• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NFL Strength of schedule for 2009

Admin

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-5/A...-schedules.html

Congratulations, Miami Dolphins. You went from a 1-15 joke to inspirational AFC East champs and a trip to the playoffs.

Your reward? The NFL's most thankless schedule.

All four AFC East are in the same situation because they will play the AFC South and NFC South, divisions that produced four playoff teams. Nobody in the NFC South had a losing record.

The AFC East has four of the league's seven harshest schedules. Sending two teams to the playoffs will be extremely difficult in 2009. It's not unfathomable to imagine a 10-6 or 9-7 record taking the division.

The New England Patriots have the third-toughest schedule. Their opponents went 151-105 for a .580 winning percentage. The Buffalo Bills have the sixth-toughest (146-110, .570). The New York Jets are just a skosh behind the Bills because of a tie (145-110-1, .568).

But the Dolphins face the most rugged road, albeit barely.

Their opponents posted one fewer victory than the Patriots and one fewer tie than the Carolina Panthers. The Dolphins finished atop the AFC East, which means they must face every first-place AFC team. They'll also draw the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Diego Chargers.

The AFC East had a far more painless schedule in 2008. It played the AFC West and NFC West, divisions that produced one winning record -- not each, but combined. Western divisions compiled an aggregate 45-83 record, a .352 winning percentage.

The Bills had the second-easiest actual 2008 schedule (determined after season), with their opponents going 116-140 for a .453 winning percentage. Only the San Francisco 49ers had it easier.

The Dolphins owned the 27th-easiest actual schedule (118-138, .461). The Jets were 26th (120-135-1, .471), and the Patriots were 22nd (123-133, .480).

Looks like the NFL doesn't want this year's superbowl participants missing the playoffs based on those numbers!

Amazing isn't it? I hope we'll see the Dolphins and Falcons overcome the tough schedules and make the playoffs anyway next year.

One thing about the NFL that I do not like is how skewed the schedules are. You can have a team play a S.O.S. at around .600 and another that plays around .400 in the same season. In no other sport is there a chance for that great of a magnitude or difference.

I know it isn't feasible for the NFL to have every team play each other at least once, but that is one major aspect I think the sport misses at.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-5/A...-schedules.html

All four AFC East are in the same situation because they will play the AFC South and NFC South, divisions that produced four playoff teams. Nobody in the NFC South had a losing record.

The AFC East has four of the league's seven harshest schedules. Sending two teams to the playoffs will be extremely difficult in 2009. It's not unfathomable to imagine a 10-6 or 9-7 record taking the division.

Wow ! The NFC South and AFC East each has 4 of league's 8 hardest schedules. Together they makes up the 8 hardest schedules in all of football !

The 2 toughest divisions in the NFL will be beating up on each other. What a break for the rest of the league !

The Cardinals are so lucky to be in the NFC West. If there were in any other NFC division they would not have even been in the playoffs this last season.

• Moderators
It's all about what divisions your division is going against that particular season.

It happens. All you gotta do is win your division, therefore the deck is somewhat even.

I agree except for the wildcard. 1/3 of all playoff teams are wildcard teams and your odds drop significnatly with this kind of schedule compared to playing the NFC West, for example.

The Falcons had the NFC West on the schedule 2 years ago and couldn't do jack with it. Blame it on Hurricane Petrina, Mike Prick, whatever.

THey still couldn't do anything with it.

I've got 2 grand tied up in next year's Falcons team and I'm personally not overly concerned with the schedule at this point in the offseason.