• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our board vibe sucks

thecampster

I've been debating about posting this thread for days and I've been as guilty as anyone about this but I've got to get this out.

The Hawks are currently 34 and 26 (60 games into the season). This is the 13th best record in the NBA and 4th best in the eastern conference. 17 teams have a worse record.

This has been accomplished with arguably one of the bottom tier coaches in the league.

34 games missed by one member or another of the starting 5.

3 games where someone was injured early or played ill. So in only 23 of 60 games (38%) could we say the starting 5 was even present.

With an ownership mess hanging over the teams head and a 7 million dollar a year salary cap handicap anchor not playing (claxton).

Without a true center or really a true point guard.

With having played 6 more games on the road than at home.

With Childress running to Europe.

Maybe it's time everyone take a step back and give all our players a break. Maybe we should applaud Bibbs, Joe, Marvin, Horford and Smith. Yes we all want to win every game every night and that's possible with this group. There is no team they can't beat. But 2 years ago they finished 2007 with a 30 win, 52 loss record and finished 13th in the eastern conference.

Let's lighten up on calling for everyone's head. Next year alot is going to shake out. Someone will want Claxton and his insurance payments and expiring contract for 2010. Bibby will be getting a 4-7 million dollar pay cut. Childress will be back or his rights will be traded freeing up even more space. Instead of nitpicking our players and being so negative I think it's time to get behind this team. If they come together and continue to show improvement in their new offensive sets (see big guys getting majority of shots last night), this team I think actually can make hay in the second round this year. It's time to get behind them, all of them.

• Premium Member
I've been debating about posting this thread for days and I've been as guilty as anyone about this but I've got to get this out.

The Hawks are currently 34 and 26 (60 games into the season). This is the 13th best record in the NBA and 4th best in the eastern conference. 17 teams have a worse record.

This has been accomplished with arguably one of the bottom tier coaches in the league.

34 games missed by one member or another of the starting 5.

3 games where someone was injured early or played ill. So in only 23 of 60 games (38%) could we say the starting 5 was even present.

With an ownership mess hanging over the teams head and a 7 million dollar a year salary cap handicap anchor not playing (claxton).

Without a true center or really a true point guard.

With having played 6 more games on the road than at home.

With Childress running to Europe.

Maybe it's time everyone take a step back and give all our players a break. Maybe we should applaud Bibbs, Joe, Marvin, Horford and Smith. Yes we all want to win every game every night and that's possible with this group. There is no team they can't beat. But 2 years ago they finished 2007 with a 30 win, 52 loss record and finished 13th in the eastern conference.

Let's lighten up on calling for everyone's head. Next year alot is going to shake out. Someone will want Claxton and his insurance payments and expiring contract for 2010. Bibby will be getting a 4-7 million dollar pay cut. Childress will be back or his rights will be traded freeing up even more space. Instead of nitpicking our players and being so negative I think it's time to get behind this team. If they come together and continue to show improvement in their new offensive sets (see big guys getting majority of shots last night), this team I think actually can make hay in the second round this year. It's time to get behind them, all of them.

Dude, I'm with you but this won't work here. This is our best season in a decade and the fans know that. But it seems that too many here are still stuck in the past when it comes to this team. They will never be "happy" with this team's performance. People are calling out player after player trying to make them the reason that we are "struggling" even though we are NOT really struggling. Sometimes, I'm actually shocked at how quiet it gets around here after a win. Yet, the board is buzzing after a loss, especially after a bad loss. I understand a person's right to critique the players and/or coach, but why are positive threads so rare around here? I'd just like to see it a little more balanced, that's all.

Edited by hawkman

Did Diesel ever make a positive day this year yet? I haven't been very active on the board this year so I don't remember.

No

And Positive Day isn't strictly a Diesel thing. He took the concept and took it to the 10th level, attempting to schedule chats with people like Sekou Smith, etc. etc. His idea didn't come to fruition but we can make Positive Day happen.

Dude, I'm with you but this won't work here. This is our best season in a decade and the fans know that. But it seems that too many here are still stuck in the past when it comes to this team. They will never be "happy" with this team's performance. People are calling out player after player trying to make them the reason that we are "struggling" even though we are NOT really struggling. Sometimes, I'm actually shocked at how quiet it gets around here after a win. Yet, the board is buzzing after a loss, especially after a bad loss. I understand a person's right to critique the players and/or coach, but why are positive threads so rare around here? I'd just like to see it a little more balanced, that's all.

agree, agree, agree. Im proud of this team for playing the way the have this season so far with all the injuries that they had. I dont expect to win a championship this season but I think we can advance to the 2nd round..thats what I expect so doing that and anything more would be wonderful. Sure we can improve in some areas but I love this team!

This is our best season in a decade and the fans know that. But it seems that too many here are still stuck in the past when it comes to this team. They will never be "happy" with this team's performance.

The reason we're not happy is because you're right, we are stuck in the past. The Hawks had a playoff team for 18 out of 20 years, I think. They could never get past the second round, so they blew it up. Then the ASG got their hands on the team and here we are. We had a good team before. Probably a lot better than this one will ever be. So, I won't be truly happy until Woody is gone and we can see what these guys can really do. Ignorance is bliss comes to mind regarding the Hawks. The league is so down. I don't think I've ever seen this many mediocre to bad teams. It's no real accomplishment that we have a 4 seed. In fact, it's really sad that Woody has been very content with not reaching for the 3. But what else is new? The only real change for us is Flip Murray and an improved Marvin, and Bibby for the whole year. That's about it.

