• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rick Sund on 680 the Fan/Rude Awakening

khaos7

Keeping Woody for continuity purposes is the right call. He wasn't going to state that he's a tremendous coach and we're lucky to have him!! Despite Woody's downfalls, he deserved a shot at being good and has earned the right to take this team to the playoffs again and see what we can do.

"Continuity purposes" isn't exactly a vote of confidence....for Woody that is.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets just put this in the never ending amazing Diesel archives that range from an infatuation with the likes of Stephon Marbury, Eddie Curry, Shelden Williams, to Jianlian Yi etc Now the apple of his eye is a near 40 year old broken down center who turned Phoenix, a porsche at the time into the same clunker that Dallas turned into after the Jason Kidd trade! Word of advise my brother, stick to what you do best which is getting drunk on Marvin haterade! And leave the general managing to the guys who have improved this team every year for the past 4 years!

Don't forget JO who is completely washed up. Diesel has been trying to trade for him for years.

Don't forget JO who is completely washed up. Diesel has been trying to trade for him for years.

Let's think a minute - who is going off our paycheck roles next year:

On July 12, 2006, Claxton signed a contract worth approximately $25 million over 4 years with the Atlanta Hawks. Speedy has only played 42 games with the Hawks, as he has been injured in every year since he signed with the team. The talk around the cooler in Atlanta is that if his current injuries are not 100% by the start of the 2008-2009 regular season, then he may retire professionally from the NBA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So without my analyzing his contract we at least get 5-6 million in cap room next year. Bibby - major cap room if we don't resign him he's currently at $15.25 million....so lets say 6 plus 15.5 = $21.5 million. Then toss in Marvin's salarly at $4 million and Zaza at $4million - that's $29+ million availbale - per year.

We could massage Flipper and Mo's contracts a bit - make them happy - and have $18-20 million a year to mess with without increasing payroll.

Would a 10 year $290 million dollar contract get LeBron? - with JS, Horford, Flipper, and the others?....that's not even taking JJ's contract into consideration....love to have them both :vacation1:

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member
Ignoring the red herring that is your "Gasol" trade, you still haven't explained how you will pay for Shaq next season while still staying under the luxury tax. What are you proposing as the trade, and how are you going to afford to bring in any decent FA's (or re-sign the current ones) with Shaq making $20M next year?

(I don't care about Shaq two years from now. He's not a safe bet from month to month, much less two years from now).

The way I have it...

is

Marvin (7.4 Million SNT), Mo (2.5 Million), Claxton (5.8 Million) + Cap Space (4.3 Million).

So of the ~39 Million that I suggest we will lose this summer (FAs + Claxton and Mo) We spend 20 Million on Shaq.

Capwise, with SHaq, that means we are at 53.16 Million.

Henceforth.

If we say the Luxury tax is set back to 65 Million.

We still have 11.8 Million to resign Bibby, Zaza, Flip, and Rio with. Maybe we don't resign Bibby or maybe we sign a guy like Jack starting at 3 Million. I still believe with good bookkeeping we can still sign the others.

The key is that the Shaq salary is only for 1 year.

• Premium Member
Lets just put this in the never ending amazing Diesel archives that range from an infatuation with the likes of Stephon Marbury, Eddie Curry, Shelden Williams, to Jianlian Yi etc Now the apple of his eye is a near 40 year old broken down center who turned Phoenix, a porsche at the time into the same clunker that Dallas turned into after the Jason Kidd trade! Word of advise my brother, stick to what you do best which is getting drunk on Marvin haterade! And leave the general managing to the guys who have improved this team every year for the past 4 years!

I will claim all of those except Eddy Curry. From his very beginnings, I have never liked Curry.

However, with the others, at times... I did propose we get them.

When we had Tony Delk sitting on the bench and Ty Lue running the PG, and Stephon was available, I said, how about trading for Stephon. However, after his last issue with the Knicks, I have wanted no parts of Stephon.

When we had just drafted our 6th Sf and we were looking at Josh Smith and Zaza being the biggest guys on the team, I said.... It's smarter to draft Shelden ( big college star) than to draft Roy ( guy who turned us down for a predraft workout twice).

When we were going into the 2008 draft... and we had this huge media star Yi... who was already 7 foot and athletic. I said, let's go after him. My thought were mostly beyond the court.. but at the same time, I liked his athleticism for a 7 footer and believed that he would grow into being a Center.

However, with all that, your butt munching of Marvin Gaye Williams is the biggest atrocity that this board has seen.

• Premium Member

Uhm. Diesel has wanted the Hawks to get a good 1 or 5 for years.

Moreover, JO hasn't always been "Washed up". He's not worth his salary, but he's better than Zaza.

• Premium Member
Uhm. Diesel has wanted the Hawks to get a good 1 or 5 for years.

Moreover, JO hasn't always been "Washed up". He's not worth his salary, but he's better than Zaza.

give me Zaza. JO is done!

• Premium Member
give me Zaza. JO is done!

So with Money off the table...

You would take Zaza instead of a guy giving 15.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg, shooting 47.8% from the field in the month of March.

