• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I have a question for Nique

Admin

I swear he kept calling Dirk that last night and it was driving me crazy, I can't imagine how pissed off the Dallas fans watching the Hawks broadcast must have been especially considering that their coach got ejected and that they lost. Probably made them feel like how I feel when we're playing someone and the opposing announcers keep calling Joe Johnson "Joe Smith".

I swear he kept calling Dirk that last night and it was driving me crazy, I can't imagine how pissed off the Dallas fans watching the Hawks broadcast must have been especially considering that their coach got ejected and that they lost. Probably made them feel like how I feel when we're playing someone and the opposing announcers keep calling Joe Johnson "Joe Smith".

"Heat Check by Nowinsky...."

• Premium Member

OMG...! lol Someone else caught that besides me? I was like...what the hell Nique? I know Bob is sitting there smiling through gnashed teeth.

One thing that's starting to bother me about Nique - "That's good. Well...it looked good when he shot it..."

"That might be the easiest 2 that he has gotten all night"

he wasn't saying dirk either... he just happily replaced it with a common name- i wish i could remember what it was... that had me rollin'...

nique always trips me out..... i love his plies impression with the "nim-bers'' instead of numbers, and how he says flips name .... flip muury... LOL

gotta love nique... i actually miss having smitty doing the games though... he brought alot of energy to it- and pointed out alot of valid changes / plays coaches should go with- and usually called the changes ahead of time.

nique also has a bad tendancy to repeat what bob just said right back to him... (no diss)

• Premium Member
LOL! Smitty does the same thing as a broadcaster. For some reason neither can enunciate the letter "V". Now why he added an "N" in there I have no idea.

My favorite is when Smitty or Stinger says Peja "Stor-arka-vitch"

lol, I just can't get enough of it!

:lol6:

Funny stuff. But, I'd love hear any of us do a live broadcast for 2 hours or more and not have some slip ups as well.

It's not a slip up for him to repeatedly mis-pronounce someone's name. I love Nique for all that he was as a Hawk but I really don't enjoy listening to him during the games. I definitely miss Smitty.

Back in the early 90s I was working with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta. I asked Mike Fratello if he would be the main speaker at a big fundraising dinner we were having. He had just left as the Hawks head coach.

He was a little reluctant and said he didn't really do that stuff. I told him I'd help him and he finally agreed. We put together a presentation for him to give and gave him a few tips on public speaking. He said he was thinking of applying for a broadcaster job (with NBC, I think) for their basketball games. I promised to videotape his speech and to give him a copy of it word-for-word. I did and then delivered it to his house after the dinner. He was very gracious, invited me to stay for dinner with his family, etc. Great guy.

Anyway, he used the videotape as his audtion tape for NBC and got the job! The rest is broadcasting history.

Some of these guys start out pretty bad and improve - because they attack it like they did coaching or playing. Others treat it casually as if it was a pick-up game in the neighborhood.

Fratello was the former. Nique is the latter.

he wasn't saying dirk either... he just happily replaced it with a common name- i wish i could remember what it was... that had me rollin'...

nique always trips me out..... i love his plies impression with the "nim-bers'' instead of numbers, and how he says flips name .... flip muury... LOL

gotta love nique... i actually miss having smitty doing the games though... he brought alot of energy to it- and pointed out alot of valid changes / plays coaches should go with- and usually called the changes ahead of time.

nique also has a bad tendancy to repeat what bob just said right back to him... (no diss)

Yea I noticed that too. Nique is a character I remember he was on TNT after learning he was going to be in the hall of fame. They were like "what was your reaction when you found out the great news" His reply "Well I got drunk that night". I was like WTF?

Back in the early 90s I was working with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta. I asked Mike Fratello if he would be the main speaker at a big fundraising dinner we were having. He had just left as the Hawks head coach.

He was a little reluctant and said he didn't really do that stuff. I told him I'd help him and he finally agreed. We put together a presentation for him to give and gave him a few tips on public speaking. He said he was thinking of applying for a broadcaster job (with NBC, I think) for their basketball games. I promised to videotape his speech and to give him a copy of it word-for-word. I did and then delivered it to his house after the dinner. He was very gracious, invited me to stay for dinner with his family, etc. Great guy.

Anyway, he used the videotape as his audtion tape for NBC and got the job! The rest is broadcasting history.

Some of these guys start out pretty bad and improve - because they attack it like they did coaching or playing. Others treat it casually as if it was a pick-up game in the neighborhood.

Fratello was the former. Nique is the latter.

Nice story.

• Moderators

He was calling him Derek. His last name is arguably hard to pronounce but Dirk? My feeling on Nique is he either needs to get better or get much worse. He's working on being worse which is ok. I think the more crazy stuff he says the more he has a chance at a Harry Cary type rep. The biggest obstacle he has is trying to be a little more humble about his own career. He seems to wish he held every Hawks record there is. But hey he's getting better..er i mean worse which is good.