• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith the Worst FT% shooter in the league

GameTime

Are you so bad at math that you cannot realize that no one that you mentioned right there had a drop of more than .1 from one year to the next? Am I being extremely strict on my criteria? Yes, but everyone on this board knows you have done the same thing multiple times in arguments in the past.

Are you so bad at math that you don't realize Smith doesn't fit that criteria either?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you so bad at math that you don't realize Smith doesn't fit that criteria either?

Last year Smoove shot .710 from the line. Currently he is shooting .554. Now go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Calculator. First type in "." then "710" now hit that button that looks like "-" and enter "." then "554." To complete the process hit "enter." Now you see that number that shows up on the calculator? If you somehow didn't fail to screw up the process it should show .156. Now go get your 2nd grade math textbook out and flip to the section on the Alligator symbols. Here is the problem:

.1 _ .156

Fill in the blank.

Where did I get .710 from? It was Smoove's percentage from last year. Where did .554 come from? Smoove's percentage this year. That would be a change from one year to the next. How does that not fit my criteria? Here comes the new Exodus excuse, too bad I won't be around to see it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithjo03.html

Last year Smoove shot .710 from the line. Currently he is shooting .554. Now go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Calculator. First type in "." then "710" now hit that button that looks like "-" and enter "." then "554." To complete the process hit "enter." Now you see that number that shows up on the calculator? If you somehow didn't fail to screw up the process it should show .156. Now go get your 2nd grade math textbook out and flip to the section on the Alligator symbols. Here is the problem:

.1 _ .156

Fill in the blank.

Where did I get .710 from? It was Smoove's percentage from last year. Where did .554 come from? Smoove's percentage this year. That would be a change from one year to the next. How does that not fit my criteria? Here comes the new Exodus excuse, too bad I won't be around to see it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithjo03.html

:lol6:

Your criteria was "year over year" not "year over partial year". I guess you are "strict with your criteria" on everbody but Smith. Either that or you don't understand sample size.

Man, my partner was WAY past caring WHERE the ball landed in the service box, he just wanted it IN. It got so bad that he would hit his first serve at about 50% of his capability (far less than the pace of his "normal" second serve) just so he wouldn't have to hit his second serve.

In your pitching analogy, think of a guy who just wanted to get the ball across the plate, even if it was slow and right down the middle. Think Tom Glavine lobbing the ball underhanded like a softball pitcher just trying to get it across the plate. That is where my partner was at.

It was way too early to read you say "my partner" since I had forgotten about you talking about tennis yesterday!

How about another similar situation like with Chuck Knoblauch? He was among the best 2nd baseman in the league and throwing from 2nd base to 1st base was nothing short of routine and he could do it in his sleep and then all of the sudden he couldn't do it anymore and then next thing you know he is out of the game entirely.

• Premium Member
It was way too early to read you say "my partner" since I had forgotten about you talking about tennis yesterday!

How about another similar situation like with Chuck Knoblauch? He was among the best 2nd baseman in the league and throwing from 2nd base to 1st base was nothing short of routine and he could do it in his sleep and then all of the sudden he couldn't do it anymore and then next thing you know he is out of the game entirely.

Hawksfanatic acts like it's impossible to lose confidence doing something that is routine. Funny how he's the only one in this thread arguing the point.

There was a catcher that had a similar mental block about throwing the ball back to the pitcher. He couldn't throw it back right away. he would take a few tries before he could actually let go of the ball. I can't remember his name though.

As a rookie Shaq shot 59% from the line and got steadily worse even though he practiced constantly. Just a few years ago he shot 42% with the Heat.

This year Shaq is shooting 62%, a career best. Why? It is because he took Grant Hills suggestion and started shooting them the same way he did in high school.

Hawksfanatic acts like it's impossible to lose confidence doing something that is routine. Funny how he's the only one in this thread arguing the point.

