• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

When Marvin Returns? What Now?

JackB1

OK, let's say we continue this remarkable play without Marvin in the lineup. What happens when he4 is ready to go? Does he go back to being a starter or does he come off the bench?

I have been having a hard time figuring out why we "appear" better without Marvin???

Personally, I think it's more the way Woody is now forced to use the bench, that has improved the team and the entire team chemistry. Starters are more rested and there is more competition among oursleves.

There is no way Mo Evans is a better player than Marvin. Marvin is longer, can rebound and can do so much more than Mo. Mo is good for the open 3. Who is a better defender? I have to say Marvin. So why the recent turnaround after Marvin went down and what happens when he returns??? Discuss.......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
OK, let's say we continue this remarkable play without Marvin in the lineup. What happens when he4 is ready to go? Does he go back to being a starter or does he come off the bench?

I have been having a hard time figuring out why we "appear" better without Marvin???

Personally, I think it's more the way Woody is now forced to use the bench, that has improved the team and the entire team chemistry. Starters are more rested and there is more competition among oursleves.

There is no way Mo Evans is a better player than Marvin. Marvin is longer, can rebound and can do so much more than Mo. Mo is good for the open 3. Who is a better defender? I have to say Marvin. So why the recent turnaround after Marvin went down and what happens when he returns??? Discuss.......

He goes back to his starting position

There's no reason to think Woody can't continue to utilize the bench the way he has the last 5 games. Throw Marvin into the mix and rotation and go from there. He's too valuable to the Hawks to not play if he's healthy. The recent turnaround after Marvin went done has to do with our bench contributing solid minutes - Rio, Flip, Zaza, Solo - JJ's unbelievable shooting, and we're playing at home. We've only lost 5 times at home all year.

I don't care what anybody says - Marvin wasn't making Joe miss those shots before Marvin hurt his back.

Joe's hitting shots and Mr Bi-Polar has decided to rebound the basketball again. Neither of them have absolutely anything to do with Marvin Williams.

In respect to your question, why not let Marvin come off the bench during the playoffs? I think it would be a great story for Marvin, overcoming injury to "heroically" help his team out in the playoffs.

It's a great story line for ESPN and Marvin's quest for a contract.

Edited by gsuteke

• Admin
I don't care what anybody says - Marvin wasn't making Joe miss those shots before Marvin hurt his back.

Joe's hitting shots and Mr Bi-Polar has decided to rebound the basketball again. Neither of them have absolutely anything to do with Marvin Williams.

Exactly, we are a better team with Marvin. He is a quality small forward that can score, rebound and play defense.

The winning is not happening because Marvin is out. It is happening just as gsuteke said. Joe is out of his slump and Smith is trying. Also, we have been on a home stand and we are playing well at home this season.

We will be that much better when we can get Marvin back in the lineup.

• Admin
I seriously think Marvin should come off the bench when he returns, him starting might ruin our hot streak imo.

So start an undersized Mo Evans instead of a much better Marvin? That makes no sense. He was not hurting out chemistry. Joe was in a slump and Smith was being an idiot. Its not like Iverson ruining the chemistry in Detroit.

So start an undersized Mo Evans instead of a much better Marvin? That makes no sense. He was not hurting out chemistry. Joe was in a slump and Smith was being an idiot. Its not like Iverson ruining the chemistry in Detroit.

Yea, if starting an undersized Mo Evans is working why change it? I'm a big Marvin fan and all but if the team is playing well with Mo as a starter why would we want to ruin that? Think about it.

Yea, if starting an undersized Mo Evans is working why change it? I'm a big Marvin fan and all but if the team is playing well with Mo as a starter why would we want to ruin that? Think about it.

His point is Marvin being out and the Hawks playing better is a coincidence. So why start the lesser skilled player? Because you're superstitious?

His point is Marvin being out and the Hawks playing better is a coincidence. So why start the lesser skilled player? Because you're superstitious?

So what happens if when Marvin comes back and he is inserted in the starting lineup and then we go on a four game losing streak? What would we do in that kind of scenario?

Marvin gets his spot back. Plain and simple. Guys don't lose position due to injury. I could see if his personal performance was down, but it wasn't. The simple fact is Joe is playing like Joe. If we had this Joe all year we'd be in contention for homecourt.

Coming from a Mavin supporter, I think Marvin should come off the bench when he returns. No of course Mo Evans isnt better than Marvin but its been working..nothing wrong with having one of your better players come off the bench..other teams do it(Ginobli, Terry, JR Smith, and Nate Robinson and Ben Gordon at one point) I wouldnt have a problem with Marvin coming off the bench and playing his usually minutes. But even if he does come back and start, I wouldnt be mad at that either as long as Woody keeps playing Acie Law and Mario a bit. Joe Johnson also seems to have more space to work on the floor with Marvin out because unlike Mavin, Evans stays out by the 3 point arc which spreads the floor out more for Joe to do his thing. When does Marvin return anyhow? before playoffs??

I attribute the turn around to JJ playing better, pure and simple. 4 straight 30 + point games ! He is playing the best ball of the season now. He had been cold for so long. We needed Marvin to pick up the scoring load when JJ was shooting 40% for a month a straight.

I also attribute the fact that they getting closer to the playoffs and the Heat are creeping up on us as motivational tools. Woody finaly went off on Smith and got his butt in gear. Horford alwayse steps up his play when it counts.

When we matchup with Lebron or Pierce in Round 2, Marvin's size on defense will be essential. You can say Mo starts at SF all you want. However, when he is in the game at 6'5'' it will be the SG on Mo and the SF on JJ most of the time unless the SG is the superior defender....(example - the Trail Blazers had Batum on JJ, and Roy on Mo through the 1st quarter on Sunday).

Marvin could be a good 6th man. The Trailblazers bring Outlaw off the bench as a 6th man even though he is superior to their starter, Batum. That choice really comes down to the coach. some coaches prefer to bring their 2nd or 3rd scorer off the bench.

I would continue to start Marvin when he is healthy. He spaces the floor just like Mo does. So the team does not have to play any different. Marvin can just slash better and give you post up mis-match every once in a while. He can also take it to the rim and getto the line when the offense stalls or when JJ is having a 12 point a night.

Oh god not another Marvin thread!! You know Who is coming!!!

Seriously JJ is starting to hit his shots again after taking most of the year off. That has nothing to do with MArvin. I mean are you guys superstitous or something.!!! This has less to do with Marvin than with JJ.

• Premium Member
So what happens if when Marvin comes back and he is inserted in the starting lineup and then we go on a four game losing streak? What would we do in that kind of scenario?

In their eyes, it would be coincidence again.

Some people don't see how much better we have been playing.