• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Falcons officially end courtship of LJ Smith

coachx

I can't see Smith drafting a TE that cannot block. They said there was interest in the FB from GA, forget his name. Wonder if he could play TE?

You're thinking Southerland... I think he's a shade over 6 foot... A little short to be a TE... He can block though... Wouldn't mind him as an H back... I'm hoping that TD doesn't draft a TE in the 1st... But after last year, I trust what he decides to do this year...

You're thinking Southerland... I think he's a shade over 6 foot... A little short to be a TE... He can block though... Wouldn't mind him as an H back... I'm hoping that TD doesn't draft a TE in the 1st... But after last year, I trust what he decides to do this year...

I trust whatever TD does as well. Heck, I wanted Dorsey over Ryan last year (like 75% of Ga did at the time). .

Sutherland would be a great find to eventually replace the highest paid FB in football, Mueghelli (Sp ?). Solid 5th round pick. We have two 5th rounders.

Southerland has exceptional hands for a BIG FB and is a bruising blocker.

What about Asher Allens 4.33 40 yeard dash yesterday ! He is looking like a 2nd - 3rd roudner now.

I trust whatever TD does as well. Heck, I wanted Dorsey over Ryan last year (like 75% of Ga did at the time). .

Sutherland would be a great find to eventually replace the highest paid FB in football, Mueghelli (Sp ?). Solid 5th round pick. We have two 5th rounders.

Southerland has exceptional hands for a BIG FB and is a bruising blocker.

What about Asher Allens 4.33 40 yeard dash yesterday ! He is looking like a 2nd - 3rd roudner now.

BRING HIM HOME! I have always liked Asher... Great speed and vision...

BRING HIM HOME! I have always liked Asher... Great speed and vision...

Agree, Asher and Southerland would be great additions. I wouldn't count on getting Southerland though. Muggs has a big, long contract and the team really only needs 1 FB. I doubt Southerland's ability to play TE. He's really an in-line blocker and is too squat to be an effective TE.

Asher in the 2nd would be fine with me. However, if there is an OT or DT that grades similarly, then I think you have to go with one of those.

Three players cleared for Falcons practice

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

From Staff and News Services

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Trey Lewis, Robert James and Thomas Brown were medically cleared to take part in Falcons offseason workouts, coach Mike Smith said.

The news on Lewis, a defensive tackle coming off two knee surgeries, was encouraging to the Falcons, who lost Grady Jackson via free agency. Lewis was off to a promising rookie season before a knee injury in 2007. He missed all of last season after re-injuring the repaired knee.

James was a fifth-round pick last season. The linebacker missed the season with a head injury.

Brown, a sixth-round pick from Georgia last season, appeared to have made the team as a kick returner. He suffered a season-ending torn abductor muscle near his groin in the exhibition finale.

Also, tight end Jared Cook will visit the Falcons. The local player from North Gwinnett High and South Carolina will not count against the limit of pre-draft players the team can bring in. The Falcons flirted with signing free agent L.J. Smith and might be looking for a receiving tight end in next month’s draft.

The Falcons began workouts Monday.

—- D. Orlando Ledbetter