• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

talk about when Woodson would be fired has faded away.

DrReality

Defense has Hawks on 50-win pace

By Darryl Maxie

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mike Woodson, the Hawks’ 50-year-old coach, felt good enough Wednesday to scrimmage and banter with the reserves who worked out on the team’s practice court at Philips Arena.

“Come on out here!” he barked from the top of the key, challenging any nearby guard to stop him. The occasional nothing-but-net shot that followed wasn’t his only reason to smile.

The Hawks are looking better at the midseason point than they have in 12 seasons. Their 25-16 record through 41 games is easily the best of his five seasons. All that talk about when Woodson would be fired has faded away.

“When I first came here, expectations weren’t that high because we had gutted the team and started over,” Woodson said. “We had all young players. I’ve been around the league a long time and I’ve never seen young teams win consistently.”

Those young players are maturing. Throw in Mike Bibby, the experienced point guard the Hawks used to lack, for a full season —- instead of just the 33 regular-season games he played after last season’s trade from Sacramento —- and what you have is a team nine games over .500 at this point for the first time since the 1997-98 team was 26-15.

After weathering a four-game losing streak that began a week into the new year, the Hawks have battled back to win three of four —- including the past two without forwards Marvin Williams and Al Horford.

“We’re right on schedule in terms of where we want to be,” Woodson said.

It’ll be a game-time decision whether Williams, who missed those two games with a concussion, will play Friday when the Hawks host Milwaukee. However foggy the bump on the head left him, it was clear to him why the Hawks are on a 50-win pace.

“You’ve got to give credit to our defense,” Williams said. “When we hold teams under 100 points, we usually win. We’ve snuck in a couple of wins when we didn’t, but I definitely think coach has been stressing that. That’s been his calling card.”

The Hawks are 20-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, 5-11 when they don’t. They say they have played with a greater sense of urgency this season —- a direct result of what they learned by extending the Boston Celtics to seven games in their first-round playoff series last season.

“No one gave us a chance —- it was supposed to be a series sweep,” Woodson said. “And some of our guys were a little intimidated. They hit us dead in the mouth those first two games. When we won Game 3, it taught our guys to play hard, just like [the Celtics] were playing. And that set the foundation for our summer work, our veterans camp.”

The Hawks have lost only three games by 15 or more points —- on the road at Orlando and Indiana and at home against Philadelphia. Being able to win close games has made a difference, Williams said.

“Three years ago, we wouldn’t do it,” the fourth-year forward from North Carolina said. “But I think we can win 50. If we can get 20 on the road and protect our home court, winning 50 games in the East should get us a slot where we have home-court advantage [in the playoffs].”

Woodson will keep pushing, maybe even keep scrimmaging with them, although he knows Wednesday’s workout probably will leave him sore.

“I can’t fault my group,” he said. “Our guys tasted the playoffs and it left a great taste in their mouth. Now they’re playing like it.”

HAWKS’ 41-GAME RECORDS

Season ….W-L……Finished

2008-09….25-16….—-

2007-08….19-22….37-45

2006-07….15-26….30-52

2005-06….11-30….26-56

2004-05 ….8-33….13-69

2003-04….12-29….28-54

2002-03….14-27….35-47

2001-02….14-27….33-49

2000-01….14-27….25-57

1999-00….16-25….28-54

1998-99….24-17….31-19*

1997-98….26-15….50-32

*A lock-out shortened the season. Hawks were 14-11 at its midpoint.

NEXT FOR HAWKS

> Who: vs. Bucks

> When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

> TV; radio: SPSO; 790 AM

I guess this answers the question as to whether or not Sekou visits Hawksquawk or not since he believes that talk has subsided LOL.

Looking back at our records over Woodson's tenure here are our winning percentages for the 1st half and 2nd half of the seasons:

2008 - 61% & ??%

2007 - 46% & 44%

2006 - 37% & 37%

2005 - 27% & 37%

2004 - 20% & 12%

Assuming that we drop to 59% over the 2nd half of this season like we did last season that would be 24 more wins for a total record of 49-33 and a 60% winning percentage.

Which means that the Hawks during Woody's tenure have increased their winning percentage annually by x percent compared to the prior year by:

2008 - 49 wins = 132%

2007 - 37 wins = 123%

2006 - 30 wins = 115%

2005 - 26 wins = 200%

2004 - 13 wins = N/A

48 - 50 wins this season seems like what we should expect based on what we've done under Woody. And just for grins I'm going to assume that we'll win 49 games this year and optimistically project that we'll win 68 games next year (140% improvement on 2007) if we continue to improve upon each season by another 8%. Of course 68 wins seems ridiculous but hey most here were saying that it's not hard to improve on your wins when you only win 13, 26, 30, etc. games the prior season and yet here we are looking at 49-50 wins this season and continuing the trend.

I guess this answers the question as to whether or not Sekou visits Hawksquawk or not since he believes that talk has subsided LOL.

