• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks' performance vs. Jazz/Blazers/Dallas may answer questions...

HAWKS1986

Marvin has expanded his game, but he still had his streak of indecisiveness as a three point shooter and when he attacks the basket, he gets stripped more than finishing strong. And do these continuing holes in his offensive game detract from the Hawks against better opponents (i.e. Portand, Utah, Dallas, Lakers, Celts, etc.) I was a little surprised to see the Hawks pull away from Chris Paul's Hornets, but it seemed to me offensively they were more fluid and showing an increased proficiency in making three point shots.

Maurice Evans has been primary a bench performer, but the Hawks are 9-1 when he starts, and he isn't as tentative in shooting three points shots. When the Hawks were burning teams early in the season, Flip and Maurice's outside shooting was prominent.

When Evans and Flip are more involved along with Acie growing more confident, then the likelihood of Josh taking unnecessary outside shots goes down considerably. Josh Smith can concentrate more on rebounding, blocking and altering shots and being a post scorer.

The Hawks have a stretch of games at home against ABOVE .500/.600 Western teams and if Marvin is out, then will we see a more explosive Hawks' team that are making more impact plays on the fast break and outside the three point arc and thus increasing the chances of distancing ourselves in the fourth quarter from the Hawks' opponents (like the Hornets game) instead of being bogged down in a nail-biter...

Marvin's tentativeness as a scorer (especially as a three-point scorer) was a drawback especially with Joe Johnson on the floor, but increased playing time from a more willing and confident three-point shooter in Maurcie Evans and Flip Murray is more likely to help the Hawks able to finish teams off..especially at home..

It's a theory, but we are about to find out how this team plays with Marvin on the bench watching...against above .500/.600 teams

Edited by HAWKS1986

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explosive?

In spite of the fact that JJ had his hottest game had in recent memory the Hawks still only scored 89 pts shooting 40%. They average 98 ppg shooting 45.6%.

Explosive? I don't think that's the correct adjective to describe our offense. Perhaps a fast break here or there might get us off our seats, but to call Woody's offensive explosive is a stretch. Not to mention w/out Marvin in the line-up. Smoove is exciting, "explosive" at times...and Marvin is the next best thing to having an exciting player on offense.

You'd think Hawks fans would be proud of their team for stepping up with one of their key players down for the stretch run, but instead it just fuels all this anti-Marvin nonsense when the guy got hurt playing the best basketball of his career. This is pretty sad.

• Premium Member
Explosive?

In spite of the fact that JJ had his hottest game had in recent memory the Hawks still only scored 89 pts shooting 40%. They average 98 ppg shooting 45.6%.

This is just another stupid Josh Smith fan continuing their tired act of trying to disparage Marvin at all cost! Even if it take them making statement that make them look like total idiots! We are just going to have to face reality, we just have a very weird fan base and that's how it going to be. Oh well, business as usual on Hatesquawk!

You'd think Hawks fans would be proud of their team for stepping up with one of their key players down for the stretch run, but instead it just fuels all this anti-Marvin nonsense when the guy got hurt playing the best basketball of his career. This is pretty sad.

I think Hawk fans is proud of their team for adjusting, but every year evaluations take place. Last year, Childress left the team for Greece and it wasn't really a void when he left--the team got better.

A lot of people are happy Marvin had been playing more aggressively and consistently and attempted to see him expand his game. It's unfortunate that he is hurt, but if this teams does better without Marvin, execute better as a team, then Marvin's future with the Hawks is in serious doubt.

I think Hawk fans is proud of their team for adjusting, but every year evaluations take place. Last year, Childress left the team for Greece and it wasn't really a void when he left--the team got better.

A lot of people are happy Marvin had been playing more aggressively and consistently and attempted to see him expand his game. It's unfortunate that he is hurt, but if this teams does better without Marvin, execute better as a team, then Marvin's future with the Hawks is in serious doubt.

Yeah you are probably right. Since JJ shoots so much better without Marvin and Smith rebounds so much better without Marvin we should probably just let him go.

I should have guessed that Smith would go from averaging 4 rebounds per game to 12 rebounds per game when marvin went out.

This is just another stupid Josh Smith fan continuing their tired act of trying to disparage Marvin at all cost! Even if it take them making statement that make them look like total idiots! We are just going to have to face reality, we just have a very weird fan base and that's how it going to be. Oh well, business as usual on Hatesquawk!

This is actually pretty similar to your Chris Paul rant yesterday. How do you think we feel..

• Premium Member
If we win these next few wins, it only reinforces that we're a pretty good home team. I would still rather have Marvin on the team than without.

Nobody is saying get rid of Marvin (unless a good trade comes along). Just saying that we should be realistic about how our team works. Maybe Joe should start at the 3 and Marvin come off the bench.