• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin

buckeye242424

Tonight it stuck out at me Marvin's absence in our defense. One thing he is good at doing is containing the ball and keeping people in front of him. I understand Parker is nearly impossible to guard, but he was making JJ and Flip look bad, and Bibby never had a prayer. I think Marvin could have definitely helped.

• Premium Member
Hawks GM Sund, who watches practices, said Acie is the best on the ball perimeter defender of this team.

I watched Acie get turned around by JJ barea when we played the Mavs. You think he would have done that much better against Parker? Maybe Parker would've only scored 32 instead of 42? This thread was about Marv and Cwell brought up Acie as if he would have made that much of a difference. This is no time for silly agendas. Sund is right though, but I highly doubt Acie could have done much to stop or even slow down Parker tonight. The guy's been on a tear as of late.

Acie couldn't have hurt. No one else was getting the job done. Parker made anyone who defending him look silly. Espn can have a top-10 tonight alone on what Parker did to the Hawks.

I wouldn't say Acie would have hurt UDR...but I doubt he could have stopped TP. He was going through us like "stuff" through a goose and I doubt Acie would have made much difference. He may have slowed him a bit if he was fully healthy.

I dunno - we didn't get slaughtered - maybe that would have been a game changer.

One thing - don't re-sign Bibby. He is becoming an expensive T. Lue with a little bit better court sense.

I watched Acie get turned around by JJ barea when we played the Mavs. You think he would have done that much better against Parker? Maybe Parker would've only scored 32 instead of 42? This thread was about Marv and Cwell brought up Acie as if he would have made that much of a difference. This is no time for silly agendas. Sund is right though, but I highly doubt Acie could have done much to stop or even slow down Parker tonight. The guy's been on a tear as of late.

lol 1 play where Barea used about 3 screens. Acie was only in the game for like 2 possessions so that means he isn't a good on ball defender. Anybody that watches games knows that every PG Acie guards has a tough time getting past him consistently. I'm not saying he would shut Parker down but he sure would have slowed him down. He wouldn't be getting anywhere he wanted like he did tonight. Wow u saw one guy get by him on one play. I've seen Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul and lots of other quick guards have a tough time doing their thing against him.

Edited by Cwell

Acie wouldn't have helped. The player guarding TP wasn't asked to stay in front of him. We switiched on every PNR and TP scored the bulk of his points on this play. Its our kryptonite.

Acie fights through screens and usually sticks the opposing PG when he's in the game so yes he would have helped.

Acie fights through screens and usually sticks the opposing PG when he's in the game so yes he would have helped.

I agree with you but that's not what Woody was asking of the player guarding the PG today. Thats not how his base defense is set up. If it were, the bigs would hedged the pnr more allowing the guard time to get over the screen. A soon as the pick is set, we switch just about 100% of the time.

How much did we lose by?

While Marvin's defense is missed it's his attack style of offense that IMO is missed the most. It seemed like everyone became complacent watching Joe drive in the 4th quarter yesterday with success and instead of emulating him decided to take jump shots. Add in Marvin's above average free throw shooting and you can see why this team struggles against the better teams in close games..we can't make consistent free throws to save our lives.

It may have been enough to get a W instead of a L.

Parker came in on a mission to score. He knew, and the Hawks knew, that without Duncan and Ginobli the Spurs would depend on Parker to score a ton of points.

We started the game with JJ on him by default.

Either Law needs to step into a bigger role to defend PGs ....but first Woody needs to give Law the chance to defend the Parker, Harris, D. Williams, Ford, and Paul's of the world.

or

We need to draft Collison to better compliment Bibby

or

We need to look at Raymond Felton in the off season to replace Bibby. The year of coaching under Larry Brown seems to have helped him greatly. He seems like a legit vet PG now......one that still has his speed and quickness.

For now we roll and support what we got.

Edited by coachx

so u are saying Parker would just blow by Acie all game like he did everybody else? Please,if u believe that than you're just blind.

He wouldn't have had to. They would have ran a pick and Acie would have picked up the forward while Al would have played Parker. Are we all watching the same Hawks team here?