• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hawks defensive improvement

exodus

This season two things have really bothered me about this team, dumb turnovers and poor defensive rebounding. when you turn it over it frequently leads to easy fast break points for the other team. when you don't take care of the defensive glass it frequently leads to easy putbacks.

Over the last 5 games the Hawks are averaging only 8.5 turnovers per game and they are taking much better care of the defensive glass. That means the other team gets far fewer easy baskets.

tonight Roy and Aldridge were able to score well but it was all on 1 on 1 moves and frequetly near the end of the clock. The other guys didnt get the easy baskets to get them going.

• Premium Member

Mo Evans and Mario West deserve some credit here. They're both agitators on defense, and that's something the Hawks don't have from the other four starters.

I'm excited by the turnaround, but am still pessimistic that it'll bleed over into the road performances.

umm... we are #6 in TO per game for the ENTIRE season. That's actually one of the strongest part of our game for the entire year. I remember used to average 17 a game.

Yeah, the Hawks don't turn it over a ton, it's just when they do it's extra bad.

umm... we are #6 in TO per game for the ENTIRE season. That's actually one of the strongest part of our game for the entire year. I remember used to average 17 a game.

That stat is misleading because it doesn't take into account the fact that the Hawks take a lot of jumpers. You are far more likely to turn it over on a drive to the basket than on a spot up 3.

Over the last 5 games they are turning it over over 4 times less per game. That is a huge difference.

then maybe a better argument is taht we are taking better shots in the game. Turning over the ball 12 times per is very very good for any team.

So taking better shots has caused the Hawks to turn it over 4+ times fewer per game?

The point of the thread is the Hawks defense and how turning it over less gives the other team fewer easy opportunities to score. Given that they have turned it over only 8.5 times a game over the last 5 games i think that is a contributing factor to their defense.

I was impressed with the number of shot clock violations, or hurried shots, they forced Portland into.

That was the most impressive thing about yesterday. The defense just didn't let up at all. Horford did a very good job on the glass as well.

JJ being agressive also helps a ton. He just kept going to the lane instead of taking bad jumpers.

That was the most impressive thing about yesterday. The defense just didn't let up at all. Horford did a very good job on the glass as well.

JJ being agressive also helps a ton. He just kept going to the lane instead of taking bad jumpers.

You know solid offense is the best defense. Less transition baskets. Less running back to cover. There were some plays yesterday that really impressed me. There was a 5 pass play that looked straight out of a college set. We missed the shot but Portland was scrambling to cover. In this set, Joe passed on a 3 and hit Bibby in the corner. The ball went Joe top left, swung right, down into the post, back out to Joe who passed on the shot and quick swung to Bibby. Rathburn said, "Out to Joe for a wide open three, kicked to Bibby for a more wide open 3."

Then the Alley Oop dunk to Josh that was followed up a few plays later by the Josh and Horford fast break with Smith gave the left hand underhand alley oop for Horford. There was so much ball sharing it was kind of hard to watch. I was waiting for Josh to go left and posterize on that play that it took a few seconds for my brain to catch up and realize what I just saw.

Oh yeah....and JJ dunked in the flow of the game too. Like a sissy 4 on the dunkometer but a dunk by Joe none the less. When the offense is kicking like that and the other team is having to play so hard on the defensive end, they just don't have the energy to do the same on offense.