• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Starting Smith at the 3 sure worked great!

exodus

did you watch the game? he is the same player at the 3 that he is the 4. my god people act like it makes a world of a difference is he is a SF or PF. thats like Kobe playing the SF position. would it make a big difference in his game? NO.

Spoken like a guy who looks at Smith only and forgot about seeing the big picture.

Its not about how Smith performs at SF or PF ! It how the team performs right ?

With Smith at SF the Hawks only have 2 floor spacers (Bibby and JJ). So when JJ has the ball ZaZa, Horford, and Smith are clogging the lane. Plus when JJ has the ball he only has one guy to drive and kick to. Sure you could throw one of (ZaZa, Horford, or Smith) out at the 3 point line but the defense would not respect their shootiing so the lane would still be clogged with defenders. This causes less space for JJ, Horford, and Smith to slash in the paint. Its basically just a disaster on offense with this lineup.

The experiment back fired but I'm glad Woody stepped out of his little box and tried something different. We all know why he did it. The Hawks get out rebounded every night. Just don't try it again b/c it will not work with Smith at SF ! We need 3 shooters on the floor at all times to run a proper offense without a true low post threat.

It seems real simple to me.

Edited by coachx

This thread should be title "Playing Smoove at SF and Horford at PF at the sametime isn't a great idea."

Horf did fine at PF when Marv was playing SF back when they were on the court at the sametime.

That is b/c the offense did not have to change. With Marvin at SF you still have 3 shooters to spread the floor giving the defense more ground the cover and the PF and C more room to work in the paint.

With Smoove at SF it changes everything ! There is no room for Smith, Horford, and Zaza to operate in the paint. There are not enough floor spacers to take advantage of ball movement and drive and kicks.

Basketball is the most simple sport there is. This is not rocket science people !

Yep but the offense flows so well with Marvin gone. :rolleyes:

When Mo is in the lineup the offense is unchanged. Mo can space the floor properly as a SF......Smoove cannot.

For Smoove to play SF we need a guy like Okur playing center, who can space the floor.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
Spoken like a guy who looks at Smith only and forgot about seeing the big picture.

With Smith at SF the Hawks only have 2 floor spacers (Bibby and JJ). So when JJ has the ball ZaZa, Horford, and Smith are clogging the lane. Plus when JJ has the ball he only has one guy to drive and kick to. Sure you could throw one of (ZaZa, Horford, or Smith) out at the 3 point line but the defense would not respect their shootiing so the lane would still be clogged with defenders. This causes less space for JJ, Horford, and Smith to slash in the paint. Its basically just a disaster on offense with this lineup.

The experiment back fired but I'm glad Woody stepped out of his little box and tried something different. We all know why he did it. The Hawks get out rebounded every night. Just don't try it again b/c it will not work with Smith at SF ! We need 3 shooters on the floor at all times to run a proper offense without a true low post threat.

The truth is that we don't have the low post guy to run Smith at the Sf. If there were a low post guy, we could play Smoove as SF in the midrange.. and have 2 shooters and only need 2 shooter. However, young Vlade Pachulia is not the low post threat that would be able to do that. Shaq would be.

• Premium Member
This thread should be title "Playing Smoove at SF and Horford at PF at the sametime isn't a great idea."

^^^This.

The Hawks have two young PF's, one of which happens to be able to play some center. As I've said a billion times, it will have to be settled out at some point in the future.

so what your saying is since we don't have a true low post scorer, smith will have to play the PF postion to space the floor for Joe and Bibby. so next season if we trade Marvin for a true Low Post scorer or a okur like guy we can put smith at the 3 right? Gotcha.

so what your saying is since we don't have a true low post scorer, smith will have to play the PF postion to space the floor for Joe and Bibby. so next season if we trade Marvin for a true Low Post scorer or a okur like guy we can put smith at the 3 right? Gotcha.

We aren't getting a true low post scorer in a Marvin trade. At this point i would think we would get very little in a marvin trade since RFA's don't bring back much.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

Sample size guys. It was one game and Horford happened to have a bad game--it happens. One bad game doesn't mean he isn't better off playing PF. I still think he would be better playing the 4 but it's not like there are a lot of legit centers out there for the taking.

• Premium Member
Horf played PF and started there all while smoove was hurt....

He did, and he had a couple of good games and a couple of bad games. He had that monster game against the Bulls and another really good game against the Bucks too. He also hurt his ankle when smoove was out and might have come back a little too early--but he did that because Smith was out and we needed him.

He did, and he had a couple of good games and a couple of bad games. He had that monster game against the Bulls and another really good game against the Bucks too. He also hurt his ankle when smoove was out and might have come back a little too early--but he did that because Smith was out and we needed him.

Chicagos front line was Noah/Tyrus with Aaron Gray backing them up. Not exactly an imposing group.

Bogut wasn't playing during that Bucks game.

Well if you are going to get "logical" about this you'll mess up the whole board!

WOODY NO GOODY!!! :nono:

• Moderators

Many of us have known for years that Smith is individually less effective at SF (i.e., that the more time he spends on the perimeter offensively the worse and that he is defensively more effective in the interior rather than on the perimeter). This isn't a surprise.