• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

When Marvin Returns? What Now?

JackB1

JT (Atlanta): John, you've seen enough Hawks games. Are they really this much better with Marvin Williams out? Does Mo Evans change the dynamic of the team that much? I just don't get it. They are playing some good ball right now.

John Hollinger: Playing at home really helps. Also, Joe Johnson finally snapped out of his two-and-a-half-month long slump that nobody outside Atlanta ever talked about, and that's allowed them to overcome a torrent of three-point, one-rebound efforts from Evans.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
JT (Atlanta): John, you've seen enough Hawks games. Are they really this much better with Marvin Williams out? Does Mo Evans change the dynamic of the team that much? I just don't get it. They are playing some good ball right now.

John Hollinger: Playing at home really helps. Also, Joe Johnson finally snapped out of his two-and-a-half-month long slump that nobody outside Atlanta ever talked about, and that's allowed them to overcome a torrent of three-point, one-rebound efforts from Evans.

Basically sums up what we've been saying the whole time.

And some people still do not understand that, YET!

• Premium Member
Basically sums up what we've been saying the whole time.

Joe Johnson just snapped out of it??

The timing of Joe Johnson's snapping out of it is impeccable.

That wasn't on the road Joe that was in a funk. That was on the road Joe and in the house Joe that was in a funk. But Joe moves to the 3 (mostly) and he "snaps out of it"?

Moreover... not just Joe but our defense gets a hellavu lot better???

In the last 5 games, Dallas was scoring 99 ppg, shooting 44.6% from the field and 43.5% from 3. Last night, they put up 87 ppg, on 40.9% shooting from the field and 19.4% from 3. That's just "Coincidence"? Maybe you'd like to use the ex excuse.. they were "ice cold". Cause and Effect!!

That wasn't on the road Joe that was in a funk. That was on the road Joe and in the house Joe that was in a funk. But Joe moves to the 3 (mostly) and he "snaps out of it"?

In the last 5 games, Dallas was scoring 99 ppg, shooting 44.6% from the field and 43.5% from 3. Last night, they put up 87 ppg, on 40.9% shooting from the field and 19.4% from 3. That's just "Coincidence"? Maybe you'd like to use the ex excuse.. they were "ice cold". Cause and Effect!!

The more I debate with Diesel about our defense being better with Marvin playing, the more I'm seeing that I'm incorrect. Although I will defend to the end that our home floor is a big factor for the improved play, the statistics don't lie. Holding Dallas to 12 points below their season average is a big difference.

Yeah, cause JJ played like crap last year and the beginning of this year WITH Marvin. Most of JJ's "Kobe'esque" games have been WITH Marv. Your stance is ludacris at best. Give it a rest man. Look, I'm not big Marvin fan myself (he's probably my least favorite Hawk and I'd lov to trade him) but your stance on this is really showing your scorn for this guy. It's kinda sad actually.

• Premium Member
Yeah, cause JJ played like crap last year and the beginning of this year WITH Marvin. Most of JJ's "Kobe'esque" games have been WITH Marv. Your stance is ludacris at best. Give it a rest man. Look, I'm not big Marvin fan myself (he's probably my least favorite Hawk and I'd lov to trade him) but your stance on this is really showing your scorn for this guy. It's kinda sad actually.

If you remember, last year going into the playoffs, Woody had all but benched Marvin in the 4th qtrs of games. He had Chillz playing a lot in the 4th and Marvin on the bench. Moreover, in our great playoffs wins... When Marvin played less than 30 minutes against Boston, We won. We he played more than 30 we lost (with the exception of the last game.).

The more I debate with Diesel about our defense being better with Marvin playing, the more I'm seeing that I'm incorrect. Although I will defend to the end that our home floor is a big factor for the improved play, the statistics don't lie. Holding Dallas to 12 points below their season average is a big difference.

Dallas was playing without 2 starters. Barrea had a bandaged shoulder while Terry had a bandaged left hand. They also attempted 31 3s, 11 more than normal, even though they were shooting them poorly.

Dallas was playing without 2 starters. Barrea had a bandaged shoulder while Terry had a bandaged left hand. They also attempted 31 3s, 11 more than normal, even though they were shooting them poorly.

