• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bob Rathbun

RonMexico

Am I the only person who really appreciates Bob Rathbun? He's corny sometimes, but it's who he is and he has had great chemistry with every announcer he's worked with. Another thing that I appreciate about him is the fact that you can absolutely tell that he's pulling for the home team - but he's great at giving the opposing team their props. Even the teams that nobody cares about, he does his homework and he is good at being unbiased when it's appropriate.

I love Rathbun. Anybody who can do what you just said AND be able to put a positive spin on the terrible years we had deserves as many props as possible. He's the man. I actually feel good about him having to chance to call the game for a winning team now.

I don't see why people frown upon announcers who pull for the team they work for. Why shouldn't they be fans?

Have you ever watched a White Sox game on WGN? If you haven't, then do it... Then you'll probably understand why announcers should not show favoritism... It's ridiculous...

Have you ever watched a White Sox game on WGN? If you haven't, then do it... Then you'll probably understand why announcers should not show favoritism... It's ridiculous...

I didn't say they had to be homers, but I have no problem with them wanting their team to win and being open about it.

I sometimes wish team annoucers would have a "wth" tone in thier voices when the other team goes on runs or thier team is stuggling. When things are flowing they are fans like the rest of us. I guess they hit a mute button and go "sigh" when the team looks sloppy.

Edited by Dnice

I'm not saying Rathbun isn't a good guy or doesn't do his homework. I'm just saying he seems to be star struck all the time with other all-stars and when the hawks are down, he kind of compliments the other team too much rather than giving me hope that the hawks are gonna come back. If it were ESPN i would understand, but not sports SOUTH. He does do his homework and does a good job of making Nique talk but i just always get mad when we're not doing well against the cavs and Rathbun is saying "Lebron is just sensational. Its not only his quickness but it's also his perfect face" Maybe i just get too emotional when we're losing haha.

Edited by RonMexico

• Premium Member
I'm not saying Rathbun isn't a good guy or doesn't do his homework. I'm just saying he seems to be star struck all the time with other all-stars and when the hawks are down, he kind of compliments the other team too much rather than giving me hope that the hawks are gonna come back. If it were ESPN i would understand, but not sports SOUTH. He does do his homework and does a good job of making Nique talk but i just always get mad when we're not doing well against the cavs and Rathbun is saying "Lebron is just sensational. Its not only his quickness but it's also his perfect face" Maybe i just get too emotional when we're losing haha.

lol

I love the Hawks and have been watching them since 1985. I love basketball too though and I guess I just appreciate commentators that have a genuine (universal) love for the game. I think Bob does a very good job of playing both sides of the fence...but I can REALLY tell when he's not happy with our guys.

Bob's comments about the other team don't bother me.

Sometimes he makes backhanded comments when the Hawks aren't playing smart basketball. For example, if Josh is on a jump shooting spree, he may say something like, "Even though he can shoot the ball, Lebron realizes that driving to the basket makes the best use of his athleticism."

• Admin

or watch a Boston Celtics game where Tommy Heinson and his stupid Tommy Points is doing the announcing. The most homer announcer I have ever heard. I can't handle watching their games when he is doing the color.

Edited by capstone21

or watch a Boston Celtics game where Tommy Heinson and his stupid Tommy Points is doing the announcing. The most homer announcer I have ever heard. I can't handle watching their games when he is doing the color.

Really, what do you expect? He played for them during their glory years. He bleeds green and white. I wish we had an organization that grew players that bled our colors. Then maybe they wouldn't have changed.

• Admin
Really, what do you expect? He played for them during their glory years. He bleeds green and white. I wish we had an organization that grew players that bled our colors. Then maybe they wouldn't have changed.

doesn't change the fact that he is terrible announcer