• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

“I’ve got to do a better job of getting [Joe] the ball in areas where he can be more effective,” Woodson said.

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Rathbun: Joe Johnson off a baseline screen...defense switches...they've got him trapped...better hurry and make something happen... OMG! Horford pulls KG's shorts down and he's wearing a tiger-stripped thong! Joe puts it up while KG is distracted...FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

There ya go...

Rathbun: Joe Johnson off a baseline screen...defense switches...they've got him trapped...better hurry and make something happen... OMG! Horford pulls KG's shorts down and he's wearing a tiger-stripped thong! Joe puts it up while KG is distracted...FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

There ya go...

lol

Where exactly would that be? That was to be the quote of the year fellas!!

Sorry, but this might be one of the more insightful things Mike Woodson has ever said. Actually, nevermind, Woodson has said the right things before but he never demonstrates any willingness to follow through. But he's absolutely right about this.

You can't just give Joe the basketball every time down the floor and expect him to beat an opposing team one-on-five, which is what he currently does. Joe is not Michael Jordan, no matter how much we want to talk him up on this board and in pretty much any discussion about the Hawks. He's a great shooter, and the truth is, he's one of the best catch-and-shoot guys in the entire NBA. He'd be much better if we ran more plays through the post, so the defense collapses off of him, and letting him catch a kick-out for an open jumper. He's the only guy on our team who can break down a man off the dribble and get his own points, but that doesn't mean every offensive set needs to force him to do that.

He runs 80% of our plays, anyway, when he's on the floor. But still, 44% of his baskets are assisted, per 82games.com. That's a fairly high number when you consider the number of possessions we have where he alone touches the ball. You'd be much better off if you ran actual offensive sets to get Joe coming off baseline screens, or running high pick and rolls with Josh Smith.

Sorry, but this might be one of the more insightful things Mike Woodson has ever said. Actually, nevermind, Woodson has said the right things before but he never demonstrates any willingness to follow through. But he's absolutely right about this.

You can't just give Joe the basketball every time down the floor and expect him to beat an opposing team one-on-five, which is what he currently does. Joe is not Michael Jordan, no matter how much we want to talk him up on this board and in pretty much any discussion about the Hawks. He's a great shooter, and the truth is, he's one of the best catch-and-shoot guys in the entire NBA. He'd be much better if we ran more plays through the post, so the defense collapses off of him, and letting him catch a kick-out for an open jumper. He's the only guy on our team who can break down a man off the dribble and get his own points, but that doesn't mean every offensive set needs to force him to do that.

He runs 80% of our plays, anyway, when he's on the floor. But still, 44% of his baskets are assisted, per 82games.com. That's a fairly high number when you consider the number of possessions we have where he alone touches the ball. You'd be much better off if you ran actual offensive sets to get Joe coming off baseline screens, or running high pick and rolls with Josh Smith.

These guys... They talk and talk and talk... But they never do.

Yep I definitely agree with you there. Woodson has said quite a few intelligent things this year without following through on them. I doubt this will be any different, but one can hope.

Yep I definitely agree with you there. Woodson has said quite a few intelligent things this year without following through on them. I doubt this will be any different, but one can hope.

this year? lol he's been lying through his teeth ever since he got the job.

Where exactly would that be? That was to be the quote of the year fellas!!

Joe is getting a few post up oppurtunities per game now. When he has the favorbale matchup vs. a smaller guard that should be milked to the bone !

I love seeing him come off double screens for catch and shoots. What I love more is him coming off a screen to curl at the elbow for a mid range shot or take one dribble into the paint (from the elbow) for that pretty floater he has.

The trick with running JJ off screens is hitting him with a perfectly timed pass while he is still open for a good look from the screen. If the pass is late you waisted 10 seconds of shot clock for every one to set up the screens and JJ to run his man off of them only for the pass to be too late so the defender can recover.

Instead of all the iso's for JJ.... run some basic pick and rolls with JJ instead of just Bibby running the picking rolls.

Some old fashioned V cuts would be nice too.

Another thing is JJ's teamates have to move and not just stop and watch when JJ has the ball. Instead of just running iso's for JJ while every one watches.... why are other players not moving, cutting in the paint, or running off screens to keep the defense busy and give JJ more options so he doesn't feel like he has to force a shot each time. JJ is smart enough to where if some one cuts or gets open he will find them.............Spacing is fine but we have to involve more movement.....beating the dead horse here !

When JJ is is on iso play I sure he has the option to call for a pick and roll or for a post up. First call the post up. If your guy is having trouble getting position call him out of the paint for a pick roll.

Edited by coachx

this year? lol he's been lying through his teeth ever since he got the job.

Did I say it was just this year? And I think it's a bit harsh to call it a lie. People say that they are going to try and do such and such every day in their jobs and either aren't capable or whatever but that doesn't make it a lie. Certainly a failure, but I'd hardly call it a lie.

How many times have we heard - - 'I'm going to try - -."

Then, he doesn't. NOT THAT HE TRIED, THEN FAILED. HE DIDN'T TRY.

Woody talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk.

A prime example. I'm going to try to limit minutes played.

Is he just failing to do what he said because he can't do it?

Or, did he say one thing, then do something different?

I agree. There IS a difference.

:sad:

When JJ is is on iso play I sure he has the option to call for a pick and roll or for a post up. First call the post up. If your guy is having trouble getting position call him out of the paint for a pick roll.

Let me try to clarify here.

When JJ is on an iso, normally the whole team is on the weak side except for Mo or Marvin are in the strong side corner to space the floor for a drive and kick if their defender leaves them to double JJ on his drive. Many times Marvin or Mo get an open 3 here in the strong side corner (or Bibby gets an open 3 for spacing the weakside) but we need some more variety here......more options then just spacing. (Stop using Smoove at the top of the 3 point line....he does not need to be a perimeter floor spacer !)

On occasion call for the strong side corner floor spacer (Marvin or Mo) to cut through the lane for our weakside post rebounder (Smoove, Horford, or ZaZa) to screen the "floor spacer's" defender off for Marvin or Mo to curl at the elbow (added option #1).......then the "screen setter" rolls into the strong side post if JJ does not feel the iso play (added option #2)................or if they can't get post position, JJ will call them out for a pick and roll (added option #3)..........this gives JJ more options then to simply pass to teamate who is standing still around the 3 point line or to take his man one on one.

This keeps people playing off one another with movement rather then standing still like a statue spacing the floor. It also keeps the defense thinking and and on their toes with other things to defend besides JJ...........Of course Bibby stays put as a floor spacer on the weak side 3 point line (as he normally does) incase the defense converges on JJ's drive for a kick out.

Much easier to explain with examples of kids on the court or a chalk board then it is in text.

Edited by coachx

Did I say it was just this year? And I think it's a bit harsh to call it a lie. People say that they are going to try and do such and such every day in their jobs and either aren't capable or whatever but that doesn't make it a lie. Certainly a failure, but I'd hardly call it a lie.

him saying multipe things because that's what people WANT to hear and him not even ATTEMPTING to come through on it is qualified as a lie.

• Moderators

It is not unusual in coaching. I used to wait for the annual Tubby Smith announcement that he was going to play an uptempo offense that season. I don't make too much of this fact. Judge the coach by what actually happens on the court.