The big reason for me as to why I believe it's a mental block is because he has been a steady FT shooter for most of his career and this year he has dropped off quite a bit and I just don't believe that a guy who has put in so much work to become an NBA player would all of a sudden quit practicing (or lessen the amount of) FT's, especially when he's seen how it has affected him. This is a guy who is known to really worry about what people think about him and that leads me to believe even more that he's over thinking this and has a fear at the FT line that he's going to miss. Kinda like public pee syndrome LOL

There was a catcher that had a similar mental block about throwing the ball back to the pitcher. He couldn't throw it back right away. he would take a few tries before he could actually let go of the ball. I can't remember his name though.

As a rookie Shaq shot 59% from the line and got steadily worse even though he practiced constantly. Just a few years ago he shot 42% with the Heat.

This year Shaq is shooting 62%, a career best. Why? It is because he took Grant Hills suggestion and started shooting them the same way he did in high school.

LOL I think that catcher went by the nickname "rube" in the movie Major League.

As far as Shaq taking Grant Hill's suggestion, I truly hope that isn't the case otherwise NBA coaching is in a sad state of affairs if it takes all these years and another player to fix a broken FT shot.

LOL I think that catcher went by the nickname "rube" in the movie Major League.

As far as Shaq taking Grant Hill's suggestion, I truly hope that isn't the case otherwise NBA coaching is in a sad state of affairs if it takes all these years and another player to fix a broken FT shot.

No that catcher was a real guy. The catcher ended up getting let go because he was getting on the pitchers' nerves.

It is true about Shaq's free throws. They were together watching a tape of Shaq in HS and Grant suggested the change. They were talking about it on TV a few weeks ago.

No that catcher was a real guy. The catcher ended up getting let go because he was getting on the pitchers' nerves.

It is true about Shaq's free throws. They were together watching a tape of Shaq in HS and Grant suggested the change. They were talking about it on TV a few weeks ago.

Yeah it is true. His HS form is as ugly as his pro form, its just more effective for him. I guess his shooting coaches in the past either tried to make him shoot more traditionally or, just as likely, Shaq only listens to people he respects and Hill happens to be one of those people.

Oh I didn't mean that there wasn't a real player, I was just joking since I remember that from the movie.

I believe you on the Shaq thing too, it's just sad that it took Grant Hill to fix his FT shooting after all these years.

• Premium Member
The big reason for me as to why I believe it's a mental block is because he has been a steady FT shooter for most of his career and this year he has dropped off quite a bit and I just don't believe that a guy who has put in so much work to become an NBA player would all of a sudden quit practicing (or lessen the amount of) FT's, especially when he's seen how it has affected him. This is a guy who is known to really worry about what people think about him and that leads me to believe even more that he's over thinking this and has a fear at the FT line that he's going to miss. Kinda like public pee syndrome LOL

We know he hasn't quit practicing them, any basketball team shoots at least 50 free throws per player during every practice. Considering Smith shot free throws at his normal rate to start the season, it's just not possible that's the problem. Regardless, people just don't forget how to shoot free throws, especially when you shoot them every day.

• Moderators

Dale Murphy was a 5 time gold glover. Yet...

Early in his career, the Braves thought Murphy was going to be their answer as a catcher. However, the parts of the 1976 and 1977 seasons he played as a catcher proved one thing -- Murphy simply didn't have the arm to be an effective backstop. He even had problems throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

http://www.historicbaseball.com/players/m/murphy_dale.html

Edited by AHF

:lol6:

Your criteria was "year over year" not "year over partial year". I guess you are "strict with your criteria" on everbody but Smith. Either that or you don't understand sample size.

Excuseodus strikes again.

Excuseodus strikes again.

So math is an excuse now?

Strictly speaking Smith does not meet your criteria. That is a mathematical fact. I notice you aren't even trying to argue. Funny how you didn't even understand your own criteria. Thanks for the laugh.

BTW what do you think Smith is doing in practice while everyone else is practicing foul shots?