Looking back at our records over Woodson's tenure here are our winning percentages for the 1st half and 2nd half of the seasons:

2008 - 61% & ??%

2007 - 46% & 44%

2006 - 37% & 37%

2005 - 27% & 37%

2004 - 20% & 12%

Assuming that we drop to 59% over the 2nd half of this season like we did last season that would be 24 more wins for a total record of 49-33 and a 60% winning percentage.

Which means that the Hawks during Woody's tenure have increased their winning percentage annually by x percent compared to the prior year by:

2008 - 49 wins = 132%

2007 - 37 wins = 123%

2006 - 30 wins = 115%

2005 - 26 wins = 200%

2004 - 13 wins = N/A

48 - 50 wins this season seems like what we should expect based on what we've done under Woody. And just for grins I'm going to assume that we'll win 49 games this year and optimistically project that we'll win 68 games next year (140% improvement on 2007) if we continue to improve upon each season by another 8%. Of course 68 wins seems ridiculous but hey most here were saying that it's not hard to improve on your wins when you only win 13, 26, 30, etc. games the prior season and yet here we are looking at 49-50 wins this season and continuing the trend.

68 wins? No chance. I know your saying that tongue in cheek. But, I think what this should do is quiet some of the naysayers about Woody being the worst coach ever. Go pull your favorite coaches record over his first 5 years and see if he's had the same level of effect on his team.

68 wins? No chance. I know your saying that tongue in cheek. But, I think what this should do is quiet some of the naysayers about Woody being the worst coach ever. Go pull your favorite coaches record over his first 5 years and see if he's had the same level of effect on his team.

It should fade away. Consistency within an organization is key. Woody has earned this year, he's been through NBA hell...he deserves this.

• Premium Member

Woody's constant campaigning to keep Bibby is starting to get under my skin. If Woody is not smart enough to know that Bibby is his downfall then he should be fired. You are being fooled Woody! Yes Bibbs is playing his *ss off but we’ve seen this before from an aging player in a contract year.

Yes VERY tongue in cheek, just in case anyone thinks otherwise LOL.

I can already tell you what the typical response from those that think Woody is so bad and it's what I mentioned above, "it's easy to improve when you start with only 13 wins blah blah blah". As I say all the time he certainly has his share of flaws, but the players play hard for him and we continue to improve every year. I think someone mentioned yesterday that we're the 5th youngest team in the league this year? If that's true then that says even more about the job our team has done this year so far.

Woody's constant campaigning to keep Bibby is starting to get under my skin. If Woody is not smart enough to know that Bibby is his downfall then he should be fired. You are being fooled Woody! Yes Bibbs is playing his *ss off but we’ve seen this before from an aging player in a contract year.

What's getting under your skin with Bibby? 25-13? Terrific Shooting? Playing his *ss off? How is Bibby, Woody's downfall? I'd think, if anything, Bibby is helping Woody's situation.

• Premium Member
What's getting under your skin with Bibby? 25-13? Terrific Shooting? Playing his *ss off? How is Bibby, Woody's downfall? I'd think, if anything, Bibby is helping Woody's situation.

Woody is so in love with Bibby's recent good play that he has totally discarded Acie Law’s upside. ASG will not bring Bibbs back and the team will once again suck but Woody doesn’t care because he has excuse in pocket.

• Moderators
Yes VERY tongue in cheek, just in case anyone thinks otherwise LOL.

I can already tell you what the typical response from those that think Woody is so bad and it's what I mentioned above, "it's easy to improve when you start with only 13 wins blah blah blah". As I say all the time he certainly has his share of flaws, but the players play hard for him and we continue to improve every year. I think someone mentioned yesterday that we're the 5th youngest team in the league this year? If that's true then that says even more about the job our team has done this year so far.

Personally, I saw the 13 win year as exactly what was expected from coach and then the last two years as the most underachieving season under Woodson. The team is right on course this year, no doubt, so while I may gripe about aspects of Woodson's coaching, I can't argue with the w/l results he is delivering this season to date.

• Premium Member

2008 - 61% & ??%

2007 - 46% & 44%

2006 - 37% & 37%

2005 - 27% & 37%

2004 - 20% & 12%

2008 - 49 wins = 132%

2007 - 37 wins = 123%

2006 - 30 wins = 115%

2005 - 26 wins = 200%

2004 - 13 wins = N/A

This is an example of GREAT analysis! Looking at this data, one can clearly see the team is on an upward trend. When you consider the plan was to 'blow up' the team and start over again, our 5 year plan looks right on target.

Like others, I'd love to see Woody do what I think he should do. He's making progress year over year and that is what he is paid to do. I'm not sure I'd like any of the bloggers coming to my office telling my how to do my job (which I think I doing pretty well), especially if they've never done it before.

I do hope Sund can get another big man for the bench by the trading deadline. Though I like him, I think we've seen the best of Solo. We need a big body that can bang in the half court game during the playoffs. Though Morris is a project, he can give a few good minutes of that, especially if he goes against his former Atlanta Celtic teammate and HS rival Dwight Howard.

• Moderators

Anything but an upward trend would be a disaster, IMO.

