• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rick Sund on 680 the Fan/Rude Awakening

khaos7

In terms of getting a superstar.. What does he mean? What superstars are going to be available:

Nash?

Kidd?

Artest?

Iverson?

Sheed?

Actually, I don't think too hard about any of those guys. Maybe he's talking trading for a Superstar. As I think of that, My mind rolls automatically to Shaq!! Phoenix will not pay 20 Million for Shaq and not be in the playoffs. However, Shaq in Atlanta would be a great fit. Even if he only plays 20 mpg and gives us 67 games but plays in the playoffs. Having an established Big to play besides Horf and provide a true middle will make this team hard to beat. Especially if we can resign Zaza.

There's also Bosh and Okafor.

lmao, this new 'interest' of yours is definitely worth looking into. however... who would we deal for shaq? aren't you the one who preaches youth for example not signing nash because he's old?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bosh's primadonna and ego has turn people against him despite his talents. I am starting to see more Raps fans turning against him.

They are turning against him now just to beat the rush because they know he will leave just like so many other high profile players have left.

Bosh is arguably better than anyone on our roster.

Thanks for the post khaos, its good to see Sund getting more involved with the media.

10) He didn't know if our magic number is 1 or 2 games. He says you have to take into consideration tie breakers, etc. He said it wasn't an exact science.

Actually it is an exact science for figuring out the magic number. I think what he may be referring to is that we do not have complete information on all the tie-breaker scenarios (there is just one for clinching the playoffs but multiple for clinching home-court).

• Premium Member
Ya..........I don't see these trade proposals of Mo, Law, with a resigned Chillz or a resigned Marvin getting a big good enough to start over Smith or Horford. Even if we did, Smith has not shown the skills necessary to play SF full time.

Shaq may be had but with Shaq we would have to change everything.

1. Shaq would be in the paint clogging the lane 32 mpg. Smith is best in the paint. Both Smith and Horford are best in the paint too.

Actually, we need a consistent scorer (like Shaq) in the paint. He would amplify the outside game we have with Bibby, Joe, and sometimes Flip.

2. Smoove would be useless on offense as a SF next to Shaq. You need a perimeter oriented shooter playing SF next to Shaq for it to work. Remember N. Anderson and D. Scott in Orlando, or Fox in L.A., and E. Jones, Posey, and Kapono in Miami ? Hmmmmmm. Marvin would work here though.

Smoove would learn how to be a slasher.

3. Horford and Smith's offensive games would both suffer with Shaq clogging the lane. Smith's man could clog the lane and double Shaq with little fear of Smith's shooting hurting them. Atlanta would go from a fast and quick team to a slow team. Smith would have no speed or quickness advantage over SFs like he does PFs. Horford would not be a able to run the floor and get as many easy buckets vs. PFs like he does to Cs.

Shaq is not the shaq of 4 years ago. I think working beside a guy like Horf would help both Horf and Shaq. Moreover, we would have 2 looks. With Shaq and without Shaq. Remember, this is a 1 year deal.

Shaq may work here as a 1 year experiment but not with a PF who can't shoot forced to play SF. Marvin shooting ability fits better with Shaq then Smith. I would trade a 24 year old Smoove for any one over 35. I don't care who it is.

I think a Shaq to Atlanta trade would be similar to one of the failed AI trades and the previous failed Shaq trade to Phoniex.

I would rather go a different route then Shaq. He would be nothing but a PR move.

I think you fail to see the effect having shaq would have on our shooters (Joe, Bibs, Flip). Also, when we put Acie in the mix, he becomes a better PG because he has a consistent Big to feed.

Right now, our team's weakness is in the halfcourt offense where we don't have a big to feed in the post. Part of what makes our team work better is when Smoove or Horf decides to abandon the High Post or the 3 pt line and work inside. Shaq is an inside player. The fear of Shaq going for 25 will keep teams honest inside which will open up the door for our shooters to kill at will from outside.

• Premium Member
Actually, we need a consistent scorer (like Shaq) in the paint. He would amplify the outside game we have with Bibby, Joe, and sometimes Flip.

Smoove would learn how to be a slasher.

Shaq is not the shaq of 4 years ago. I think working beside a guy like Horf would help both Horf and Shaq. Moreover, we would have 2 looks. With Shaq and without Shaq. Remember, this is a 1 year deal.

I think you fail to see the effect having shaq would have on our shooters (Joe, Bibs, Flip). Also, when we put Acie in the mix, he becomes a better PG because he has a consistent Big to feed.

Right now, our team's weakness is in the halfcourt offense where we don't have a big to feed in the post. Part of what makes our team work better is when Smoove or Horf decides to abandon the High Post or the 3 pt line and work inside. Shaq is an inside player. The fear of Shaq going for 25 will keep teams honest inside which will open up the door for our shooters to kill at will from outside.

I hope you are joking!

Diesel is the 2009 version of Stan Kasten. Killing a franchise with a couple of moves. We dont want no Danny Manning type players here.

Lets build on what we have and stop looking for a quick fix. We dont need Shaq. Really he is a joke for 20 million dollars. Nobody fears shaq like they did when he played with the Magic and Lakers. Look at Phoenix they are not doing that great.

