• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

No letup in team’s intensity after 40

DrReality

Not much to this article but I put in bold what I thought was significant.

A smile on Smoove's face . . . . . that's something different.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hawks coach Mike Woodson hasn’t seen his team more focused this season. That’s why he’s not worried about them letting up.

The Hawks wrap up a seven-game homestand against Dallas tonight. Win and they’ll finish 7-0, matching their season high for consecutive wins at home. They also won seven straight during an eight-game December homestand.

“There’s no statement to be made or anything like that because it’s a good team like Dallas,” Woodson said.

“The bottom line is this: our team is playing for something. And this is the time of year when you have to step up and play. And to their credit, our guys are doing that and have been all season long.”

With 14 games remaining, eight at home and six on the road, the Hawks are 40-28 and in the midst of their best regular season in more than a decade.

They set a goal earlier this season to win 50 games and secure one of the top four spots in the Eastern Conference standings, guaranteeing home court in the first round of the playoffs. Everything is still in play.

“That’s without a doubt the reason you see us out there playing with smiles on our faces and playing so hard,” forward Josh Smith said. “My first three years [in the league] we didn’t have anything but pride to play for.

Not much to this article but I put in bold what I thought was significant.

A smile on Smoove's face . . . . . that's something different.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hawks coach Mike Woodson hasn’t seen his team more focused this season. That’s why he’s not worried about them letting up.

The Hawks wrap up a seven-game homestand against Dallas tonight. Win and they’ll finish 7-0, matching their season high for consecutive wins at home. They also won seven straight during an eight-game December homestand.

“There’s no statement to be made or anything like that because it’s a good team like Dallas,” Woodson said.

“The bottom line is this: our team is playing for something. And this is the time of year when you have to step up and play. And to their credit, our guys are doing that and have been all season long.”

With 14 games remaining, eight at home and six on the road, the Hawks are 40-28 and in the midst of their best regular season in more than a decade.

They set a goal earlier this season to win 50 games and secure one of the top four spots in the Eastern Conference standings, guaranteeing home court in the first round of the playoffs. Everything is still in play.

“That’s without a doubt the reason you see us out there playing with smiles on our faces and playing so hard,” forward Josh Smith said. “My first three years [in the league] we didn’t have anything but pride to play for.

I'm sure securing homecourt is motivation enough. I bet the players could care less about 50 wins. The Hawks aren't going to catch Orlando, obviously...so the 4th seed is the best they can do. Wins, as far as record wise, don't mean as much as getting that homecourt!!! They know they're 99.9 % in the playoffs now at this point in the season, that's never happened under Woodson. It makes all the rebuilding and losing the last 5 years more believable. In other words, in the player's eyes, all the crap they went through was working up to this season. All the hard work is finally paying off. I would be smiling too!

I'm sure securing homecourt is motivation enough. I bet the players could care less about 50 wins. The Hawks aren't going to catch Orlando, obviously...so the 4th seed is the best they can do. Wins, as far as record wise, don't mean as much as getting that homecourt!!! They know they're 99.9 % in the playoffs now at this point in the season, that's never happened under Woodson. It makes all the rebuilding and losing the last 5 years more believable. In other words, in the player's eyes, all the crap they went through was working up to this season. All the hard work is finally paying off. I would be smiling too!

I think tey wiil fight to get fifty. Bibs spoke of it in training camp. He looked for 16 wins on the road and 34 at home. At present rate we can have 17 on the road and 33 at home. But I think 18 and 32 are more likely.

Edited by Swatguy

It is seemingly coming to gether for us at the right time. Hope we hold it together.

I would not want to be pulling against the Hawks in the second round (that is once we get past the 1st at home). There could be some upsets - and even if not - we have the guys to blast into the EC Finals IMHO.