Agreed,

The Hawks got increadibly lucky last night. Dallas missed more wide-open 3s than seems possible. The Mavs constantly got Dirk matched up against Mo or Murray when they brought the ball up the court. If Dirk had just driven the lane he would have scored 45.

In sum, Dallas played stupid and like crap last night. The Hawks had something to do with that, but it also looked like a lot of it interinsically dumb play from the Mavs.

• Premium Member

So, what's happened the last 2 games? Why hasn't Joe shot well?

The point is that you have an obvious agenda against Marvin. Are you saying the move from SG to SF has given Joe the ability to make wide open shots? Because that would be pretty insane. JJ couldn't hit ANYTHING for 2 months, not wide open shots, not off the dribble, nothing. It's extremely obvious if you could possibly watch the game without a bias against Marvin.

First of all they were missing Howard who is a key scorer for them. Secondly, our team defense has been schitzo all season. We went on two winning streaks WITH Marvin and our defense was great then as well.

The fact is that we are awesome at home (even with Marvin) and suck on the road. It's not exactly a coincidence that this happened.

If you remember, last year going into the playoffs, Woody had all but benched Marvin in the 4th qtrs of games. He had Chillz playing a lot in the 4th and Marvin on the bench. Moreover, in our great playoffs wins... When Marvin played less than 30 minutes against Boston, We won. We he played more than 30 we lost (with the exception of the last game.).

Marvin played over 30 minutes per game last March when JJ won NBA Player of the Month so i doubt Marvin's presence hindered his play too much.

If you remember, last year going into the playoffs, Woody had all but benched Marvin in the 4th qtrs of games.

That statement proves your logic is based on hating Marving. "Going into the playoffs, Woody had all but benched Marvin". In other words we were already going into the playoffs with Marving AND JJ playing significant minutes. You should really just stop typing on this issue. I've defended some of your views in the past but this is stretching it big time. Our winning has more to do with JJ's play, which if you look at the past 2 games, earlier this year and all of last year (all of those btw is greater than your little 5 to 7 game sample) has nothing to do with Marvin. Nothing.

I have to give some of the credit to how Smoove and Horf are playing. Rebounding has improved and they have had a few games where they were really a terror inside. We played very well inside last night after the first quarter . . . . . when their backup center killed us.

• Premium Member

It's funny looking at you guys making excuses for Dallas.

Let's look at something here concerning defense.

Dallas vs. Detroit

Missing Howard.

Dallas Scored 103 points.

Dallas shot 56.7% from the field

Dallas Shot 46% from three.

Dallas @ LAL

Missing Howard

Damp played 9 minutes 0 points.

Dallas scored 100 points.

Dallas shot 40% from the field

Dallas shot 38% from three.

Dallas at Golden State

Missing Howard.

Dallas scored 110 points.

Dallas shot 43% from the field.

Dallas shot 33% from three.

Dallas @ Portland

Missing Howard.

Dallas scored 93 points

Dallas shot 46% from the field

Dallas shot 25% from three.

Dallas @ Phoenix

Missing Howard

Dallas scored 122 points

Dallas shot 53% from the field.

Dallas shot 37% from three.

In this 5 game stretch before they played us, Dallas was 4-1. The loss was at a heartbreaking Loss to Los Angeles... a game that Dallas should have won. Also, All road games except Detroit.

They come to Atlanta and they put up 87 points shooting 40% from the field and 19% from three.

You guys can keep making excuses. It's evident. Our defense is really good.

IN OUR GREAT PLAYOFF SERIES.

So Marvin hurts JJ's game in the playoffs but not in the regular season? If that is so they what were these comments about?

• Premium Member
Dallas had alot of open 3's last night and missed them. If JT is on, the Hawks lose.

That's sad. JT went cold. Who do we credit? Luck?

Forget all of the worthwhile possibilities like: Maybe his rhythm was off because he was rushed? Maybe the pass was thrown hurriedly so he didn't catch it right?

You guys who don't want to give the Hawks any credit should say... Maybe their are aliens in the Phil and they cause all visitors shooters to go cold. 4U that would be more likely than say.. Hawks playing good defense. IN fact, that would help you to understand how all perimeter players have bad games in Atlanta!! There's your new theory hots!! Run with it.