• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Bibby's future depends on his playoff success.

mrhonline

His playoff stats have been declining since 2003-4. If he puts up something similar to the sub-.400 eFG% again, he DOES NOT need to be re-signed.

Any co-signers?

you may have a point. Im a Bibby supporter but we should only sign him for the right price..and for no more than 3 years. I cant imagine him playing at a high level 4-5 years from now. Lets see what he can do for us in the playoffs and then go from there

disagree. I don't care what he's does,he shouldn't be resigned

let me guess, you are one of those Acie fans who wants him to run the team?? lol I like Acie too but he aint gonna do it for us..we are better off with Bibby at point. Acie should get more minutes off the bench tho

Edited by r3drumNYNJ

Without mike bibby we aren't a 4th seed. The one trick pony has been the most consistent player for us the entire season. Regardless whether you like it or not his cold spells have not lasted as long as anti e elses on the team.Some of you should start appreciating what he has done for this team. Now, I think we should resign him but the price has to be right. And that is the bottom line.

• Premium Member
His playoff stats have been declining since 2003-4. If he puts up something similar to the sub-.400 eFG% again, he DOES NOT need to be re-signed.

Any co-signers?

Disagree.

A few months ago, I wouldn't have said this. However, watching him for the last 2 months, I have to disagree. Bibby has played well with us at times, but when I watch him, I have really got a chance to see how he plays with the team. We have to do a lot to make up for his defensive lack. He is inconsistent as a scorer. He is injury prone. He fits Woody system somewhat because in Woody's lack of offense, he needs somebody who is not afraid to shot. However, we can do a lot better.

I think it would be better for us to either replace Woody (JVG, Fratello or even Lenny W.) or let's remove Woody from offensive play calling with an offensive coordinator who can mix Wood's defense with an offense that is more motion.

Then let's bring in a real PG who can drive and distribute but at the same time not be a burden on defense. I believe the culprit behind this switching defense that fails is Bibby.

...or let's remove Woody from offensive play calling with an offensive coordinator who can mix Wood's defense with an offense that is more motion....

I really don't see the "offensive coordinator" option as very viable. Woody would still be overall in charge. Plus, it's not like in football where you have separate O and D teams and a break between plays (transition for O to D). Theoretically having a really good offensive mind would help a good bit - but Woody would likely poison the pudding. Besdides - great offensive minds are few and far between in the NBA - If you actually find one that is available why not just make him the head coach - then bring in a defensive assistant who can teach guys to block out.

But we're not swithching from the Woodster this year...so we'll just have to see how far Woody's "Play D and jack the 3" system will take us.

I agree with Diesel on getting an assistant installing some type of offense for our team.

IMO. Ill resign Bibby something cheap and either draft a PG or give it to Acie right out of training camp. We need a PG to can get the ball to people just like we need a true center.

I agree with Diesel on getting an assistant installing some type of offense for our team....

Well tone - I'm not saying that kind of setup could not work in the league - I just don't think it would work with Woody. To really give up the offense to an assistant it would require a true "partnership" on the part of both coaches. It would be a pretty unique deal - and actually could cause more problems than it would solve with the Hawks. Our team already has shown a tendency to break into factions.

• Premium Member
I really don't see the "offensive coordinator" option as very viable. Woody would still be overall in charge. Plus, it's not like in football where you have separate O and D teams and a break between plays (transition for O to D). Theoretically having a really good offensive mind would help a good bit - but Woody would likely poison the pudding. Besdides - great offensive minds are few and far between in the NBA - If you actually find one that is available why not just make him the head coach - then bring in a defensive assistant who can teach guys to block out.

But we're not swithching from the Woodster this year...so we'll just have to see how far Woody's "Play D and jack the 3" system will take us.

That's not how it has to be.

Phil Jackson entrusted Tex Winters to install the triangle offense many years ago.. and his team runs it.

Calisemo hired Paul Westhead to run his offense in OK City.

Rivers uses Tom Thibodeau to manage the defense.

Lawrence Frank and Brian Hill.

• Premium Member
Well tone - I'm not saying that kind of setup could not work in the league - I just don't think it would work with Woody. To really give up the offense to an assistant it would require a true "partnership" on the part of both coaches. It would be a pretty unique deal - and actually could cause more problems than it would solve with the Hawks. Our team already has shown a tendency to break into factions.

This is where Sund have to have the balls to tell Woody, we think you need an offensive coordinator or otherwise, we will have to find a coach who can do it all.

