• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Something you would change about this team

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Some days I think Woody should be dipped in gold and sent to the HOF and some days I think he should be shipped out on the first thing smoking. One issue I have with Woody is his reluctance to make changes to the lineup. Think about his starting five: Joe, Bibby, Marvin, Zaza (due to Horf’s injury) and Josh. They’re all the same guy! Not so much physically but mental wise. Fans see how lackadaisical this team can be at the start of games but I seriously wonder if Woody sees this. One thing we see other coaches do is to make an occasional lineup change to infuse some energy into a team and if I’m coaching this team I’m making a change to the starting 5 now! While I do think Joe is off limits I would seriously think about starting Acie, Flip, or Mo to wake these guys up early.

• Premium Member

Aside from coaching.

I would change the following:

1. I would go after one defensive center with Speedy's contract.

2. I would teach this team variants of the 1-4 offense. Preferrably the one that was run by either Georgetown or Kentucky (for so long).

Preferably, I think our team can do a whole lot better when we give Bibby more responsibility as far as "running" the offense goes. I watched Ga Tech play WFU over the weekend. WFU suffers for only one reason, the PG wants to be more of an OG. When Teague has the ball in his hand and he's running the offense, nobody can stop Wake Forest. When he plays off the ball, WFU suffers. I think the same thing is true with us. When Bibby is not running the offense, we're kinda mediocre. You can see the difference in us playing Milwaukee twice. In the first game, Bibs had about 15 dimes and we won. Saturday, Joe held the ball most of the time and we lost. The 1-4 would make Bibby more responsible and it would put Smoove inside the arc and near the post (high or low). If we run Kentucky style, our shooters will flourish. If we run Georgetown style, our bigs will look good. It's just a win win either way we go.

I just want a more balanced offense. Joe doesn't have to take the most shots every night. He doesn't have to play 48 minutes a night. Marvin would have to step up, but with the green light I think he would. It's crazy that Marvin has only attempted more than 14 shots in a game once while Joe has taken more than 14 in all but 5 games. Hell, Joe has missed 14+ shots in 10 games.

This isn't to say that Marvin is as talented as Joe, but the shot differential shouldn't be that great IMO. Josh would also have to step up like he has been doing for most of this month.

If I could change anything about this team I would have them change back to bringing that defensive intensity that they had early in the season and during that long home stand. As bad as our offense is at times it is on the defensive end that we are getting killed. I know we have injuries but defense is about effort, on the ball and off the ball. I re-watched the second Celtics game from this season and Boston, World Champion Boston had 59 points at the start of the fourth qtr. Despite the outcome we played playoff style defense in that game. We have played that way in stretches and then other times we have given up 59 points in a half. We are not good enough offensively to not bring it on defense every night. I believe at the end of the day each player has to look themselves in the mirror and give that effort on the defensive end to the team. It can't be part of the players it has to be them all. We can't have four playing and one arguing with the officials. With this road stretch coming up I think the team needs to lock itself in the locker room and do some soul searching. Playing that type of defense is not always fun but winning is and that is what it is going to take to win.

Adding another note about Sekou's newest article about our slow starts. Everyone looks at the offense but look at how many times lately we are allowing near 30 points a quarter. When you are on the road you have to be the aggressor and we have to take it to teams defensively.

Defense keeps a team in the ball game

Edited by BeeSwatter

• Moderators

If I could only change one thing about this team it would be to install an actual offensive system that we could impose on other teams to force them to leave their comfort zone and play our style of game (whatever that is).

If I could go back in time, there are alot of personnel decisions that BK flubbed that I would like to change, but barring that, I think good coaching would have a positive impact on the teams performance. I don't think Woodson is a good coach and the teams limited successes are in spite of him.

• Premium Member
If I could change anything about this team I would have them change back to bringing that defensive intensity that they had early in the season and during that long home stand. As bad as our offense is at times it is on the defensive end that we are getting killed. I know we have injuries but defense is about effort, on the ball and off the ball. I re-watched the second Celtics game from this season and Boston, World Champion Boston had 59 points at the start of the fourth qtr. Despite the outcome we played playoff style defense in that game. We have played that way in stretches and then other times we have given up 59 points in a half. We are not good enough offensively to not bring it on defense every night. I believe at the end of the day each player has to look themselves in the mirror and give that effort on the defensive end to the team. It can't be part of the players it has to be them all. We can't have four playing and one arguing with the officials. With this road stretch coming up I think the team needs to lock itself in the locker room and do some soul searching. Playing that type of defense is not always fun but winning is and that is what it is going to take to win.

Adding another note about Sekou's newest article about our slow starts. Everyone looks at the offense but look at how many times lately we are allowing near 30 points a quarter. When you are on the road you have to be the aggressor and we have to take it to teams defensively.