Smoove will be a slasher?? Are you serious? You are reaching right now to make that Shaq in Atlanta look good. Its not working.

With Shaq and without Shaq. Remember, this is a 1 year deal.

Are you deprived of vital oxygen where you live? You want to give up youth, our future, for a "1 year deal" with Shaq? Also, you included Acie in the trade for shaq a mere page or two ago but now he's "in the mix"? Focus Diesel-san.

Judging by the underwhelming support I'd suggest you back out as quickly as you can and say you were joking.

• Premium Member
Are you deprived of vital oxygen where you live? You want to give up youth, our future, for a "1 year deal" with Shaq? Also, you included Acie in the trade for shaq a mere page or two ago but now he's "in the mix"? Focus Diesel-san.

Judging by the underwhelming support I'd suggest you back out as quickly as you can and say you were joking.

You guys are funny to me. You know we need a consistent low post offensive player. Everybody does. Instead of going after a guy in the last year of his contract to see if we can make a run for a championship. Instead of making a move that would put fans in seats (you don't know how bad it looks to see the grey chairs). Instead of making a move that would give this team national recognition. Instead of giving this team a guy who would give us REF CRED. You guys talk as if getting the most dominant low post player of the last 20 years is a joke... Is something we can do without?

Please tell me you are not this dumb???

If you don't see the benefit that having Shaq would have on:

Our sad low post.

Marketing.

National recognition.

Fan attendance.

Free agency...

then you are really not bright enough to comment on the conversation.

• Premium Member

Our sad low post.

Marketing.

National recognition.

Fan attendance.

Free agency...

What free agency? Adding Shaq would max out the Hawks' budget.

Adding more than one of Bibby, Flip, and Zaza would send the Hawks into the luxury tax.

• Premium Member
What free agency? Adding Shaq would max out the Hawks' budget.

Adding more than one of Bibby, Flip, and Zaza would send the Hawks into the luxury tax.

Uhm... when Shaq comes off the books in 2010.. we will have 20 million dollars to consider if we have remained cap conscious. I understand JJ gets a new deal. However, he's not going to suck up the shaq snack. FAs will look and see us as a team that wants to win. That has been the problem this whole time. We have the look of a team that is preparing players for a team that wants to win. That's why we turn down players like Gasol when we can get them for cheap. We don't want to win.

• Premium Member

Hawksquawk support?

Why should I trust the majority who have been wrong on so many occassions Dsinner?

I can easily show you my pushing for Deron and Paul... and being in the minority...

But what about this one...

Horford (SNT), Marvin, Speedy, and Aj for Garnett.

I'm tired of all of these tired deals for Garnett.

We can use Garnett.

The Big ticket in Atlanta + JJ = ECF.

Check the thread... I was in the minority then too.

What about here...

Nobody wanted Pau either.

• Premium Member
Uhm... when Shaq comes off the books in 2010.. we will have 20 million dollars to consider if we have remained cap conscious. I understand JJ gets a new deal. However, he's not going to suck up the shaq snack. FAs will look and see us as a team that wants to win. That has been the problem this whole time. We have the look of a team that is preparing players for a team that wants to win. That's why we turn down players like Gasol when we can get them for cheap. We don't want to win.

Ignoring the red herring that is your "Gasol" trade, you still haven't explained how you will pay for Shaq next season while still staying under the luxury tax. What are you proposing as the trade, and how are you going to afford to bring in any decent FA's (or re-sign the current ones) with Shaq making $20M next year?

(I don't care about Shaq two years from now. He's not a safe bet from month to month, much less two years from now).

• Premium Member
Hawksquawk support?

Why should I trust the majority who have been wrong on so many occassions Dsinner?

I can easily show you my pushing for Deron and Paul... and being in the minority...

But what about this one...

Check the thread... I was in the minority then too.

What about here...

Nobody wanted Pau either.

First of all, there were plenty of people here who wanted Paul over Deron. They've got you (and me) on that one.

Second, your Garnett trade would've been turned down by Minnesota. The Jefferson deal they got was a good one considering the circumstances. (Not to mention the fact that Garnett wasn't interested in Atlanta).

Third, there were several people interested in Pau. Surely you haven't forgotten the whole "Sothron" mess. :)

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member
You guys are funny to me. You know we need a consistent low post offensive player. Everybody does. Instead of going after a guy in the last year of his contract to see if we can make a run for a championship. Instead of making a move that would put fans in seats (you don't know how bad it looks to see the grey chairs). Instead of making a move that would give this team national recognition. Instead of giving this team a guy who would give us REF CRED. You guys talk as if getting the most dominant low post player of the last 20 years is a joke... Is something we can do without?

Our sad low post.

Marketing.

National recognition.

Fan attendance.

Free agency...

Lets just put this in the never ending amazing Diesel archives that range from an infatuation with the likes of Stephon Marbury, Eddie Curry, Shelden Williams, to Jianlian Yi etc Now the apple of his eye is a near 40 year old broken down center who turned Phoenix, a porsche at the time into the same clunker that Dallas turned into after the Jason Kidd trade! Word of advise my brother, stick to what you do best which is getting drunk on Marvin haterade! And leave the general managing to the guys who have improved this team every year for the past 4 years!