by PER rating, with Acie taking better care of the ball but not scoring as well. Given their relative importance to our future, I would like to see a more regular and less lopsided distribution of playing time for the backup guard minutes.

I'm sorry Acie isn't the answer. He's injury prone, he doesn't finish well, his j is bad. Yes, he can get to the rim, but without the threat of finishing teams will just jelly fish him and dare him to finish the play. If I was Woody I wouldn't play the guy much either. What's the point? Everybody seems to think he's going to turn into a great player with time. You ever considered he might turn out to be a below average player with time? Maybe Woody sees this and figures why waste the effort. Maybe he wants management to keep Bibby.

• Moderators
What's the point?

In my world, I would want better information as the GM to know whether Acie had potential or whether he was a bust we should not count on even in a reserve role in future years. Hence, I would want him playing consistent minutes even if we are talking 8-12 minutes per game and see whether he progresses or whether he is a bust. After a period like Dec - Feb of doing this, I would be fine to shut that down and return him to a 12 minute; 2 minute; DNP; DNP; 3 minute; DNP; 9 minute; DNP; etc. sort of schedule.

• Premium Member
I'm sorry Acie isn't the answer. He's injury prone, he doesn't finish well, his j is bad. Yes, he can get to the rim, but without the threat of finishing teams will just jelly fish him and dare him to finish the play. If I was Woody I wouldn't play the guy much either. What's the point? Everybody seems to think he's going to turn into a great player with time. You ever considered he might turn out to be a below average player with time? Maybe Woody sees this and figures why waste the effort. Maybe he wants management to keep Bibby.

Sure, let's just keep playing Flip at PG even though he can't distribute at all, shoots about 40% and constantly makes dumb turnovers. Let's not give Acie a longer leash and a chance to improve. If Flip was playing well at PG I would agree with you, but when he's not a good PG and we have a young guy who hasn't been given a legitimate chance I just can't support that.

I'm not saying Acie will succeed, but we should at least see what we have with him considering we desperately need the PG help when Bibby isn't playing.