• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Othello Hunter

Craig Ehlo

• Moderators
"Billy Knight took my lunch money." Classic! I guess you have to laugh to keep from crying considering how he crippled our franchise for years to come.

Knight had major problems but by nailing Josh Smith and Al Horford and getting JJ (not Ray Allen, Larry Hughes, etc.), he left this franchise considerably better than crippled. We have a reasonable cap situation and some solid young talent. At least we aren't in a situation like Memphis, LAC, Washington, etc. That puts him ahead of a chunk of GMs...just be glad it wasn't Isiah Thomas (why didn't he just draft for the team and do nothing else?), Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, etc.

Did he completely botch the Shelden draft? Yes. Did passing on Chris Paul (and to a lesser extent Deron Williams) completely blow up in his face? Umm..yeah. Did he miss out on some other studly players like Al Jefferson, Andre Iguoladla, etc. Yup.

But we still are on pace to win 50 with Woodson as our coach so I am thinking this amounts to some decent young talent.

Because he's our fifth string center maybe? I like Othello but Solo/Zaza have been playing well of late and there has been no reason to play him.

Exactly, the guy didn't even get drafted, Zaza and Solo have been solid this year especialy Zaza.

• Premium Member
Because he's our fifth string center maybe? I like Othello but Solo/Zaza have been playing well of late and there has been no reason to play him.

umm, Othello Hunter is a 6'8" power forward! I think the thread creator is concerned about those 4 guard line ups that get destroyed on the boards by teams like the Bulls

Exactly, the guy didn't even get drafted, Zaza and Solo have been solid this year especialy Zaza.

Anthony Morrow wasn't drafted either but he got in games and actually produced back to back 30 point games. So to say becasue he wasn't drafted is another excuse for Woody. I admit I don't know much about him and if he can make any contributions in the NBA but this is majorly because I have yet to see him touch the floor.

Anthony Morrow wasn't drafted either but he got in games and actually produced back to back 30 point games. So to say becasue he wasn't drafted is another excuse for Woody. I admit I don't know much about him and if he can make any contributions in the NBA but this is majorly because I have yet to see him touch the floor.

I got to see Othello Hunter play a ton, considering I watch the Buckeyes as much as the Hawks and living in Columbus. Personally, I think it's quite amazing Othello made a NBA roster. Not saying he's not talented, but his senior year at OSU at the college level, he was extremely inconsistent. He's not a center, heck, he's small (weight) wise for a PF. However, he can block shots, that's his MO. But, from my perspective and experience watching him play so many times, he has a solid 15-18 foot jumper. People on the board will disagree with me because we haven't seen that in a Hawks uni, but trust me, that's why he's on the team. If 'squawkers think he's gonna come in and grab boards consistently, that's not gonna happen. He's not an inside force, except blocking shots. He's long, with an exceptional reach....very similar to the Bucks current center Dallas Lauderdale. 6'8 and blocks shots. Othello is weak, but apperently has the jumper to grab a spot on a NBA roster.

I got to see Othello Hunter play a ton, considering I watch the Buckeyes as much as the Hawks and living in Columbus. Personally, I think it's quite amazing Othello made a NBA roster. Not saying he's not talented, but his senior year at OSU at the college level, he was extremely inconsistent. He's not a center, heck, he's small (weight) wise for a PF. However, he can block shots, that's his MO. But, from my perspective and experience watching him play so many times, he has a solid 15-18 foot jumper. People on the board will disagree with me because we haven't seen that in a Hawks uni, but trust me, that's why he's on the team. If 'squawkers think he's gonna come in and grab boards consistently, that's not gonna happen. He's not an inside force, except blocking shots. He's long, with an exceptional reach....very similar to the Bucks current center Dallas Lauderdale. 6'8 and blocks shots. Othello is weak, but apperently has the jumper to grab a spot on a NBA roster.

I don't think it's his jumper that got him a spot on the Hawks as much as it was his hustle and his length and shot blocking ability. He's not a great rebounder and he appears to be very foul prone but with this long arms he can disrupt passing lanes and from what I remember he seems to be pretty good at blocking jump shots compared to what most players are capable of doing.

I'd like to see him get some minutes though, although I doubt he'll remain in the game long since he'll get in foul trouble quickly and if he starts making mistakes Woody will yank him quick unless we've got a big lead.

Appreciate the insight. I can't remember watching him play last year at Ohio State.

Thanks for the souting report. I actually think you answer why Hunter isn't seeing the floor right now. With Williams and Horf out, the Hawks need rebounding, but if Hunter can't give that, then its better to go with that 4 guard lineup.

If anything, the twin injuries to Williams and Horford really show the Hawks need more help on the inside, esp rebounding (yeah capt Obivious here). Hopefully Sund can find us a rebounder over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the souting report. I actually think you answer why Hunter isn't seeing the floor right now. With Williams and Horf out, the Hawks need rebounding, but if Hunter can't give that, then its better to go with that 4 guard lineup.

If anything, the twin injuries to Williams and Horford really show the Hawks need more help on the inside, esp rebounding (yeah capt Obivious here). Hopefully Sund can find us a rebounder over the next few weeks.

Very good point. All have witnessed our lack of rebounding lately. Hunter is considered a "big" on the bench, but he's not seeing the floor. Too weak inside. Last year was tough, neither he or Kosta Koufous could rebound. Koufus was a first round pick, of course...just because he played great in the NIT.

Very good point. All have witnessed our lack of rebounding lately. Hunter is considered a "big" on the bench, but he's not seeing the floor. Too weak inside. Last year was tough, neither he or Kosta Koufous could rebound. Koufus was a first round pick, of course...just because he played great in the NIT.

You guys just wait, Koufos is going to be a starting caliber NBA center within 2 years and he'll put up equal points and rebound numbers to what Zaza did for us but he'll do it with better defense.

You guys just wait, Koufos is going to be a starting caliber NBA center within 2 years and he'll put up equal points and rebound numbers to what Zaza did for us but he'll do it with better defense.

I agree 100%. He wouldn't be a first round pick without starting potential. He will be good is a few years. Right now, he's young and soft. 7 footer that can't rebound in college was frustrating to watch. He's out of Dirk's mold...he wants to play on the perimeter. Typical for Foreign players.