• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

In retrospect

Wurider05

• Admin
Do you think Iverson is OK in Woody's non-offensive system if he is the 3rd or 4th option on the team offensively? If not, I don't think that is a perfect match by any means. (I can't imagine why anyone would want AI to be even as high as the 4th option on the team in any event. His TS% is worse than all 5 of our starters plus most of our bench). If AI could mentally accept a role like Flips, I would agree with you.

I agree with you AHF. I would HATE to have him here. Even in his better years I would not want him. He would ruin this team and his attitude would influence other teammates. He is even crying now over in Detroit because he is not getting to start (saying he would rather retire then come off the bench).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Iverson can positively contribute to any team anymore, personally. His defense is slightly better than Bibby's but he can't contribute as a defender anymore than Mo Evans can contribute offensively compared to Mario West. In his best days, Iverson was a mediocre defender who rang up a ton of steals by gambling defensively. Good for the stats, not the worst thing for the defense considering he was good at it, but not nearly as good as someone who just shuts down their man. Today, that steal rate has declined but Iverson's approach on defense is still the same.

Even offensively what does AI contribute anymore? His .504 true shooting percentage is way lower than Bibby's .546. In fact, Iverson's efficiency is so bad that he would be 10th on the Atlanta Hawks - meaning that you want 9 guys trying to score before Iverson. His efficiency in a limited role of late is even worse so you can't look at him as the next Flip. Flip is a much better Flip than Iverson on both ends of the court.

AI needs the ball in his hands too much to be effective on any team that has better players and he is unwilling to take a back seat to other players as his "I'll retire before I do the exact same thing that Rip Hamilton did" comments make clear.

I think AI would be a horrendous fit in Atlanta.

The idea of him playing for the Bobcats is problematic as well. What does Iverson give you at this point that DJ Augustin can't do better next year? Augustin scores with a .596 TS%. Why would you EVER want Iverson trying to score over Augustin? I do agree that for Iverson that would be a great move - he would have Okafor to cover for his defensive mistakes and a limited range of offensive talents to compete with for shots. He would also have a coach that knows what Iverson needs to be successful. All good for AI. However, I think Larry Brown is bright enough to know that what is good for Iverson is not good for the Bobcats.

I stopped replying when I realized that you hate A.I. and most of what he is. I'm not going into detail because I don't know you but I can clearly see that by your replies on this subject. To say that A.I. shooting percentage would not get much higher in Atlanta is absurd. He will play in a system that fits him. To compare him to Flip is just insanity. Really? Flip Murray. Whatever your personal feelings about A.I. may be shouldn't affect the fact that he would be a great player in OUR system. The End.

• Moderators

Sorry. How could I bash AI's shooting when he is obviously such an efficient player? Know how many seasons in his entire career that AI has scored as efficiently as Flip this year?

One. Outside of last year's season in Denver, AI has eclipsed Flip's .549 TS% once in his entire career.

That is also the only season he has ever scored more efficiently than Bibby has this season.

So what is the offensive upside when you know AI pounds the ball a ton more than Bibby and significantly more than Flip and he scores less efficiently during his prime than the two of them this year?

Here are some other guys scoring more efficiently this year than every season in AI's career but his season in Denver:

Keyon Dooling

Tyronn Lue

Chris Duhon

Delonte West

CJ Watson

Kyle Lowery

Kirk Hinrich

Mario Chalmers

Chris Quinn

Antonio Daniels

Steve Blake

Jamal Crawford

Jarrett Jack

Jason Kidd

Andre Miller

Nate Robinson

Derek Fisher

Note: I excluded guys who are thought to be good shooters like Ben Gordon because that just isn't fair to compare AI to those guys and I focused on guys who are volume scorers, deficient scorers or just clearly not starter worthy.

Note 2: This is against the 2nd most efficient season in AI's career. The list of people who shot better than him this season would not fit in this post. Sorry Aaron Afflalo, Will Bynum and others. Maybe next post.

It sounds like, by this thread, Atlanta doesn't want either A.I. or Bibby. I couldn't agree more.

Can we get a PG with a good attitude, nice jump shot, that will actually play some defense?? Neither Bibbs or Iverson fit all of these.

I would take Iverson, warts and all. He's the second scorer that this team needs, unless Marvin or Josh ever develop into that guy but they arent there yet. He can get to the hole, only Flip can really do that (Joe occasionally). He'll be able to run with us. He'll draw fans and exposure. And he'll be cheap...for the mid-level exception at most, you're getting a player that can score 18-20 a game.

The only thing I dont like is his attitude about the bench, but since he'd start for us it wont be a problem.

I could see getting him as a short term plug in that would put butts in the seats. I saw the Hawks play the Pacers at home and Phillips was almost empty. Everyone knows our team plays good at home, but imagine if Atlanta could sell out more games w/o it having to be Orlando, Boston, or the Cavs. With that in mind, I suppose I could take A.I.

Good point Balla