• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel's remedies for Hawks Sickness.

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. Suspend Smoove for 3 games.
  2. Fire Woody after Detroit.
  3. Bring in AJ

It doesn't matter if you like AJ or not, learn to love him. He's a good in game manager, he is good with personnel, and he is a good disciplinarian.

1. Resign Flip, Bibby, Marvin and Zaza.
  2. Buy out Del Harris' contract with Chicago. Make him top assistant.
  3. Offseason. Smoove, Chillz (SNT)( Or Mo) 1st, and cap space for Chris Bosh. Or work out a three way that nets us David Lee and Jared Jeffries.

I'm not a fan of Chris Bosh, but I would take his productivity over Smoove's attitude. I think the Raps would do it rather than Lose Bosh for nothing. I don't see us making a move for a real 5 so we may as well keep Horf there... but give him a PF that can score in the post.

If Bibs doesn't work out, then we need Felton.

• Premium Member
Who in their right mind would take the job with the court case that is pending. Insanity.,

The right coach would name his price and it wouldn't matter what the case says... if you coach 2 months and make 6 Million... it's great.

If I am not mistaken Avery gets paid $3 million/yr by Cuban as long as he doesn't take another coaching job. I doubt the ASG will pay him enough to bring him in. He also got mixed reviews with Dallas although he would surely be a big upgrade over Mr Potato Head.

1. Suspend Smoove for 3 games.
  2. Fire Woody after Detroit.
  3. Bring in AJ

It doesn't matter if you like AJ or not, learn to love him. He's a good in game manager, he is good with personnel, and he is a good disciplinarian.

1. Resign Flip, Bibby, Marvin and Zaza.
  2. Buy out Del Harris' contract with Chicago. Make him top assistant.
  3. Offseason. Smoove, Chillz (SNT)( Or Mo) 1st, and cap space for Chris Bosh. Or work out a three way that nets us David Lee and Jared Jeffries.

I'm not a fan of Chris Bosh, but I would take his productivity over Smoove's attitude. I think the Raps would do it rather than Lose Bosh for nothing. I don't see us making a move for a real 5 so we may as well keep Horf there... but give him a PF that can score in the post.

If Bibs doesn't work out, then we need Felton.

While I don't necessarily agree with all of your personnel moves - I do agree with changing coaches ASAP. It may be that our current roster isn't going to be able to co-exist...but I would give it a little time with a new coach to see. Chances are there are pro-Woody and an anti-Woody factions in the locker room. Can those factions be brought back together - I don't know. Step 1 is a coaching house cleaning before it's too late.

No,...start Smoove tonight and move on. If Carmelo can disrespect his coach and shoot jumpshots last night, so can we. Crap happens, but we still have to play...for this year. I'm no longer in business of waiting til next year. We still have the 4th seed to play for and benching Smoove for 3 games severly damages those chances.

As far as the offseason goes, it's obvious Woodson has to go. Lets start there before we shake up the roster. I'm sure Toronto will take that trade..for a 1 year rental of Bosh that Atlanta would get.

If I am not mistaken Avery gets paid $3 million/yr by Cuban as long as he doesn't take another coaching job. I doubt the ASG will pay him enough to bring him in. He also got mixed reviews with Dallas although he would surely be a big upgrade over Mr Potato Head.

It's a shame about the ownership deal and the money. Avery is a man who commands respect. He played at an historically AA college under one of the legendary coaches - no way any of the guys would disrespect him.

No,...start Smoove tonight and move on. If Carmelo can disrespect his coach and shoot jumpshots last night, so can we. Crap happens, but we still have to play...for this year. I'm no longer in business of waiting til next year. We still have the 4th seed to play for and benching Smoove for 3 games severly damages those chances...

Agreed - as much as I'd like to buy Woody a ticket out of town today - we do still need to play the season out and make the playoffs - who knows what might happen then.

Agreed - as much as I'd like to buy Woody a ticket out of town today - we do still need to play the season out and make the playoffs - who knows what might happen then.

I agree. Woodson needs to go, but the fact is, he's not. Sund is not going to get rid of him at this point in the season. We have less than a 1/4 of the season left, and sitting, albeit slim , with home court advantage in the playoffs. Not many people on this board are going to like what I'm about to write but if the Hawks finish .500 these last 20 games or so (44-38) and are fortunate enough go 7 games in the first round or win a forst round series....Woody is getting an extension. I think the chances of him staying put are greater than him being gone next year.

• Premium Member
While I don't necessarily agree with all of your personnel moves - I do agree with changing coaches ASAP. It may be that our current roster isn't going to be able to co-exist...but I would give it a little time with a new coach to see. Chances are there are pro-Woody and an anti-Woody factions in the locker room. Can those factions be brought back together - I don't know. Step 1 is a coaching house cleaning before it's too late.

As of right now, I see this as Woody has lost his coaching nerve. I won't say control of the team because many on the team still listens to Wood. But as a coach, you should not have raised Smoove the way you did and now we are paying the price. You don't really have control. Some love Woody because he gives them all kind of control. Sorta like my 3rd grade teacher. She let us do whatever we wanted to do in her class. However, when I got to 4th grade, I had a teacher who actually taught. Right now, Woody is the third grade teacher. Some on the team loves him because he allows them to do what they want to do. However, we need somebody who will come in here and teach.

As far as AJ with the Mavs. He took that broken team to the finals. Nuff said. I don't care who you are, if you have been to the finals, you are better than 90% of the coaches in the game. Moreover, when we get Speedy's check from the insurance company, we should set aside some of it to pay AJ. I'd rather have AJ and a possible visit to the ECF than to have Woody and going home after the first round.