Lastly, negative fans are way better for a team than positive ones. Unfortunately, not enough people cared enough about the Hawks to shout from the rooftops regarding the franchise demise. It just sort of happened without anyone noticing. Negative fanbases don't allow that to happen. I'm actually proud of the growing negative fans we have. Strive for excellence.

And we've got Graymule. He's equal to, like, 20 of us!

The reason we're not happy is because you're right, we are stuck in the past. The Hawks had a playoff team for 18 out of 20 years, I think. They could never get past the second round, so they blew it up. Then the ASG got their hands on the team and here we are. We had a good team before. Probably a lot better than this one will ever be. So, I won't be truly happy until Woody is gone and we can see what these guys can really do. Ignorance is bliss comes to mind regarding the Hawks. The league is so down. I don't think I've ever seen this many mediocre to bad teams. It's no real accomplishment that we have a 4 seed. In fact, it's really sad that Woody has been very content with not reaching for the 3. But what else is new? The only real change for us is Flip Murray and an improved Marvin, and Bibby for the whole year. That's about it.

Lastly, negative fans are way better for a team than positive ones. Unfortunately, not enough people cared enough about the Hawks to shout from the rooftops regarding the franchise demise. It just sort of happened without anyone noticing. Negative fanbases don't allow that to happen. I'm actually proud of the growing negative fans we have. Strive for excellence.

It's human nature for people to complain more than praise. Misery loves company. I can't speak for all of you, but I see it at my job and it's just easier to bit@h and moan rather than be positive and focus on what's right. I agree with you 100% and when I do read a positive post, which this thread began with, I'd like to add that we are still very young even with all the distractions and our shown improvement. Kudos to all that bring a positive thread now and then, but around here, the negative do out weight the positive. On the flip side, everyone around here are die hard fans of the Hawks, and for the past decade it's been miserable. It's going to take more than one uplifiting playoff series and one good season to change the entire perception of this board.

I LOVE the Hawks. They can't do anything wrong.

Just look at Zaza. He is so cute and cuddly he reminds me of a Teddy Bear. Don't even get me started on Josh Smith. The way he crinkles his nose when he misses a 3 is just so darn adorable. We are so lucky to have Al "Pretty Boy" Horford and Marvin "Super Gay" Williams. AND JOE... Oh boy, he makes me want to crap rainbows.

:love:

Wait... this wasn't the change of vibe you were going for was it... awww crap. Umm.. Go Hawks?

Edited by ATLSmith

I think it would be very interesting to count negative vs. positive post and I bet it would not be as overwhelming on the negative side. I think the negative stuff just gets a lot more attention, just like on the evening news. We gloss right over the stuff that is not sensational.

• Premium Member

It's one thing to call out the team/organization on poor performance, it's quite another to take a huge crap on the team after a win or to single out a player to bash after a win. It's gotten to be more about "the battle of agendas" rather than the team playing well and getting better. We can win a game, but if a guy's favorite player doesn't get enough time on the court, Woodson's an idiot or the guy that got his minutes sucks. I can see that happening during the years that we sucked, but we have bigger things to be concerned about now. We have a greatly improved team with decent chemistry and a firm hold on the 4th spot in the East. Support these guys! The time for childish bickering over draft position, trades, and who does or does not get the ball or minutes is over. We have a very realistic chance of getting into the second round this postseason. After that, anything can happen. The fans are coming back to the games and seem to be more energized as well. This is actually one of the few moments in recent memory where I can actually say that it is good to be a Hawks fan. Enjoy it now guys because you never know what will happen next season.

• Premium Member

this board was much better before I joined. Now it's just the b-ball version AtlantaFalcons.com. We all should start a campaign to return the board to it's early brilliance.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
So let me see...we complain about the coach. The players. The players we didn't get but should have. The columnists. The beat writer. Now we are complaining about ourselves??

:brick wall:

we also complain about ourselves complaining about ourselves :nono:

this board was much better before I joined. Now it's just the b-ball version AtlantaFalcons.com. We all should start a campaign to return the board to it's early brilliance.

You are wrong. A year ago you couldn't have a contentious basketball discussion without a flame war erupting.

• Premium Member
No

And Positive Day isn't strictly a Diesel thing. He took the concept and took it to the 10th level, attempting to schedule chats with people like Sekou Smith, etc. etc. His idea didn't come to fruition but we can make Positive Day happen.

I have to say, I'm shocked...

I created Positive Day....

I invented the marketing of positive day.

How is it not a Diesel thing?

I have to say, I'm shocked...

I created Positive Day....

I invented the marketing of positive day.

How is it not a Diesel thing?

I believe we spoke about Positive Day (I didn't click your link but I assume it's a December 08 thread) back in 2007 along the time Bibby was acquired. I may be mistaken.

Anyhow I guess my next point would be some people come up with ideas, some people get things done. I'm not sure Dolfan is comfortable with Positive Day having teeth in respect to users having their account temporarily suspended for that day for crossing the Positive Day line but we can try to make it happen.

If there is a consensus the board is behind it for the most part I think it's an idea to be explored.

P.S. checked the link you're correct - you did come up with the concept. It needs to be streamlined back to the 07 plan though

Edited by gsuteke