• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So, it looks like Childress isn't coming back...

mrhonline

Sometimes, the money loses it's luster.

Nique won a Eurochampionship and made a boatload of cash. I think he would have given all that up if he could have had one more year of playing free for the Hawks after Danny Manning.

You can't get around your circle of friends and say... Hey, I won a Eurochampionship? Every player wants to be at the big table playing for the big trophy... Every player wants to kiss the NBA championship that Jordan and Shaq and Kobe and Duncan held.

Also, CHillz sounded fearful on the phone. Sorta homesick.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from. Plenty of bankers leave the finance to go run charities, plenty of corporate attorneys go to the ACLU... Most don't though.

Maybe Nique would have given anything to come back, maybe he wouldn't. I'm sure he would have given it all up to win a title, but that was far from a guarantee. Nique was also a completely different player than Chil and his legacy and impact could have been completely different with a title.

I'm sure, to an extent at least, Josh does want to come back and play in the NBA and see his family. I'm also sure he would be willing to lose money to do it... the question is how much is that worth to him? Maybe its noble of him to turn his back on $2m over the next two years... but it could also be $8m, is that worth it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I've had back spasms caused by impact (car accident, mtn and road cycle accidents). They can be extremely debilitating, but when they resolve, they resolve. You have to strengthen the area and keep up with exercise, but there is no reason to expect that Marvin has any thing more than a persistant spasm. I too was offered the surgery, but I declined and my back is fine enough now.

How long did it take to fully resolve (without sugery?)

I just remember Larry Johnson, Tmac, and Bird all laid out on the floor trying to stretch the back out. That's a constant picture (especially of Larry bird in the last days). The other thing is that Larry Johnson could never dunk again after that. Tmac? I don't know.... but he wasn't the same player after his back problems.

• Premium Member
I know a guy who died from back pain. I think Marvin has died and they are just hiding it. Now I know why he is not wearing his suit and tie on the bench. He is wearing suit and tie in a coffin.

Yeah.. that's it jerrywest. I heard that there was going to be a one on one tournament featuring Marvin, Eddie Griffin, Bison Dele, Len Bias, and Reggie Lewis. I got my money on Reggie Lewis.

Now that we have totally been distasteful, let's try to be a little more serious.

Yeah.. that's it jerrywest. I heard that there was going to be a one on one tournament featuring Marvin, Eddie Griffin, Bison Dele, Len Bias, and Reggie Lewis. I got my money on Reggie Lewis.

Now that we have totally been distasteful, let's try to be a little more serious.

If you can speculate paralysis, I can take it a step further to show the absurdity of your thinking.

How long did it take to fully resolve (without sugery?)

I just remember Larry Johnson, Tmac, and Bird all laid out on the floor trying to stretch the back out. That's a constant picture (especially of Larry bird in the last days). The other thing is that Larry Johnson could never dunk again after that. Tmac? I don't know.... but he wasn't the same player after his back problems.

It took about 6 weeks after the car wreck for me to stop going to traction 3 X week. It took a few more weeks for me to get about 80% mobility. However, Marvin is much better shape than I was at the time of the car accident. The subsequent events triggered the same area. When those happen I am done for about a week as I am in much better shape and I know what to do immediately to get the spasm under control.

In regards to Bird and LJ. I think both of those injuries did involved significant disk damage. It really depends on what Marvin's diagnosis is, and I haven't heard anything beyond back spasms. Could it turn out to be worse? Sure. Could it turn out to be less? Absolutely. For another example, I would turn your attention to Sam Baker, the Falcons' rookie LT. He had back surgery last season and came back to play in about 6 weeks. He played very well for a rookie LT. So, it is very possible to have a procedure and come back to play at a high level.

• Premium Member
It took about 6 weeks after the car wreck for me to stop going to traction 3 X week. It took a few more weeks for me to get about 80% mobility. However, Marvin is much better shape than I was at the time of the car accident. The subsequent events triggered the same area. When those happen I am done for about a week as I am in much better shape and I know what to do immediately to get the spasm under control.

In regards to Bird and LJ. I think both of those injuries did involved significant disk damage. It really depends on what Marvin's diagnosis is, and I haven't heard anything beyond back spasms. Could it turn out to be worse? Sure. Could it turn out to be less? Absolutely. For another example, I would turn your attention to Sam Baker, the Falcons' rookie LT. He had back surgery last season and came back to play in about 6 weeks. He played very well for a rookie LT. So, it is very possible to have a procedure and come back to play at a high level.

Didn't Baker have a Bad Back coming out of USC?

I only mention this because I remember a red flag being on him... and if it was his back, then it speaks to the possible chronicle nature.

However, you're right. It could be less or more but.. the reaction to it doesn't seem like less.

I only mention this because I remember a red flag being on him... and if it was his back, then it speaks to the possible chronicle nature.

However, you're right. It could be less or more but.. the reaction to it doesn't seem like less.

Bill Walton had feet problems and couldn't play a full season. Bird had foot problems, played through them, but ended his career a little early. Ilgauskus had foot problems, recovered, and played 78 or more games for 5 consecutive seasons.

You can't assume that just because a guy has a type of injury, it will do the same thing to him that it did to another guy unless it is the type of injury that ALWAYS does that. We don't know Marv's prognosis, but we do know that a "back injury" doesn't mean a guy's career is done.

I think it was a torn pec or calf muscle. The back was new.

Here is what I have seen:

Definitely a watch and see as far as whether this affects him significantly going forward and as far as his availability for the playoffs.

As long as you can walk, a Dr. will recommend the above vs back surgery 100% of the time. He could have a herniated or hemorreged disk or worse, possibly needing a fusion, and the Dr. would still tell him to take the rehabilitation route as long for as he can. I am extremely nervous that the Hawks aren't publicly saying "what" exactly is wrong with it. That is not good, not good at all.