• Premium Member
No,...start Smoove tonight and move on. If Carmelo can disrespect his coach and shoot jumpshots last night, so can we. Crap happens, but we still have to play...for this year. I'm no longer in business of waiting til next year. We still have the 4th seed to play for and benching Smoove for 3 games severly damages those chances.

As far as the offseason goes, it's obvious Woodson has to go. Lets start there before we shake up the roster. I'm sure Toronto will take that trade..for a 1 year rental of Bosh that Atlanta would get.

Suspending Smoove is just a discipline matter. What we have to create in Atlanta is a Hawks way. There is a way of professionalism that breeds success in Atlanta. We have high expectations and we have a way that our players are to act and perform. That kinda stuff starts from the ownership down. Therefore, i would start it tonight with Smoove. Let him know that how he has acted is not the Hawks way and if he doesn't want to be a Hawk, we can arrange that at the end of the season, but while he suits up as a Hawk, he will respect his coach.

If we just fired Woody, Smoove (like a child) would think he was right to have his hissy fit. I think we can teach and do both...

Suspending Smoove is just a discipline matter. What we have to create in Atlanta is a Hawks way. There is a way of professionalism that breeds success in Atlanta. We have high expectations and we have a way that our players are to act and perform. That kinda stuff starts from the ownership down. Therefore, i would start it tonight with Smoove. Let him know that how he has acted is not the Hawks way and if he doesn't want to be a Hawk, we can arrange that at the end of the season, but while he suits up as a Hawk, he will respect his coach.

If we just fired Woody, Smoove (like a child) would think he was right to have his hissy fit. I think we can teach and do both...

I disagree...

If Smoove had disrepected Woody so badly, he should not have let him sit on "his" bench during the second half. If it wasn't bad enough for Smoove to go back to the hotel..during half time, it's not bad enough for him to stay home...24hrs later. And you say "how he acted is not the Hawks way"...how did he act? All we know is there was some sorta confrontation between the two, that wasn't bad enough for Smoove to be sent away...but not cordial enough for him to play the 2nd half. 3 game suspension? right....

Edited by HawkNJersey

There's the rub...you have to fire the incompetent coach while explaining to the player (JS in this case) that he needs to get his arse in gear.

• Premium Member
I disagree...

If Smoove had disrepected Woody so badly, he should not have let him sit on "his" bench during the second half. If it wasn't bad enough for Smoove to go back to the hotel..during half time, it's not bad enough for him to stay home...24hrs later. And you say "how he acted is not the Hawks way"...how did he act? All we know is there was some sorta confrontation between the two, that wasn't bad enough for Smoove to be sent away...but not cordial enough for him to play the 2nd half. 3 game suspension? right....

How many times have you heard of a player (any NBA player) putting their hands on their coach?

Let's see... Spreewell was suspended for Half of a season for Choking dude from Seton Hall. BY THE LEAGUE.

We're not talking about refusing to do something on the court here, we're talking about an altercation. That sir is not professional. If the organization doesn't address the fact that Smoove was out of line or Woody was out of line, what type of crack pipe organization do we have here?

How many times have you heard of a player (any NBA player) putting their hands on their coach?

Let's see... Spreewell was suspended for Half of a season for Choking dude from Seton Hall. BY THE LEAGUE.

We're not talking about refusing to do something on the court here, we're talking about an altercation. That sir is not professional. If the organization doesn't address the fact that Smoove was out of line or Woody was out of line, what type of crack pipe organization do we have here?

This is the first I heard of Smoove putting his hands on Woody or even touching him...care to inform the rest of us?

Second, we are not the first...nor the last organization to have verbal incidents or potential touching( according to you) between coach and player. And it happened in the team friendly confines of the lockeroom. Not for public display. Hell, if a husband and wife can fuss and fight, yet pay the bills...why da hell can't 2 grown *ss men disagree in private?

All the public saw, was the discipline of Smoove...nothing more. If Smoove were Solo and never got any playing time, we may have never heard about this.

Well it's one thing when a player jumps on an older coach who can't defend himself. I'm no Woody fan but I wouldn't want to fight him. He looks big and strong and with that "prize pumpkin" head of his you could hit hit him all day without hurting him much. I didn't see any blood or stitches after the half so I doubt it was much more than posturing and maybe a missed swing.

JS versus Woody would be an interesting fight. JS would get in a few punches early but Woody would get pissed eventually and corner him. Once it came down to pure physical strength and weight I'd take Woody. :ph34r:

• Premium Member
This is the first I heard of Smoove putting his hands on Woody or even touching him...care to inform the rest of us?

Click here

Hawks' head coach Mike Woodson and forward Josh Smith reportedly had to be separated during halftime of the team's game against the Bobcats on Friday night.

Woodson reportedly got into Smith's face criticizing him for selfish play, and the forward responded defensively.

That still doesnt mean Smith physically laid hands on Woody. They could have been cussing each other out in such a heated exchange that fisticuffs were inevitable. It could have been a case that both parties were separated before that point in time arrived.

Just saying. An altercation can, but does not by definition have to be, physical.

That still doesnt mean Smith physically laid hands on Woody. They could have been cussing each other out in such a heated exchange that fisticuffs were inevitable. It could have been a case that both parties were separated before that point in time arrived.

Just saying. An altercation can, but does not by definition have to be, physical.

[/quote

I agree. I can't see Smoove coming back out of the locker room if he touched Woody at all. I just can't see that happening. When Mo talked about all the "drama" going on, it leads me to believe that Woody and Smoove were verbally abusing each other again....like two high school girls.