• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So, it looks like Childress isn't coming back...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress can opt out of his contract in Greece and return to the NBA next season. He turned down the Hawks' offer of $33 million last summer but the Hawks don't plan to offer anywhere near that much again.

Ooops....

BTW, the Hawks might dangle the QO out to Childress - it would be a one-year, $4.8M deal.

Edited by mrhonline

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by the following statement: Unless Childress, at any point in time, ever gets sick of the overseas [Greece] culture, way of life, basketball scene, and that crapton of $$$$ he is earning there compared to what he would get here, he will NEVER be a Hawk again.

Edited by TheTruth

• Premium Member
Blasphemy! :nono:

Agreed. If he accepts whatever offer he gets from the Hawks, I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat. He was a great guy and player when he was here and would add depth to this team. Besides, his fro was soooooooo ATL.

• Premium Member

I would rather have Flipper anyway. Besides Marvin's contract should be priority #1

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
I would rather have Flipper anyway. Besides Marvin's contract should be priority #1

Actually, Marvin's back diagnosis is priority #1.

You may not like what I have to say here, but if Marvin's back is worthy of surgery consideration then it's not just a bruise or a sprain we're talking about.

secondly, if Marvin's back is worhty of surgery consideration then there's a chance that he might not ever be the same player.

That being the case, I'm not up for giving Marvin a speedy claxton contract to see how well he can match his ties to his suits.

I would rather sign Flip, Sign Childress to a short contract 3 year 17 million. and move from there.

We have a lot of talk about Marvin coming back, but right not the status is out indefinitely. Do you know how bad a player has to be to get the out indefinitely label?

Put your loyalties to the side for a moment.

If Marvin was playing for the Clipps right now, out indefinitely.. didn't play another game in the season, would you be saying " you know Sund ought to go after Marvin Williams."

call it hate... I call it business.

I didn't see any of you clamoring for Jay Williams, Demarr Johnson, or Sean Livingston after their injuries.

• Moderators
I didn't see any of you clamoring for Jay Williams, Demarr Johnson, or Sean Livingston after their injuries.

Because Marvin's injury is just like those? I didn't see a lot of people throwing in the towel on Jordan or Wade after his shoulder injury or Big Z, etc. Let's wait for the actual medical information before comparing Marvin being out a few weeks to people with career ending injuries!

I dont see Josh bringing anything to the table that we dont already have. Plus we are getting more for cheap. He followed the money the team has improved without him. This is a classic sign and trade chance right here Diesel.

We got lucky that Chillz didn't take that deal.

He is a superb utility player, but someone whose productions can be replaced almost completely by close to minimum wage players should not get that kind of offer from any wise NBA GM.

We'd be lucky if we can trade his rights for a pick. Another wasted BK out of the box pick.

• Premium Member
Because Marvin's injury is just like those? I didn't see a lot of people throwing in the towel on Jordan or Wade after his shoulder injury or Big Z, etc. Let's wait for the actual medical information before comparing Marvin being out a few weeks to people with career ending injuries!

Some people did give up on Jordan... and Jordan was a ROY who averaged about 30 something at the time.

But let's be real, Marvin is neither Jordan nor Wade.

People also gave up on Big Z. A big with feet problems. IF Big Z was a free agent this summer, he wouldn't get much love from anybody but Cleveland.

The point is... how many times have you seen back surgery being considered? Larry Bird?

Recently Deshawn Stevenson.

Nobody will be knocking down a door for Stevenson.

We got lucky that Chillz didn't take that deal.

He is a superb utility player, but someone whose productions can be replaced almost completely by close to minimum wage players should not get that kind of offer from any wise NBA GM.

We'd be lucky if we can trade his rights for a pick. Another wasted BK out of the box pick.

I think we'd be better with Josh and Flip and Mo.

Some people did give up on Jordan... and Jordan was a ROY who averaged about 30 something at the time.

But let's be real, Marvin is neither Jordan nor Wade.

People also gave up on Big Z. A big with feet problems. IF Big Z was a free agent this summer, he wouldn't get much love from anybody but Cleveland.

The point is... how many times have you seen back surgery being considered? Larry Bird?

Recently Deshawn Stevenson.

Nobody will be knocking down a door for Stevenson.

I think we'd be better with Josh and Flip and Mo.

It is a wait and see scenario.

Worst case for Marvin is if he is on the shelf for the remainder. For the Hawks it may result into a "one-year" tender.

People forget how valuable Chillz is. He doesn't have his contract because he is an "afterthought".

Actually, Marvin's back diagnosis is priority #1.

You may not like what I have to say here, but if Marvin's back is worthy of surgery consideration then it's not just a bruise or a sprain we're talking about.

secondly, if Marvin's back is worhty of surgery consideration then there's a chance that he might not ever be the same player.

That being the case, I'm not up for giving Marvin a speedy claxton contract to see how well he can match his ties to his suits.

I would rather sign Flip, Sign Childress to a short contract 3 year 17 million. and move from there.

We have a lot of talk about Marvin coming back, but right not the status is out indefinitely. Do you know how bad a player has to be to get the out indefinitely label?

Put your loyalties to the side for a moment.

If Marvin was playing for the Clipps right now, out indefinitely.. didn't play another game in the season, would you be saying " you know Sund ought to go after Marvin Williams."

call it hate... I call it business.

are we talking about the same marvin williams? i didnt know he was in a vehicle accident or turned his back inside out...you see diesel, i could have went along with your sentiment if you had compared his injury to someone of say Tracy McGrady or Jermaine Oneal...but you pick the three horrific injuries to compare him too makes you looked biased and not objectional.

Regardless of the circumstance, I wouldn't offer Chil the amount of money he wants. Especially with every team in the league trying to cut salary.

As far as trading him, don't forget its a SnT. That means that SOMEONE has to want to give Childress enough to entice him to come back. Whether he wants to come back or not, he's not going to take a huge (millions of $$$s a year) paycut just to play in the NBA, he'd be stupid to do that right now.

Do we know what the prognosis is on Marvin? Will he be able to return for the playoffs?

Regardless of the circumstance, I wouldn't offer Chil the amount of money he wants. Especially with every team in the league trying to cut salary.

As far as trading him, don't forget its a SnT. That means that SOMEONE has to want to give Childress enough to entice him to come back. Whether he wants to come back or not, he's not going to take a huge (millions of $$$s a year) paycut just to play in the NBA, he'd be stupid to do that right now.

Yes Chillz will take the Euro for 2 more years. He'll be a cap hold on us.

I don't think the owners mind. Chillz money + Claxton money paid by the insurance, means the total payroll expense stays far lower than the actual salary cap.,