Defense keeps a team in the ball game

great reply and I agree 100%. This teams biggest issue is on the defensive end and all of that is just "want-to"

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I would start Solo and bring ZaZa off the bench, unitl Horford is healthy. Solo can atleast protect the rim when guys blow by Bibby. These 1st quarters holes are getting out of hand !

With ZaZa out there its been a layup drill, just as it was before we drafted Horford.

I know alot of guys have fallen in love with ZaZa's hustle but his defense is awful. The purpose of a center, on defense, is to stop the lay up drills and ZaZa's only shot of doing that is fouling. This is especially true with Bibby at PG. Bibby cannot stop guys from penetrating in the lane and once they get to the lane ZaZa does not have the ability to protect the rim. Those are the 2 things that cause us to fall in these 10 -20 point 1st quarter holes.

When Horford comes back healthy ZaZa will be nice off the bench but he has no business starting or playing more then 15 - 20 mpg. Thanks goodness Horford might be back on Wed night. He is really needed.

• Premium Member
I would start Solo and bring ZaZa off the bench, unitl Horford is healthy. Solo can atleast protect the rim when guys blow by Bibby. These 1st quarters holes are getting out of hand !

With ZaZa out there its been a layup drill, just as it was before we drafted Horford.

I know alot of guys have fallen in love with ZaZa's hustle but his defense is awful. The purpose of a center, on defense, is to stop the lay up drills and ZaZa's only shot of doing that is fouling. This is especially true with Bibby at PG. Bibby cannot stop guys from penetrating in the lane and once they get to the lane ZaZa does not have the ability to protect the rim. Those are the 2 things that cause us to fall in these 10 -20 point 1st quarter holes.

When Horford comes back healthy ZaZa will be nice off the bench but he has no business starting or playing more then 15 - 20 mpg. Thanks goodness Horford might be back on Wed night. He is really needed.

while we're talking defense....JJ is probably the only player giving 4 quarters of defense and yet fan still expect him have a full tank to finish game offensively. It Aint gonna happen people. Joe will continue to slump late in games until some of these other guys pick it up defensively.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Some days I think Woody should be dipped in gold and sent to the HOF and some days I think he should be shipped out on the first thing smoking. One issue I have with Woody is his reluctance to make changes to the lineup. Think about his starting five: Joe, Bibby, Marvin, Zaza (due to Horf’s injury) and Josh. They’re all the same guy! Not so much physically but mental wise. Fans see how lackadaisical this team can be at the start of games but I seriously wonder if Woody sees this. One thing we see other coaches do is to make an occasional lineup change to infuse some energy into a team and if I’m coaching this team I’m making a change to the starting 5 now! While I do think Joe is off limits I would seriously think about starting Acie, Flip, or Mo to wake these guys up early.

I would add a vocal, emotional LEADER. I think JJ and Bibby are leaders in their on way, just not vocal leaders and I think every good team needs that at times.

I would PREFER a veteran but I think Horford in particular (and Smoove and Marvin to a lesser degree) has what it takes to step up and fill that role. The problem for Al is that he has to stay healthy. He has to be on the floor every night and he has to bring it every night before he will be able to get the vets to buy in.

For Smoove to do it, he has to learn to make better decisions. He has the requisite fire (at least on most nights) but you can't be taking terrible shots and then jump on guys for missing assignments or not doing what they are supposed to do.

For Marvin to do it, he has to become more assertive. He clearly has the basketball I.Q. and the communication skills to get it done but he has to become more of a constant presence rather than appearing and disappearing throughout the game.

It may not be feasible to acquire this vocal, emotional leader this year. It may have to wait until next year when either one of the younger guys steps up or we get it via trade or free agency.

I would install a functioning offense. The Pick and Post. In The Post we should consistantly have some sort of advantage (sizze or skill) with JJ, Marv or Smoove. The Pick part I would involve either of our two guards and AL since he has a decent mid range J and can/will attack the basket. ALL PLAYERS NOT INVOLVED WITH THE PLAY WOULD CRASH THE BOARDS to counter some of our frontlines lack of size.

I would install a functioning offense. The Pick and Post. In The Post we should consistantly have some sort of advantage (sizze or skill) with JJ, Marv or Smoove. The Pick part I would involve either of our two guards and AL since he has a decent mid range J and can/will attack the basket. ALL PLAYERS NOT INVOLVED WITH THE PLAY WOULD CRASH THE BOARDS to counter some of our frontlines lack of size.

Good call but I think its already installed in the offensive system. I'm sure when Horford gets healthy we will see more of it with him. Smith and ZaZa have done a pretty good job of it in his absence the last month. Normally JJ runs it with Smith and Bibby runs it more with ZaZa...........ZaZa really does not post up, its more of a plain pick & roll with ZaZa and Bibby but Smith seems to have been doing what your saying with JJ for a while now. When the defense over committs to Smith and JJ on this play, JJ normally swings it cross court to either Bibby, Flip, or Marvin for an open 3.

Edited by coachx