• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Offense

Wurider05

As the playoffs loom around the corner we need to fine tune our offense to better take advantage of our talent. The way the offense is setup now we won't survive a 7 game series with anyone. Lately for the most part our scoring is balanced. The point I am trying to make is the is it really necessary that when JJ has the continous bad shooting nights like he does when we have guys who can pick up the slack. At this point JJ is just a poor shooter it has been too long to call it a slump. Balance will make us dangerous.

JJ-----28 for 67 (42%) in his last five games with 34 assists

MB----22 for 56 (39%) in his last five games with 18 assissts

AH----34 for 59 (58%) in his last five games with 11 assists

MW---30 for 64 (47%) in his last five games with 7 assists

JS-----29 for 59 (49 %) in his last five games with 4 assists

FM----21 for 53 (40%) in his last five games with 7 assists

164 out of 358 (46%) with 81 assists

Here are my observations from the stats and from watching the games:

Bibby and JJ are shooting too many jumpers and for our backcourt to be shooting 41% is horrible.

We need more assist from Marv, JS, Flip.

Horf needs more touches and more assists

We may need to run the offense through Bibby and let him facilitate. JJ is dribbling too much and then passes that ball forcing that player to shoot. That may explain the low assist numbers for MArv, Smoove, and Horf. Our guys need to get the ball in good spot. There is not way we should be the 19th ranked offense in league with our talent (we are the 11th ranked defense.

What do these number tell you about our offense?

• Premium Member
As the playoffs loom around the corner we need to fine tune our offense to better take advantage of our talent. The way the offense is setup now we won't survive a 7 game series with anyone. Lately for the most part our scoring is balanced. The point I am trying to make is the is it really necessary that when JJ has the continous bad shooting nights like he does when we have guys who can pick up the slack. At this point JJ is just a poor shooter it has been too long to call it a slump. Balance will make us dangerous.

JJ-----28 for 67 (42%) in his last five games with 34 assists

MB----22 for 56 (39%) in his last five games with 18 assissts

AH----34 for 59 (58%) in his last five games with 11 assists

MW---30 for 64 (47%) in his last five games with 7 assists

JS-----29 for 59 (49 %) in his last five games with 4 assists

FM----21 for 53 (40%) in his last five games with 7 assists

164 out of 358 (46%) with 81 assists

Here are my observations from the stats and from watching the games:

Bibby and JJ are shooting too many jumpers and for our backcourt to be shooting 41% is horrible.

We need more assist from Marv, JS, Flip.

Horf needs more touches and more assists

We may need to run the offense through Bibby and let him facilitate. JJ is dribbling too much and then passes that ball forcing that player to shoot. That may explain the low assist numbers for MArv, Smoove, and Horf. Our guys need to get the ball in good spot. There is not way we should be the 19th ranked offense in league with our talent (we are the 11th ranked defense.

What do these number tell you about our offense?

I have to mildly disagree with you.

You fail to see the good:

1. IN 5 games, JJ is averaging just about 7 assists. In other words, He's making things happen.
  2. I agree that MB and JJ's FG% is too low, but.... JJ does other stuff and MB has been sick.
  3. Horf is the allstar!
  4. You won't get assists from Marv, Flip and Smoove because they are finishers.
  5. 46% for a team FG% is not so bad at all.
  6. Offensively, we lack a program, but we're learning to find each other.
  7. Us now vs Us last year is night and day. Last year at this time, we had no clue. Now, we don't look so bad. We just need to keep HC advantage through the first round and take our chances in the 2nd.

Well JJ does hold the ball to much BUT he does get in the paint and move the ball. So what about moving JJ to PG when Bibby is out of the game and run flip at 2?

• Moderators

Seeing as Flip basically backs up both Bibby and JJ, and Woody doesn't like to use Acie it would seem like activating Speedy would be good idea. I know no one has any faith in Speedy but a second team backcourt of Speedy and Flip, while small, would be tough defensively.

Offtopic. sorry.

Yeah I think so too. I mean JJ is pretty much playing pg. So we need a guard who can guard opposing points and break down the defense. If Acie was being brought on properly then we could let Bibby walk as I am pretty sure his offense could be replaced collectively. Woody should give Law more pt at the point just for defensive purposes. He isn't great but he is better than Bibby. I mean if Speedy was active if probably would be a major help for us defensively. We play decent Zone but damn near every pg in the league can get passed Bibby.

Edited by Wurider05

• Premium Member
We may need to run the offense through Bibby and let him facilitate. JJ is dribbling too much and then passes that ball forcing that player to shoot.

This is Woodson's design for our offense and we end up as a jump shooting team as a result. The problem is that even the best jump shooting teams will only go so far. Another problem is that we're streaky. When the shots fall, we're golden and can pretty much beat anyone. When the shots don't fall, we suck...and it's a quarter by quarter thing.

We need more people creating on offense. We need more players attacking the basket. We need more touches to go down low. Until then, we are pretty much guaranteed to be anything on any given night.

With the likelihood of a bad loss to good teams, or a close win/loss to the bad teams.

Or a strange..."How the hell did we lose to the Knicks" game....

• Premium Member
This is Woodson's design for our offense and we end up as a jump shooting team as a result. The problem is that even the best jump shooting teams will only go so far. Another problem is that we're streaky. When the shots fall, we're golden and can pretty much beat anyone. When the shots don't fall, we suck...and it's a quarter by quarter thing.

We need more people creating on offense. We need more players attacking the basket. We need more touches to go down low. Until then, we are pretty much guaranteed to be anything on any given night.

With the likelihood of a bad loss to good teams, or a close win/loss to the bad teams.

Or a strange..."How the hell did we lose to the Knicks" game....

I will say this.. I have liked some of the ball movement I have seen recently. Guys making that extra pass really helps our offense. Good LookN Smoove!!

• Premium Member

Man...earlier in the year when they moved the ball all over the court, they looked UNSTOPPABLE. We need more ball movement in our offense and MUCH less standing around watching Joe go 1 on 3.