• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Future classics?

Plainview1981

What from this decade are/will be cult classics in the future?

American Psycho-Love it

Unbreakable?-Liked it

Doomsday-Even though you can easily tear it apart, I love it.

The Mist-Love it (This will sort of be viewed like The Thing in the future)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)-Pretty good

In Bruges (Judging from what I hear already)

The Weather Man?-Gets better on repearted views

28 Days Later (Even though I don't personally love the movie)

Apocalypto-Pretty good. I don't care how accurate it is or isn't/

Black Snake Moan-Pretty good

Shaun of the Dead-I'm warming up to it.

• Moderators

When I think cult classic, I think of movies that are not blockbusters or oscar nominees or anything like that but are sneaky good and particularly rewatchable. So for me, movies like Transformers or Gladiator or the Bourne series, etc. can't be "cult classics" for me. Lots of good movies on the list so far, though, so that is more about semantics.

One turn of the century movie that was a bit under the radar but is very rewatchable, IMO, is Galaxy Quest.

one of the funniest movies i have ever seen

Donnie Darko

The Big Lebowski (1998, but Classic!!)

Juno

Napoleon Dynamite

Grandma's Boy

Fight Club

Pineapple Express

Sin City

Lucky Number Slevin

One turn of the century movie that was a bit under the radar but is very rewatchable, IMO, is Galaxy Quest.

2nd!

If you really want to see what will be a cult classic, look at what teenage girls are viewing.

This brings us to:

Twighlight (my teen daughter LOVES this movie and book series, and all the teens in her class are into it as well)

When I think cult classic, I think of movies that are not blockbusters or oscar nominees or anything like that but are sneaky good and particularly rewatchable. So for me, movies like Transformers or Gladiator or the Bourne series, etc. can't be "cult classics" for me. Lots of good movies on the list so far, though, so that is more about semantics.

I agree with that in large part.

2nd!

If you really want to see what will be a cult classic, look at what teenage girls are viewing.

This brings us to:

Twighlight (my teen daughter LOVES this movie and book series, and all the teens in her class are into it as well)

When they older they'll probably hate it.

• Moderators

My wife and sister-in-law both loved the Twilight book and went and saw it together. It is hard to overstate how crappy they thought that movie was. I can't see that holding up well.

Donnie Darko

The Big Lebowski (1998, but Classic!!)

Juno

Napoleon Dynamite

Grandma's Boy

Fight Club

Pineapple Express

Sin City

Lucky Number Slevin

i'd have to ditto this list. they seem like the best "true" cult-classic status ability. movies released big enough to have plenty of people to see it and remember it, but small enough that it didn't get major box office smash/oscar recognition, plus just a little off center from the general public's standards.

i would especially think lebowski, napoleon dynamite, and fight club are prime cult classic nominations. hell, they already have a major "big lebowski fest" annually (that originated here in louisville ky i might add).

Edited by bird_dirt

i'd have to ditto this list. they seem like the best "true" cult-classic status ability. movies released big enough to have plenty of people to see it and remember it, but small enough that it didn't get major box office smash/oscar recognition, plus just a little off center from the general public's standards.

i would especially think lebowski, napoleon dynamite, and fight club are prime cult classic nominations. hell, they already have a major "big lebowski fest" annually (that originated here in louisville ky i might add).

Heck, you could probably include Pulp Fiction. Nobody that I know actually likes that movie.

Heck, you could probably include Pulp Fiction. Nobody that I know actually likes that movie.

If we went twenty years back, Pulp Fiction would be on the list. All of Tarantino's movies have a weird cult following. Reservoir Dogs, Four Rooms, jackie Brown.. All great movies.

• Moderators

Pulp Fiction is fantastic. Even my grandparents liked that movie.

It was also nominated for 7 oscars, won an oscar, was a huge hit, and spawned countless homages and parodies. No way is it "cult" in any sense of the word, IMO.

RDs is a much better argument, IMO.

Pulp Fiction is fantastic. Even my grandparents liked that movie.

It was also nominated for 7 oscars, won an oscar, was a huge hit, and spawned countless homages and parodies. No way is it "cult" in any sense of the word, IMO.

RDs is a much better argument, IMO.

I disagree. There is a certain "cult" following surrounding Tarantino movies. He casts the same actors throughout all of his movies, which are a testament to his willingness to please "his" fans.

Uma Thurman: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1 & 2. Michael Madsen: Resevoir Dogs, Kill Bill 2 Samuel L Jackson: Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 2 Bruce Willis: Pulp Fiction, Sin City Harvey Keitel: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs Tim Roth: Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms

The mass public knows what to expect from his movies as well. Different plots intertwined, gore, unintentional comedy, 60's music, and surprise.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill's, Jackie Brown...all could be considered "cult". There's definitely a following for Quentin Tarantino out there.

The one exception was Hostile. It killed at the box office the first week, but after that, it tanked. His worst movie to date. He went away from what people expected...we didn't see the familiar faces we're used to, and he tried to create a typical horror movie when he should have stuck with the premises of all his previous movies.

• Moderators
I disagree. There is a certain "cult" following surrounding Tarantino movies. He casts the same actors throughout all of his movies, which are a testament to his willingness to please "his" fans.

Uma Thurman: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1 & 2. Michael Madsen: Resevoir Dogs, Kill Bill 2 Samuel L Jackson: Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 2 Bruce Willis: Pulp Fiction, Sin City Harvey Keitel: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs Tim Roth: Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms

The mass public knows what to expect from his movies as well. Different plots intertwined, gore, unintentional comedy, 60's music, and surprise.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill's, Jackie Brown...all could be considered "cult". There's definitely a following for Quentin Tarantino out there.

The one exception was Hostile. It killed at the box office the first week, but after that, it tanked. His worst movie to date. He went away from what people expected...we didn't see the familiar faces we're used to, and he tried to create a typical horror movie when he should have stuck with the premises of all his previous movies.

I don't disagree at all that Tarantino has a passionate following or that he recycles many of the same actors. That doesn't make them cult classics to me. People like Judd Apatow and M. Night Shyamilan are not directors of cult classics simply because they repeat cast members and have definite characteristics to their films that the public expects and enjoys.

Nor do I think that a following is enough to be a cult classic. By that measure Star Wars is probably the greatest cult classic of all time give the following for those movies, the expectations, etc.

Pulp Fiction is too big a movie to be a cult classic for me. Regardless of how many people follow a movie, a star or a director, I still think there needs to be the idea of limited audience before something is a cult classic.

Otherwise, Titanic can be considered a cult classic if enough people continue to follow that movie.

To me, the quintessential cult classic is a movie like the Rocky Horror Picture Show which had limited box office success during its first year of release and stands on its own feet as a cult classic because of the continued interest and momentum it has gained over the years that is so atypical for a movie with its early box office numbers. (Obviously, the cumulative numbers look pretty good for this now after more than 30 years of continuous run at the box office).

Edited by AHF