BTW... Westhead is available!!!

Although I think that the best thing for this team is a motion offense... I would love to see what we did as a constantly running team.

• Premium Member
I agree with Diesel on getting an assistant installing some type of offense for our team.

IMO. Ill resign Bibby something cheap and either draft a PG or give it to Acie right out of training camp. We need a PG to can get the ball to people just like we need a true center.

Before I thought that Bibby was worth about 7 per... Now... I'm thinking maybe 5. I don't think a team will offer him more than that with 2010 coming. I would offer him 4 years 20 million and if he didn't take it, I would find a PG that plays defense. That would only be the case if we brought in another coach in the capacities that I mentioned. Either an OC or a HC.

Disagree.

A few months ago, I wouldn't have said this. However, watching him for the last 2 months, I have to disagree. Bibby has played well with us at times, but when I watch him, I have really got a chance to see how he plays with the team. We have to do a lot to make up for his defensive lack. He is inconsistent as a scorer. He is injury prone. He fits Woody system somewhat because in Woody's lack of offense, he needs somebody who is not afraid to shot. However, we can do a lot better.

I think it would be better for us to either replace Woody (JVG, Fratello or even Lenny W.) or let's remove Woody from offensive play calling with an offensive coordinator who can mix Wood's defense with an offense that is more motion.

Then let's bring in a real PG who can drive and distribute but at the same time not be a burden on defense. I believe the culprit behind this switching defense that fails is Bibby.

Bibby may also be running on empty. Bibby's not like Joe in that he can't run effectively for a whole season at 35+ mins a night. not any more anyways. Now, this doesn't explain his horrid def in the 1st qtrs, but it may explain his lack of intensity some nights. I do think he is killing us in this switching def but so is Horford. To be effective this switching def 2 things that we dont have, (1) a def PG that can stay with his man when not picked and (2) a shot blocking big that can clean up penatrations in the lane. At the very least, we need one of the two. I actually think Philly would run our def better than we can.

Also, I agree that we need an offensive coordinator type coach. It's not about in-game play calling but overall offensive strategy, plays, practice, and game planning that is really needed. LA has a off coach for the triangle, NJ did, Bos, Clev have def coaches. We need a off coach here.

Changing head coach is also an option too.

let me guess, you are one of those Acie fans who wants him to run the team?? lol I like Acie too but he aint gonna do it for us..we are better off with Bibby at point. Acie should get more minutes off the bench tho

mediocrity. Bibby isn't even a point. Whether Acie was here or not I wouldn't want Bibby back. No contender would have this guy in their starting lineup.

• Premium Member
mediocrity. Bibby isn't even a point. Whether Acie was here or not I wouldn't want Bibby back. No contender would have this guy in their starting lineup.

Your bias is showing. This guy was a key player for a contender and the team has made dramatic improvement since he got here. He has his faults, but the guy is not complete garbage at the point. By the way, are we talking about the same dude who had 20pts and 6assts last night? When was the last time a PG averaged 15 and 5 for us on the season, in a WINNING season? When did we get so jaded around here?

Edited by hawkman

Your bias is showing. This guy was a key player for a contender and the team has made dramatic improvement since he got here. He has his faults, but the guy is not complete garbage at the point. By the way, are we talking about the same dude who had 20pts and 6assts last night? When was the last time a PG averaged 15 and 5 for us on the season, in a WINNING season? When did we get so jaded around here?

by your logic Gary Payton should have been Miami's starting PG when they one the title. Bibby isn't close to what he was when he was in his glory days in Sacramento. he had 20 pt's and 6 assists last night? so what? he does that once every 10 games or so.

• Premium Member
by your logic Gary Payton should have been Miami's starting PG when they one the title. Bibby isn't close to what he was when he was in his glory days in Sacramento. he had 20 pt's and 6 assists last night? so what? he does that once every 10 games or so.

Payton was done in Miami and was an "add-on" type player like Sam Cassell with the Celts. Bibs is giving us 15 and 5 on the season and is an integral part of our team. I'm not saying the guy is perfect by any means, but he's better than anyone we've had at the PG spot in the last 10 years. He's the starting PG for the remainder of this season/postseason barring injury, so why not stop whining about it and support the guy, jeez?

I have to agree with Diesel. Bibby's defensive shortcomings are too great for him to be worth resigning.

Since the hawks don't have a big time star like Kobe or Lebron they will need to be a top defensive team to be a legit contender. That will never happen with Bibby at the point.

• 3 weeks later...