• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did the Hawks prove....

Diesel

• Premium Member

That Long, athletic, and versatile doesn't win in the NBA??

BK's dream was to have 3 to 4 6'7 - 6'9 guys who were long and versatile to take the court together. He didn't want a pure PG. He may have wanted a big C, but he passed on them continually. So we are the team that he has molded. This after building the team in Indy and in Vancouver that couldn't do much. Just by the way things went down, I think that BK wasn't the driving force behind getting Bibby. I think Bibby fell in our laps and Woody pushed for the deal to go through. Actually, it seems like Acie wasn't a Woody pick either.

Woodson on Acie and Crittendon

I couldn't find him on Stuckey, but it sounds like Woody didn't like the guys that day. That's probably why he doesn't like Acie now.

BK's dream was to have 3 to 4 6'7 - 6'9 guys who were long and versatile to take the court together. He didn't want a pure PG. He may have wanted a big C, but he passed on them continually. So we are the team that he has molded. This after building the team in Indy and in Vancouver that couldn't do much. Just by the way things went down, I think that BK wasn't the driving force behind getting Bibby. I think Bibby fell in our laps and Woody pushed for the deal to go through. Actually, it seems like Acie wasn't a Woody pick either.

I couldn't find him on Stuckey, but it sounds like Woody didn't like the guys that day. That's probably why he doesn't like Acie now.

The Hawks have one of the shortest frontcourts in the NBA so i don't think they qualify as long.

I thought it was obvious that Woody doesn't like to use "inexperienced" players much...

He's kind of like most banks when dealing with credit... They don't want to give you loans based on the fact you (Acie, Mario, Solo) have low or no credit, which begs the question of how to build credit when they (Woody) won't give you a chance...

I think he proved that he can't build a team...

The "long, athletic, and versatile" group would be Joe, Josh, Josh, and Marv and I suppose that group was never really special but judging based on that is hard because you are talking about judging a team that didn't have the other positions filled out and was relying on 22 years olds.

Would a lineup of Hinrich-Joe-Marv-Josh-Chandler with Chil, JJack, and Varejao off the bench work? Thats much more of an ideal "long, athletic, and versatile" lineup than AJ, Joe, Marv, Josh, Zaza with Shelden and Chil off the bench which is what we ended up with for a while.

I think he proved that he can't build a team...

The "long, athletic, and versatile" group would be Joe, Josh, Josh, and Marv and I suppose that group was never really special but judging based on that is hard because you are talking about judging a team that didn't have the other positions filled out and was relying on 22 years olds.

Would a lineup of Hinrich-Joe-Marv-Josh-Chandler with Chil, JJack, and Varejao off the bench work? Thats much more of an ideal "long, athletic, and versatile" lineup than AJ, Joe, Marv, Josh, Zaza with Shelden and Chil off the bench which is what we ended up with for a while.

That proposed team would work very well IMO.

As someone mentioned earlier, BK hired the wrong coach for the vision. D'Antoni, Nelson, or even Flip Saunders are guys that could take the vision and make it happen. I am not entirely certain it would win a championship, but that team would have been a force to reckon with. What is really annoying is that BK had the chance to get a Hinrich-like player in Roy, but we got Shellhead.

Until the Hawks have a winning season and win a playoff series or two I don't think they have proved anything.

As someone mentioned earlier, BK hired the wrong coach for the vision. D'Antoni, Nelson, or even Flip Saunders are guys that could take the vision and make it happen. I am not entirely certain it would win a championship, but that team would have been a force to reckon with. What is really annoying is that BK had the chance to get a Hinrich-like player in Roy, but we got Shellhead.

Right, and the thing about that proposed team is that it isn't particularly unrealistic. The best players are the ones we already have and the other guys have all been rumored to be on a trade block at some point over the past couple of seasons.

Its not that you can't put together a sweet team in BK's vision, its just that he didn't.

Of course Acie wasn't a woody pick, No PG would have been a woody pick. He screamed for a vet PG for years and was prolly pissed when he got Acie and made sure he couldn't succeed.

Wow so now he's not only an idiot but he's also a saboteur?

Back to the original thought, I think we've proven that BK's vision can work as long as it's balanced with the right type and amount of supporting players. Other teams have talked a lot about how tough we are to play when we're healthy and the Celtics certainly learned how well BKs vision can work considering we had no business taking them to 7 games.

• Premium Member
Wingspan isn't what matters for interior players. Standing reach is far more important. Shelden had a big winspan but his standing reach is 4" shorter than Marvin.

Wingspan matters though. Standing reach is B.S. anyway. Size matters most for interior players..

But Wingspan on G, F, and even bigs help to keep passing lanes covered defensively.

• Premium Member

I don't know about that. I think that BK wanted a defensive minded coach who would allow the team to run. D'Antoni was not the best for that and maybe not Flip. I will give Nellie some lattitude in that area though. He has coached defense before.

Wingspan matters though. Standing reach is B.S. anyway. Size matters most for interior players..

But Wingspan on G, F, and even bigs help to keep passing lanes covered defensively.

Sure standing reach doesn't matter. When a player gets a rebound are his hands above his head or stretched out sideways? When a player tries to contest a shot is his hand above his head or stretched out sidways?

Gotta love Diesel logic.

Only thing our team has proven is he made some good picks and some bad ones. Bibby and JJ were "great" pickups. So have been Sunds pickups of Flip and Evans; especially at their contract prices.

We have a good team because of BK; but we also need some more work to become great....

• Premium Member
Sure standing reach doesn't matter. When a player gets a rebound are his hands above his head or stretched out sideways? When a player tries to contest a shot is his hand above his head or stretched out sidways?

Gotta love Diesel logic.

Had you ever really played basketball, you would know that Rebounding is about positioning, timing, and strength.

Moreover, if you're picking defensive players... Wingspan is important if you want to control passing lanes without having to over compensate with a lot of footwork.

Gotta love hearing from Exodus because he can give you the Wii commentary. Try actually playing the game and maybe you will understand how Dennis Rodman dominated the league in rebounding and Eric Dampiere did not.

• Moderators

Without trying to go over the top I will say that positioning, timing, and strength are critically important but that all things being equal I will take standing reach over wingspan every time.

BK's dream was to have 3 to 4 6'7 - 6'9 guys who were long and versatile to take the court together. He didn't want a pure PG. He may have wanted a big C, but he passed on them continually.

Come to think of it, the 2nd Bulls dynasty with

Harper-MJ-Pip-Rodman-Longley and Kukoc, Kerr, and Wennington of the bench

is EXACTLY what you are talking about. Starting backcourt of 6'6 guys, starting forwards at 6'7 (all loooong arms) with a big but fairly irrelevant C and and one of the most versatile forwards in the game off the bench.

They were the best team in history, which proves the point that its not the style you play but the talent you have that wins in the NBA.