• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks defensive improvement.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Over the last 5 games, we rank third in the NBA in scoring differential (+5.6). Number 6 (.440) in opponents FG% and #1 (88.0) in opp PPG.

On the season that's 12 in scoring differential (1.48), 10th in opponent FG% (.453), and 11th in opp PPG (98.1)

That's right, our defense over the last 5 games is holding teams to 10 ppg less than it has all season. Pretty impressive!!

Sekou credits Mo..

Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson usually draws the assignment of guarding the other team’s best perimeter player. Having Evans in the lineup gives Hawks coach Mike Woodson another veteran option in that regard.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last 5 games, we rank third in the NBA in scoring differential (+5.6). Number 6 (.440) in opponents FG% and #1 (88.0) in opp PPG.

On the season that's 12 in scoring differential (1.48), 10th in opponent FG% (.453), and 11th in opp PPG (98.1)

That's right, our defense over the last 5 games is holding teams to 10 ppg less than it has all season. Pretty impressive!!

Sekou credits Mo..

Dear lord, make it stop.

• Premium Member
Evans isn't playing any more minutes than he usually does and he got lit up by Roy. Logic takes a holiday when Diesel's Marvin hate gets the best of him.

The facts are stated above. Above, we have huge jumps in our defensive play.

There's no hate for Marvin there. It just so happens to be one of the catalyst of this 5 game winning streak.

You may offer your opinion, but I have not seen you address the facts yet. Just the normal accusation and name calling you normally do. Momentarily, you'll probably be reaching for some pictures also. The facts will still be.. we're playing much better defensively during this streak.

Is it Woody's coaching? Or Personnel?

There's no hate for Marvin there. It just so happens to be one of the catalyst of this 5 game winning streak.

You may offer your opinion, but I have not seen you address the facts yet. Just the normal accusation and name calling you normally do. Momentarily, you'll probably be reaching for some pictures also. The facts will still be.. we're playing much better defensively during this streak.

Is it Woody's coaching? Or Personnel?

Roy had 29 pts shooting 11/19 from the field. Who was guarding him?

• Premium Member

Marvin has only missed 4 games

I think we are starting to believe in ourselves again like we did in last years playoffs and we did at the start of the season. Maybe the Hawks have finally figured out that defense and rebounding wins games and complaing to the ref and playing outside of your game doesnt.

But i was excited in the chat as soon as portland got the ball, we were so aggressive early and held it throughout the game.

It is funny how Diesel uses Sekou when it suits him. The other they he was saying that Sekou was deceiving us. Manyou are so full of crap it isn't even funny anymore!!!

LOL i forgot about that. He slings to much BS it is hard to keep track of it.

• Premium Member
It is funny how Diesel uses Sekou when it suits him. The other they he was saying that Sekou was deceiving us. Man you are so full of crap it isn't even funny anymore!!!

Well, Wu, i still don't trust Sekou. I said that he credits Mo. I have different thoughts on the matter. I just wanted to hear what you all had to say. Mainly, I was interested in you alls take on the matter... Not what you all felt about me but funny.. that's all I get these days. I guess because there is a section of you who don't come here to talk about the facts. And when the facts are in your face, you result to insults and subject changes. Sorta like your post here.

It's like Wu said "I can't talk about the facts, let me talk about Diesel."

That's the sad part of the whole thread Wu.

Well, Wu, i still don't trust Sekou. I said that he credits Mo. I have different thoughts on the matter. I just wanted to hear what you all had to say. Mainly, I was interested in you alls take on the matter... Not what you all felt about me but funny.. that's all I get these days. I guess because there is a section of you who don't come here to talk about the facts. And when the facts are in your face, you result to insults and subject changes. Sorta like your post here.

It's like Wu said "I can't talk about the facts, let me talk about Diesel."

That's the sad part of the whole thread Wu.

LOL @ Diesel of all people pretending to talk about facts.

So who was guarding Roy last game?

*crickets*

How did Marvin's absence improve Smith's rebounding by such a huge margin?

*crickets*

You have been avoiding the facts like they had leprosy.