2004 - Add Josh Smith & Josh Childress. Best vets: Al Harrington, Antoine Walker = 13 wins, worst record in NBA

2005 - Add Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson and Zaza Pachulia. Premium developing talent: Josh Smith, Josh Childress. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Al Harrington = 26 wins, 3rd worst record in NBA

2006 - Add Speedy Claxton & Shelden Williams. Premium developing talent: Marvin Williams. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Josh Childress. = 30 wins, 4th worst record in NBA

2007 - Add Al Horford, Acie Law & Mike Bibby. Premium developing talent: Marvin Williams. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Mike Bibby, Josh Childress. = 37 wins, 12th worst record in NBA.

The only season, imo, that you can argue that we really showed big improvement was this one. Otherwise, we were pretty much swimming with the worst teams in the NBA in terms of performance our entire time under Woodson. That was by design and completely understandable in 2004 & 2005 - our premium young talent was too raw and we had too few pieces. In 2006 & 2007, I expected significantly better.

2008, so far, has been a success, and I give Woodson credit for that.

Anything but an upward trend would be a disaster, IMO.

2004 - Add Josh Smith & Josh Childress. Best vets: Al Harrington, Antoine Walker = 13 wins, worst record in NBA

2005 - Add Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson and Zaza Pachulia. Premium developing talent: Josh Smith, Josh Childress. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Al Harrington = 26 wins, 3rd worst record in NBA

2006 - Add Speedy Claxton & Shelden Williams. Premium developing talent: Marvin Williams. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Josh Childress. = 30 wins, 4th worst record in NBA

2007 - Add Al Horford, Acie Law & Mike Bibby. Premium developing talent: Marvin Williams. Best vets: Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Mike Bibby, Josh Childress. = 37 wins, 12th worst record in NBA.

The only season, imo, that you can argue that we really showed big improvement was this one. Otherwise, we were pretty much swimming with the worst teams in the NBA in terms of performance our entire time under Woodson. That was by design and completely understandable in 2004 & 2005 - our premium young talent was too raw and we had too few pieces. In 2006 & 2007, I expected significantly better.

2008, so far, has been a success, and I give Woodson credit for that.

Come on man....2007 was not a full year of Bibby. And Joe was hurt early.

• Moderators
Come on man....2007 was not a full year of Bibby. And Joe was hurt early.

I agree it was a partial year with Bibby.

We went 15-17 with Bibby.

Joe was so hurt that he played 82 games. I agree it affected his performance but that happens to nearly every team in the NBA.

37-45 may be a record you are happy with for 2007-08.

I was not happy finishing in the bottom 40% of the league with that roster.

• Moderators

2008 - 61% & ??%

2007 - 46% & 44%

2006 - 37% & 37%

2005 - 27% & 37%

2004 - 20% & 12%

2008 - 49 wins = 132%

2007 - 37 wins = 123%

2006 - 30 wins = 115%

2005 - 26 wins = 200%

2004 - 13 wins = N/A

I know its tongue in cheek but for the record the numbers are all 100% too high. 13 to 26 is 100% increase. 26 to 30 is a 15% increase.

I know its tongue in cheek but for the record the numbers are all 100% too high. 13 to 26 is 100% increase. 26 to 30 is a 15% increase.

If that's how you'd like to look at it then that's fine but I've seen numbers described like that both ways before and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Premium Member
If that's how you'd like to look at it then that's fine but I've seen numbers described like that both ways before and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong (couldn't help myself)

100% increase means, (always) double the amount. (i.e. 100% of 13 is 13... thus 100% increase is an increase of 13)

200% increase would be an increase of 26 if we are still taking 13 as the base... a 200% increase from 13 wins would be winning 39 games the next year.

There is no other way to look at percentages. Any site or article that you saw that used percentage increases the way you did is also wrong.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Moderators
Sorry, but you are 100% wrong (couldn't help myself)

100% increase means, (always) double the amount. (i.e. 100% of 13 is 13... thus 100% increase is an increase of 13)

200% increase would be an increase of 26 if we are still taking 13 as the base... a 200% increase from 13 wins would be winning 39 games the next year.

There is no other way to look at percentages. Any site or article that you saw that used percentage increases the way you did is also wrong.

I think it is either 200% of the previous year or a 100% increase on the previous year.

I think it is either 200% of the previous year or a 100% increase on the previous year.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Sometimes I forget that there are those on here who cannot wait to create an argument out of a word added or omitted from a sentence even though they clearly understood the point. So for those of you that were so thrown off by the word increase I sincerely apologize for making it so difficult to understand for you.

• Premium Member
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Sometimes I forget that there are those on here who cannot wait to create an argument out of a word added or omitted from a sentence even though they clearly understood the point. So for those of you that were so thrown off by the word increase I sincerely apologize for making it so difficult to understand for you.

Well you were referring to the increase. If you say something and mean another that's fine. I merely corrected you because percentages are not used that way in any walk of life. Not in sports, finances, statistics etc... Nobody uses percentages to describe the total Future value in comparison to a Present value. Percentages are always used to describe the increase from one value to another. It's important to know this since everything from the stock market, to economic and social indicators are described in this manner.

I don't think anyone is attacking you. Just trying to clarify something for you.