• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can the ASG afford Bibby and Marvin!

Wurider05

I am surprised that this hasn't been brought up before around here. With the money problems that the ASG are having do they have enough to pay Bibby and Marvin. Don't forget I think that Horf will be up next season as well for an extension. It would be a shame if we lose all this progress because these guys are broke!!!

Bibby and Marvin can both potentially be re-signed next season for less (16-18 million) than what they're getting paid now (nearly 21 million) so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm more worried about having enough money left over to add quality pieces to the bench.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

Going by this we have $40 million committed to next year to 7 players. We do have the money to keep Marvin and Bibby(assuming Bibby doesn't break the bank). Let assume Marvin get a salary starting off at $8-$9 mil per and Bibby at $7-$8 mil per. Add our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick. That will give us around 11 players under contract for around $60 million. We should be fine. We will likely need to go big man with our first and/or 2nd round pick though. This will likely mean Flip is gone.

Edited by HawksJJHorford

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

Going by this we have $40 million committed to next year to 7 players. We do have the money to keep Marvin and Bibby(assuming Bibby doesn't break the bank). Let assume Marvin get a salary starting off at $8-$9 mil per and Bibby at $7-$8 mil per. Add our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick. That will give us around 11 players under contract for around $60 million. We should be fine. We will likely need to go big man with our first and/or 2nd round pick though. This will likely mean Flip is gone.

Kinda off-topic, but we have a link to the team's salaries above where it says "Links"... mouse over it and there's something that says "Atlanta Hawks Salaries".

EDIT: Dolfan, the link is broken.

Edited by Libid21

• Premium Member

Keep in mind when looking at the total salary number that it doesn't necessarily reflect the total money actually being paid to the players.

Joe's cap hit is ~$1.8M greater than his salary and Speedy could receive up to $4M of his salary next year from the insurance company. (The latter being an educated guess on my part, of course).

Edited by mrhonline

Kinda off-topic, but we have a link to the team's salaries above where it says "Links"... mouse over it and there's something that says "Atlanta Hawks Salaries".

EDIT: Dolfan, the link is broken.

The link isn't broken. Maybe their site was down when you tried it but I'm there now right from that link.

We won't have to worry about Bibby, because teams are loading up for 2010 and won't break the bank for an aging PG. And as for Marvin, don't forget that we could still resign Chillz after the season. This is why I believe that Marvin is expendable. We need to move him for a big or a more competent 3..ala Josh Howard.

We won't have to worry about Bibby, because teams are loading up for 2010 and won't break the bank for an aging PG. And as for Marvin, don't forget that we could still resign Chillz after the season. This is why I believe that Marvin is expendable. We need to move him for a big or a more competent 3..ala Josh Howard.

I think that at this point in time Marvin is better than Chillz. I will go as far to say that the gap between Smoove and Marvin is shrinking daily. I don't think MArv is expendable. Bibby and Marv will earn their contracts in the post season if ASG has the money. They maybe a little more careful this summer because a lot of guys (Smoove, Iggy, etc.) got overpaid. I just don't see Marvin asking for a whole less than what Smoove got. The Smoove that supposedly earned the contract and the Smoove that is cashing the checks now is not the same player.

Edited by Wurider05

I think that at this point in time Marvin is better than Chillz. I will go as far to say that the gap between Smoove and Marvin is shrinking daily. I don't think MArv is expendable. Bibby and Marv will earn their contracts in the post season if ASG has the money. They maybe a little more careful this summer because a lot of guys (Smoove, Iggy, etc.) got overpaid. I just don't see Marvin asking for a whole less than what Smoove got. The Smoove that supposedly earned the contract and the Smoove that is cashing the checks now is not the same player.

What are you talking about? He is having easily his best year offensively. The only reason his blocks are down is because he has been playing with a bad ankle.

You're joking right lol??? the one player we didn't really miss when he was out was Marvin...