• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some fixable issues to improve the Hawks...

TheDude

First of all, it really became apparent to me last night and then i started thinking about other games we've lost. I noticed that last night near the end of the 4th quarter when we were trying to come back that we decided not to rebound. Now I understand we were trying to make some quick shots and some 3 pointers but our big men were not even in the vicinity of the paint once those shots were taken. Go back and look at it. It's as if the whole team conceded that it was going to be one shot and done each time down the floor. Noone crashed the boards. I was yelling at my tv for someone to at least run into the paint for a rebound when a guard shot a jumpshot...Nothing.

the other is something discussed a lot here. the announcer (matt gukas or something) was right (although he was being overly critical and a homer) in that we are just one-on-one and that's it....whenever we go through those stretches where we pass the ball quickly and get assists that we have great offense. oddly the team seems to think that we are just shooting well and in the zone at those times when in actuality the reason we are being successful at those moments is that we are setting up other people.....joe needs to have people set him up as opposed to the ol' Go Joe offense we love so much...if joe were to shoot in rythym off of screens or sets, he would shoot a lot better than forcing everything....

i mean Woodson HAS to see this right? these are professional basketball players...they HAVE to see that the team goes as the assists go, right?

• Premium Member
First of all, it really became apparent to me last night and then i started thinking about other games we've lost. I noticed that last night near the end of the 4th quarter when we were trying to come back that we decided not to rebound. Now I understand we were trying to make some quick shots and some 3 pointers but our big men were not even in the vicinity of the paint once those shots were taken. Go back and look at it. It's as if the whole team conceded that it was going to be one shot and done each time down the floor. Noone crashed the boards. I was yelling at my tv for someone to at least run into the paint for a rebound when a guard shot a jumpshot...Nothing.

the other is something discussed a lot here. the announcer (matt gukas or something) was right (although he was being overly critical and a homer) in that we are just one-on-one and that's it....whenever we go through those stretches where we pass the ball quickly and get assists that we have great offense. oddly the team seems to think that we are just shooting well and in the zone at those times when in actuality the reason we are being successful at those moments is that we are setting up other people.....joe needs to have people set him up as opposed to the ol' Go Joe offense we love so much...if joe were to shoot in rythym off of screens or sets, he would shoot a lot better than forcing everything....

i mean Woodson HAS to see this right? these are professional basketball players...they HAVE to see that the team goes as the assists go, right?

Did you hear that Kennedy Was assassinated? :top secret:

Edited by Peoriabird

I'm more and more convinced now Doc that Woody DOES see these things. I'm fairly certain that the Woodster has realized this. The ISO Joe/Jack threes offense has just been a ruse. Woody understands that we need a new wrinkle in the playoffs to get us into the championship games. He is lulling other teams to sleep with this inept offensive strategy intentionally...and in secret...putting in a combo Princeton/Gonzaga offense that will have guys coming off screens and cutting to the basket. It's actually pure genious since there won't be any film on it and it will be too late for the other teams to adjust. I envision Bibby going left and doing a pick and roll with Horford - while simultaneously Smoove comes off a pick by Mo or Zaza on the right side and he cuts to the basket. JJ will stay out high at the top of the key. If the pick and roll works with Horford Bibby will give him a bounce pass for a layup/dunk/free throws. If they collapse on Horford Bibby might toss a lob to Smoove for a slam dunk. If the other team is REALLY playing D...JJ will feint inside a step then be set up for a wide open three at the top of the key. After the off-ball pick Mo will go to the corner and if JJ is contested late he can just fire it over to Mo for a wide-open shot.

When our second troops are in I envision Flipper running a similar pick and roll with Zaza - looking like he (Flip) is just going to go 1 on 1 as usual. But he will be able to pass to Zaza (if they don't pick him up) or dish out for another open three for Mo or Acie. With either Smoove or AL still in - he will be cutting to the hoop from the baseline and (if open) will get a layup.

This is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!! :beer:

The lack of rebounding is a result of the iso offense. The team clears out the lane for joe or flip to operate and therefore no one is in position to rebound. Just look at the lane when Joe or Flip has the ball there is no hawk presense in the lane. This is where Jchill had the biggest impact for our team. He roved the baseline and bailed out this offense many times. I think Mo is starting to play this game but he isn't as good at it as chill was.

I also really believe that when the hawk become ineffective on offense it saps their will to play defense. So, this no plan B offense effects the way the team plays and their energy level on both ends. How many time have you seen when the hawks miss 2-3 shots in a row or joe pounds the ball and doesn't score, the other team has an easy shot or a layup on the other end. Then boom, they are down by 10.

I've got to believe that Woody sees this, but I just don't believe has any answers.

Edited by tgunzz

I'm more and more convinced now Doc that Woody DOES see these things. I'm fairly certain that the Woodster has realized this. The ISO Joe/Jack threes offense has just been a ruse. Woody understands that we need a new wrinkle in the playoffs to get us into the championship games. He is lulling other teams to sleep with this inept offensive strategy intentionally...and in secret...putting in a combo Princeton/Gonzaga offense that will have guys coming off screens and cutting to the basket. It's actually pure genious since there won't be any film on it and it will be too late for the other teams to adjust. I envision Bibby going left and doing a pick and roll with Horford - while simultaneously Smoove comes off a pick by Mo or Zaza on the right side and he cuts to the basket. JJ will stay out high at the top of the key. If the pick and roll works with Horford Bibby will give him a bounce pass for a layup/dunk/free throws. If they collapse on Horford Bibby might toss a lob to Smoove for a slam dunk. If the other team is REALLY playing D...JJ will feint inside a step then be set up for a wide open three at the top of the key. After the off-ball pick Mo will go to the corner and if JJ is contested late he can just fire it over to Mo for a wide-open shot.

When our second troops are in I envision Flipper running a similar pick and roll with Zaza - looking like he (Flip) is just going to go 1 on 1 as usual. But he will be able to pass to Zaza (if they don't pick him up) or dish out for another open three for Mo or Acie. With either Smoove or AL still in - he will be cutting to the hoop from the baseline and (if open) will get a layup.

This is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!! :beer:

Wouldn't that be great?? I tip my hat to you DJ. I'm a dreamer, but it's rare that even I imagine such a story and hope it to be true. But as I've stated, I will hope on the most far fetched of ideas if it means hoping for our Hawks to win!