I'm just as much of a homer as anybody here, but at the same time, I'm no fool.

• Premium Member
However, with all that, your butt munching of Marvin Gaye Williams is the biggest atrocity that this board has seen.

Now this is more like it! This is what your followers like HAWKS1986, Kinsey, and djlaysitup log on to see from your post! When you deviate from your niche, you disappoint because it then becomes too apparent that your logic regarding basketball is faulty.

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member
Marvin (7.4 Million SNT), Mo (2.5 Million), Claxton (5.8 Million) + Cap Space (4.3 Million).

1. To have that cap space, you would have to renounce Bibby, Zaza, Childress, Murray, and all of your exceptions. That means you only have the minimum salary to sign any of them.

So, to recap -

Marvin + Mo + Claxton -for- one year of Shaq

After the trade you have no perimeter players other than JJ and Law:

Law/1st rounder/?

JJ/?

Smith/2nd rounder

Horford/?

Shaq/?/Morris

You have only the vet minimum to sign at least two backup wings, a reserve PG, and two backup bigs. And, your PG rotation is Acie Law and a rookie. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that team is better than Cleveland, Boston, or LA.

Edited by mrhonline

You guys are funny to me. You know we need a consistent low post offensive player. Everybody does. Instead of going after a guy in the last year of his contract to see if we can make a run for a championship. Instead of making a move that would put fans in seats (you don't know how bad it looks to see the grey chairs). Instead of making a move that would give this team national recognition. Instead of giving this team a guy who would give us REF CRED. You guys talk as if getting the most dominant low post player of the last 20 years is a joke... Is something we can do without?

Please tell me you are not this dumb???

If you don't see the benefit that having Shaq would have on:

Our sad low post.

Marketing.

National recognition.

Fan attendance.

Free agency...

then you are really not bright enough to comment on the conversation.

So thinking Shaq is a bad move makes one dumb and not bright enough to comment on the conversation? Jesus D, get the f over yourself. Shaq didn't work in Pheonix and now he will be even a year older. The only thing Shaq would do to our low post is stunt Josh and Horf's low post skills by at least a year. So after the one year experement is over we will have lost some youth and set back the youth we kept. Plus, since you're so smart and all, please explain WHY Shaq would want to contribute his services to the Hawks. He typically has the same mind set as the rest of the media that the Hawks are...well the Hawks. Shaq will only go to a team he feels has a legit shot at a ring.

Hawksquawk support?

Why should I trust the majority who have been wrong on so many occassions Dsinner?

I can easily show you my pushing for Deron and Paul... and being in the minority...

But what about this one...

Check the thread... I was in the minority then too.

What about here...

Nobody wanted Pau either.

Nothing is wrong about being in the minority, that's usually were I reside, but Shaq to Atlanta is about as likely to happen (and for good reason) as MJ coming out of retirement. It simply doesn't make any sense on either side. At all.

You have only the vet minimum to sign at least two backup wings, a reserve PG, and two backup bigs. And, your PG rotation is Acie Law and a rookie. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that team is better than Cleveland, Boston, or LA.

More importantly that team is no better than the current Hawks as you can expect Shaq to miss at least a quarter of the season.

• Moderators
So with Money off the table...

You would take Zaza instead of a guy giving 15.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg, shooting 47.8% from the field in the month of March.

I'm just as much of a homer as anybody here, but at the same time, I'm no fool.

Here are the per36 numbers for Zaza and JO in March:

Zaza 12.4 pp36, 55.6% FG%, 10.5 rp36

JO 16.7 pp36, 47.8% FG%, 5.5 rp36

I'll take the double double guy (in his minutes) over the blocks and the more efficient scoring over the less efficient scoring (57.9% TS% on the season for Z; 52.9% TS% on the season for JO).

What continues to really disappoint with JO is his piss poor rebounding. Marvin hits the boards significantly harder than he does. That isn't good for someone you want to play center.

• Moderators
1. To have that cap space, you would have to renounce Bibby, Zaza, Childress, Murray, and all of your exceptions. That means you only have the minimum salary to sign any of them.

I don't think Diesel envisioned us having to do that.

• Premium Member
I don't think Diesel envisioned us having to do that.

I don't think so either. (Like I said, it's the cap that's the problem here, not the talent swap).

I was looking for a way to do the trade without the cap space, and it might be possible, but you'd have to include Law because Marvin would almost certainly be BYC. You could then re-sign Bibby, Childress, Zaza, Andersen, Flip etc. and have your exceptions to add depth, but the issue then would be the luxury tax.

You'd be at $51M between Shaq, JJ, Smith, Morris and Horford. Add in the first rounder and second rounder and you're up to ~$53M. That leaves you with around $15M to fill in the holes. It's a possibility, but there's no denying it's a huge gamble for a player on the downside of his career with just one year left under contract.

Bibby - $6M

Zaza - $4.5M

Flip - $3.5M

Vet wing - $1M

Vet big - $1M

Bibby/Flip/2nd rounder

JJ/Vet wing

Smith/1st rounder

Horford/vet big

Shaq/Zaza/Morris

Edited by mrhonline