• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Horforf vs. Oden

Wurider05

I tell you what NJ. People can say what they want, but you're looking like a genius right now. Because your description of Oden from 2 years ago is exactly on point right now, even when he is healthy.

Most of your great big men, were great right from their rookie seasons. There was no "learning curve" when they came into the league. They immeadiately stepped in and dominated.

The injuries are definitely limiting what he can do. But like Horford, it wasn't like Oden was a dominant offensive force to begin with. NBA centers aren't going to let you get point blank at the rim all the time . . unless you're as powerful as Shaq, and can move them out of your way. Oden might have to put on 30 - 40 lbs, to be a truly dominant force on the inside.

But you seem to be right NJ. Oden is looking more like Mutumbo-lite, than anything else.

Oden doesn't have the fluidity to be a great offensive player. That said, is there a team in the league that couldn't use a "Mutumbo-lite"?

Just as a counterpoint, which great pivots in history came into the league after one year or less in college and immediately produced? Pat, Zo, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Walton, KAJ, Malone, McHale, Parish, and Admiral all played 3 or 4 years in college. Even Webber played 2.

Yao and Pau played pro-ball before they came.

If we are talking purely about "learning curve" its not really fair to judge Bynum, Oden, Howard, Garnett, etc. to any of those guys except Moses Malone, who was very nasty in the ABA from the get go.

So if we want to talk about "learning curve", especially offensively, how far behind Dwight is Oden this season? Answer would be he's ahead of him actually, draws fouls at the same rate but scores at a higher %... just plays fewer minutes.

Now it is a very very very legitimate question about whether or not he'll ever be healthy enough to play a full season or whether knee and ankle injuries will destroy his career. Still though, comparing his skill to a rookie Tim Duncan is like wondering why Kobe wasn't as skilled as Ray Ray his first year in the league. They started their pro-careers at different points on the learning curve.

I find it funny how this learning curve stuff applies to everyone in the league except for our own players. Oden just looks lost out there. He is soft. Those knees and ankles aren't going to get better over time.

I find it funny how this learning curve stuff applies to everyone in the league except for our own players. Oden just looks lost out there. He is soft. Those knees and ankles aren't going to get better over time.

How on earth doesn't it apply to our own players?

I still think Smith and Marv have a lot of room for growth. I think Al has less room for growth than some people around he do, but if he decided that he wanted to be more aggressive a face-up scorer, he'd be a lot more of a force on offense.

His knees and ankles are for sure a concern. If you think he's soft, I can say with 100% certainty you haven't watched very hard.