• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

That's the Marvin I like to see

TheDude

I missed the first half of the game but saw the second half. There was a period of time there where essentially Marvin wanted the ball and attempted to score every single Hawks posession. It was like he was Joe Johnson all of a sudden. Now in the end of the 4th Marvin missed some shots but I don't care, he kept shooting, driving, and being aggressive. I couldn't believe my eyes really. He was even more aggressive than I would hope.

And Joe and the whole team kind of knew it (or planned it). They kept feeding the ball to him and he kept looking to score. Maybe it was some of the trashtalking being done.

IN any case, if he is that aggressive most of the time as is Horford offensively, we can be a good team. But they have to realize it's important they be that aggressive or we go no where.

Sekou made the comment on his blog that he'd like to see Marvin and Horford "be allowed" to do that more often, or something along those lines...

If Smith is "allowed" to shoot 3s i seriously doubt that Marvin isn't allowed to be more assertive. I doubt that Horford isn't allowed to take 15 footers. Horford made 6 jumpers last night. He has been left open all season in the 15-18 foot range.

At some point it is up to the player to look to score. You can't just blame things on the coaches or other players. Sure JJ and Smith frequently try to force the issue too much but that isn't the only reason why Horford and Marvin don't get more shots. Those two need to look to score when they get the ball.

If Smith is "allowed" to shoot 3s i seriously doubt that Marvin isn't allowed to be more assertive. I doubt that Horford isn't allowed to take 15 footers. Horford made 6 jumpers last night. He has been left open all season in the 15-18 foot range.

At some point it is up to the player to look to score. You can't just blame things on the coaches or other players. Sure JJ and Smith frequently try to force the issue too much but that isn't the only reason why Horford and Marvin don't get more shots. Those two need to look to score when they get the ball.

They do need to look to score more but JJ, Smoove and Bibby need to look for them more too. I remember one sequence last night where Marvin had just hit a deep 3 and then on the next possession he made an aggressive move to the basket, got fouled and made 2 FTs. On the next possession, he went back to the spot where he had made the previous 3 and was WIDE OPEN as JJ dribbled around at the top and ignored him. JJ ended up passing the ball to Flip who passed it to Marv later in the possession and Marv ended up driving to the hoop and taking a MUCH tougher shot than the one he would have had if JJ had thrown him the ball in the first place. I guess what I'm saying is that Marv and Al need to be more than a "last resort" and when they are making shots like they were last night, JJ and company need to look for them.

They do need to look to score more but JJ, Smoove and Bibby need to look for them more too. I remember one sequence last night where Marvin had just hit a deep 3 and then on the next possession he made an aggressive move to the basket, got fouled and made 2 FTs. On the next possession, he went back to the spot where he had made the previous 3 and was WIDE OPEN as JJ dribbled around at the top and ignored him. JJ ended up passing the ball to Flip who passed it to Marv later in the possession and Marv ended up driving to the hoop and taking a MUCH tougher shot than the one he would have had if JJ had thrown him the ball in the first place. I guess what I'm saying is that Marv and Al need to be more than a "last resort" and when they are making shots like they were last night, JJ and company need to look for them.

Exatcly, Joe and Flip only pass when have to. This team doesn't share the ball and when they actually start sharing they are at their best.

Exatcly, Joe and Flip only pass when have to. This team doesn't share the ball and when they actually start sharing they are at their best.

Woody rather have his play makers with the ball then without it. That's just the way his offense works.

Oh, give me a break, ex. You know as well as we all do that 90% of the plays run through Joe or Flip.

I also know that when Horford gets the ball 18 feet from the basket with his man several feet off him his usual course of action is to stand there with his elbows out looking for someone to pass to.

I also know that when Marvin gets the ball, especially on the break, he frequently treats the ball as if he was a hot potato even if there is nobody guarding him.

Smith plays in the same offense that Horford and Marvin do. he certainly doesn't have a problem getting enough shots up.

I also know that when Horford gets the ball 18 feet from the basket with his man several feet off him his usual course of action is to stand there with his elbows out looking for someone to pass to.

I also know that when Marvin gets the ball, especially on the break, he frequently treats the ball as if he was a hot potato even if there is nobody guarding him.

Smith plays in the same offense that Horford and Marvin do. he certainly doesn't have a problem getting enough shots up.

Did you see Marvin grab the ball, take it all the way down the court and blow by JR Smith on the break for a nice and 1? I would LOVE to see him do that more.

Did you see Marvin grab the ball, take it all the way down the court and blow by JR Smith on the break for a nice and 1? I would LOVE to see him do that more.

That is why i get so frustrated by him sometimes. I have seen him so often get the rebound and start the break, or get an outlet on the break, and immediately try to pass even though nobody is on him. He frequently turns it over doing that and i just want to smack him.

I have noticed a big change in Marvins game this year. He used to just dive into people all the time looking to draw a foul but not trying to score. Now he is staying much more in control inside and sometimes even shoots those short floating jumpers that JJ shoots all the time.

No it isn't just you. At least we know Marvin has it in him.

It is definitely in him to be aggressive when we have starters out. I think he has proven that. I would like to see if he has it in him to CONSISTENTLY be aggressive when all the starters are on the floor with him.

In my opinion, Woody needs to "help" him and "force" him to be more aggressive by calling his number more and by telling the other players to look for him. If he sees Marvin not being aggressive, he should pull him out and get on his case. If he sees the other guys not getting the ball to him when he should be getting it, he needs to jump on their cases as well. I think Marvin has the talent to be a consistent solid 2nd option to JJ because of his ability to knock down open shots combined with his ability to get to the line.

Marvin looked great last night. Demanding the ball, taking it strong to the hoop. Hitting his FTs. Diving all over the floor for loose balls. He was almost 100% of the reason we were in that game at the end. I'd rather see that guy nightly. Great effort. It rubbed off on the rest of the guys as well.

Marvin looked great last night. Demanding the ball, taking it strong to the hoop. Hitting his FTs. Diving all over the floor for loose balls. He was almost 100% of the reason we were in that game at the end. I'd rather see that guy nightly. Great effort. It rubbed off on the rest of the guys as well.

It sure did. I thought JJ looked more energetic last night on both ends than I've seen him in a while. I thought all of the guys played really hard in the 4th. Chauncey is just so dang smart and Melo and JR Smith hit some BIG shots. I thought Smith's 3's were TERRIBLE decisions by him....until they went through the nets. He shot both of them VERY early in the shot clock and if he had missed it would have aided our comeback efforts tremendously but he knocked them down. I see why he drives Karl crazy but the kid has talent.

• Admin

I don't think Smith is allowed to shoot 3s anymore. He doesn't take them anymore unless at the buzzer

• Premium Member

Marvin seems to always play well when a key player(s) is out. He demands the ball and has the fire in his eyes that he wants to score. When JJ went down Marvin was a 25+ point scorer both games, now that Smith/Bibby were gone he drops 30. He just needs to be more assertive, period.

I don't think Smith is allowed to shoot 3s anymore. He doesn't take them anymore unless at the buzzer

Woody said point blank that he wasn't going to tell Smith to stop shooting 3s. It is more likely that Smith realized a guy who can't make a foul shot probably shouldn't be shooting 3s.