• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin Makes Bucher's All Quasar (The Best Not Quite Stars) Team

Traceman

Marvin Williams, Hawks - Nothing appeals to the All-Quasar selection committee more than a guy who sloughs off being dogged early and quietly builds himself into a reputable player with almost no fanfare. Throw in that he's sustaining concussions and taking postgame IVs for a Hawks team not long on self-sacrifice, and Williams is cosmic dust of the first order. Aside from being an underrated defender and one of the best rebounding SFs in the league (6.5), he went from shooting 10 percent from 3-point range last season to 37.1 percent so far this season.

I sure hope Marvin pulls a "Caron Butler" and becomes an All Star caliber player as Butler is a guy that Bucher put on this team a few years ago who later blossomed into an All Star.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...asar2009-090210

I sure hope Marvin pulls a "Caron Butler" and becomes an All Star caliber player as Butler is a guy that Bucher put on this team a few years ago who later blossomed into an All Star.

Thanks for posting this Trace! I had to do a double take when I read that about him taking post game IV's and concussions. Sometimes we forget the pounding that he takes in trying to be so physical, even if some of his pounding is due to his own awkwardness.

I could absolutely see him become a slightly lesser version of Butler offensively and a better version defensively, but as the #4 option it will never happen. He'd have to go to a team where he can be the #2 option in order to become that type of player.

Yes, its good to see Marvin starting to get national recognition. The kid is a good ball-player, who can still become an All-star NBA player. I don't think he'll ever make superstar status (yes, put in the Chris Paul/Deron William bemoaning here, but honestly would either of those guys be as good under Woodson?), but he's a damn fine guy to have on the team.

You said it not me!!! I would love that...

Marvin Williams become a Charon Butler type player....AND I JIZZED IN MY PANTS!!!!

I can't knock Marvin. I always wondered about people critcizing his rebounding. Some of his stronger, snag rebounds all but intimidate opposing teams.

But All-Star someday? No. LeBron has his spot for the next ten years. That leaves a couple of spots for Marvin, which I highly doubt. I don't think people would be outraged or even considerably concerned if Caron Butler hadn't made an All-Star appearance, and he is light years ahead of Marvin as far as consistency.

I wonder how high ASG will go to keep Marvin? Teams are going to be after him this offseason.

No telling, but a big bodied small forward who defends, rebounds, has three point range, and shoots over 80% from the line is going to command something in the range of Smoove's contract.

Marvin is still very young just as Smoove is....at only 21, he still has a lot of potential left. If he was Bibby and JJ's second option 100% of the time, he would be averaging 16 to 17 a game right now. And when Flip is on the floor...well Flip is his own 1st and 2nd option lol.

I like our team a lot this year...we have so many options now; but you better believe everyone in the NBA is also paying attention to Marvin's all around growth this season.

Edited by Buzzard

Funny how many people here get on him for not rebounding enough...even a cursory glance at rebounding numbers tells you he's better than average for a SF.

Yeah, but a cursory glance at his stats doesn't tell you that he spends about a third of his time playing PF.

He's still a solid rebounder for a SF, but cursory glances never tell the whole story.

Yeah, but a cursory glance at his stats doesn't tell you that he spends about a third of his time playing PF.

He's still a solid rebounder for a SF, but cursory glances never tell the whole story.

So what is "your" whole story crimedog?

One of our players gets some pretty good props; so you add a backhanded slap to the post because he is talented enough to play PF if our coach wants to play small ball or our starting PF or Center is either hurt or in foul trouble. Come on man where is the love for our team and players?

And maybe you don't understand this or just do not know how to put it in the right context; but that really is a compliment to Marvin and is part of what makes him such a solid all around player.

Edited by Buzzard

So what is "your" whole story crimedog?

One of our players gets some pretty good props; so you add a backhanded slap to the post because he is talented enough to play PF if our coach wants to play small ball or our starting PF or Center is either hurt or in foul trouble. Come on man where is the love for our team and players?

And maybe you don't understand this or just do not know how to put it in the right context; but that really is a compliment to Marvin and is part of what makes him such a solid all around player.

I have not hard feelings for Marv. You can look at my post history and see that I pretty much have the same refrain for Marv, he's a solid to slightly above average player who does as much as he can with his abilities and the people who expect him to be a star just thought that he had more natural talent and athleticism.

As far as whether or not he's versatile enough to play PF for stretches, yeah, sure he is. What does that have to do with the fact that a power forward should rebound more than a small forward and Marv plays a good chunk of his time at power forward and therefore comparing him to guys who only play SF is misleading? Nothing.

I have a lot of love for our team and players, I just happen to think that none of them are flawless.

Marv is very solid. He isn't near a "not quite all star" in my opinion, but he's average/above average at his position and he's only 22.