• Premium Member
I think we are starting to believe in ourselves again like we did in last years playoffs and we did at the start of the season. Maybe the Hawks have finally figured out that defense and rebounding wins games and complaing to the ref and playing outside of your game doesnt.

I don't know if you are right, but I hope you are.

Sekou credits Mo..

Our D at home has been pretty darn good all year but it has been exceptionally good since the Clippers couldn't miss back on 2/7. Since then, Utah's 93 is the most we've given up and we've held 7 of 8 opponents to 90 or less. If we keep defending like that at Philips, we are going to be hard to beat.

• Premium Member
Roy had 29 pts shooting 11/19 from the field. Who was guarding him?

So in other words, the fact that we shut down the PTL team is not good defense?

No one man contribution will ever be more important than what the team can do. If you kill the team, then that 1 man contribution is just padding his own stats. I guess that's your blindness ex. You want to talk about one player and you miss the whole team picture.

The fact is that over the past 5 games, we're holding teams to 10 points less than our season average.

The fact is that over the past 5 games, 44% which is 1.3% less than they have during the season.

Please continue to ignore the facts as you try and build your strawman.

• Moderators
The fact is that over the past 5 games, we're holding teams to 10 points less than our season average.

The fact is that over the past 5 games, 44% which is 1.3% less than they have during the season.

Can you post the season averages for home games versus the past 5 games if you have them handy?

No one man contribution will ever be more important than what the team can do. If you kill the team, then that 1 man contribution is just padding his own stats. I guess that's your blindness ex. You want to talk about one player and you miss the whole team picture.

Still can't answer who was guarding Roy? Maybe you should try watching the games. You might learn something.

There are several reasons for the Hawk improved D lately;

-fewer turnovers leading to fewer fast breaks for the opposition.

-better defensive rebounding

-JJ hitting his shots, leading again to fewer fast breaks.

-a healthy and non sulking Josh Smith.

Mo Evans is not one of those reasons.Roy ripped him a new one.

I notice you haven't volunteered any theories as to why the Hawks defense has improved. I think we all know what your answer is and it has nothing to do with any facts.

Diesel here is the problem with what you are assuming. You are taking one part of an equation and saying it can't be ignored. Let me give an example.

It has rained for the last 3 days in Atlanta, therefore Atlanta must therefore not be in a drought.

Now we all know this would be absurd. There is alot more to it than 3 days of drizzling. So too has the last 5 games been more than just the absence of marvin. So too has the 12 and 1 with Mo starting. Given your logic, JJ was a bad pickup as the stats prove the hawks win without him. But a full understanding of the situation shows that the coach changed the offensive game plan to involving the games Joe was out and Marvin and Josh had big games. The rotations changed. Intensity and attitudes changed. Someone had more coffee that day and someone had less. There was more going on than just Marvin going out. There was a coach / player battle. There was a players only team meeting. There was the team coming home from alot of games on the road.

Just my personal humble opinion, but there is a credibility issue when you stretch your argument as you have. Your original argument was that the hawks should have drafted a point guard the year they drafted Marvin Williams. This is a solid argument. One that I back you up on (as I am not a total moron). But to lay credit against Marvin for the Hawks recent improvement is not enough proof. If you are arguing against Marvin then you also have to include the other pertinent stats. Your argument currently against Marvin is a win loss ratio and therefore he isn't as good or important. The hawks were 8-0 when Marvin doesn't play. Therefore Marvin is replaceable and should be shipped out of town. Using that same logic. The Hawks are 2-0 when Joe Johnson is out and is therefore replaceable just like Marvin and should at least not start. The Hawks are 6-7 when Josh Smith is out and is therefore needed to be good enough to make the playoffs. The Hawks are 0-2 when Mike Bibby is out and therefore is irreplaceable. We can't win without him and he should always be on the floor.

Now this is the logic you are employing but only as it deals with Marvin. Given this example it shows a total lack of credibility. You need a better method and honestly you can't find it. Marvin is a good player and a quality starter. He is not the best player in the league and yes we should have drafted Chris Paul or Deron Williams. But he is a Hawk now and should be looked at for his value as a Hawk and not compared to where he was drafted. Instead I say answer this question. Would you resign him and for how much? Or better asked, how much would another team have to offer him for you to let him walk.