• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks defensive improvement.

Diesel

• Premium Member
HAHAHAHAHHA you sure come up with some crazy stuff.

JJ at the 3 would be irrelevant because, from the other teams perspective, defense is a team game. Therefore it wouldn't matter where JJ plays in terms of their defense, at least according to you.

In terms of offense even Jordan needed help. Ferry has been making trades like crazy over the last two years to find guys who compliment Lebron. Kobe hasn't done crap without a quality big man. Ditto Wade.

Lastly JJ isn't on the same level as Lebron, Wade or Kobe which makes team play even more important on offense.

It is hilarious that you try to say that the Hawks ball movement has been better and their scoring is more balanced since Marvin has been out and in the next breath say offense isn't a team game. Might be time to go to the store and buy a clue.

So are you trying to move out of a defensive conversation here?

Because your team offense is laughable. We rarely set screens for Joe. BTW there's a difference between Ideal and actual.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this brings us to our underlying question of the thread.....

If Marvin is our best defensive player as some have said and he's our best man on man defender....

Then why are we manhandling teams defensively?

I mean, it really doesn't matter about being at home..

It doesn't matter about the replacement.

I'm not saying that we're the same without Marvin...

We are 10 ppg better defensively from our average without Marvin.

At home, we give up 96.4 ppg.

Last 5, we've given up 95.3 ppg.

At home, teams have shot 45.3% on us.

Last 5, teams have shot 42.6% on us.

Now, even if you don't think that losing Marvin has anything to do with our winning, you definitely have to address the fact that without our "best defensive player" our defense is playing better than it has.

If I took Bill Russell away from the Celtics they would have changed defensively.

It doesn't matter being at home? Home court ADVANTAGE plays nothing into our current streak? I disagree. If there is no significant meaning to playing at home, then why do teams fight for HC in the playoffs? Teams play better, statistically, wins vs. losses at home. We're 13-17 on the road, what 26/26-5 at home?? Those numbers speak for themselves.

• Moderators

IMO, Josh Smith and Al Horford are our two most important defenders. When Josh is playing with intensity, he is clearly the top impact guy defensively. Marvin is our top perimeter defender, not our top overall defender in my book. The good news for Marvin is that he has improved defensively every year and plays sound fundamental defense which is easy to integrate into any defense.

• Premium Member
It doesn't matter being at home? Home court ADVANTAGE plays nothing into our current streak? I disagree. If there is no significant meaning to playing at home, then why do teams fight for HC in the playoffs? Teams play better, statistically, wins vs. losses at home. We're 13-17 on the road, what 26/26-5 at home?? Those numbers speak for themselves.

No what I'm saying is that we play better defensively without Marvin at home as we did with Marvin at home.

• Premium Member
Marvin is our top perimeter defender, not our top overall defender in my book.

How do you quantify this? If there is no way, how can you say this?

Marvin is not guarding Daniel Gibson or Mo Williams.

Marvin is not guarding Brandon Roy.

Marvin is not guarding Ray Allen or even J. Posey.

He doesn't guard Vince.

This is Marvin gay WIlliams.

• Moderators

If you could quantify defense there would be a statistic reflecting it. We all know this is the big dilemma in current basketball metrics - the inability to quantitatively demonstrate defensive impact.

So I am using the eye test on this one - the same one that tells me that Bruce Bowen in his prime was a better perimeter defender than Allen Iverson even though Iverson was accruing more quantifiable defensive numbers (with his steals).

Knowing your views on Marvin, I am 150% sure we won't agree on this but I am conceding my view is based on game observation as opposed to something akin to TS%, PER or some other quantifiable statistic.