• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If the Hawks had a 7'0" Scrappy Defensive Center ?

Highpozt2

I will preface this by saying I will enjoy watching the Hawks in the Playoffs. Assuming we don't win the NBA championship this year then we will be looking to improve. To determine where the hawks go in the draft, I thought where the Hawks would be if the Hawks had a 7'0" Scrappy Defensive Center ??? Assuming we don't win the NBA championship this year then we will be looking to improve. Za Za and Horford are holding it down, but let's face it they are not Centers or at least starting Centers. Al should be a PF and the Hawks should have a 7'0"+ Center who absolutely excels in block shots, rebounding and put backs --- basically a young Dikembe Mutumbo. If the Hawks had that Player with this existing team, would they be competitive with the top 3 records in the east??? What are your thoughts??? The next question is does that Center exist in the Draft or in free agency???

Everyone knows Thabeet, Mullins, Aldrich, etc., but yes there are other centers out there. . . .

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerome-Jordan-5160/

or my personal late round favorite:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miroslav-Raduljica-1096/

The centers are out there. They may not be as electric or dominant centers as the elite in the league, but we don't necessarily need that. We need a solid big that can play defense and let our athleticism already on board begin to shine. You tell me: are these centers something you would consider? No Mutumbos here, but I see strong possibilities. . . .

Everyone knows Thabeet, Mullins, Aldrich, etc., but yes there are other centers out there. . . .

The centers are out there. They may not be as electric or dominant centers as the elite in the league, but we don't necessarily need that. We need a solid big that can play defense and let our athleticism already on board begin to shine. You tell me: are these centers something you would consider? No Mutumbos here, but I see strong possibilities. . . .

Jerome Jordan is the kid I would like. He blocks, rebs and have an ok post game. They even compare him to Theo Ratliff. If he is near a young Theo. PICK HIM! :jumping11:

Jerome Jordan has the tools physically, he is young. The question I would ask if I was Hawks management is will he offer more than Za Za or Solo if he was to complete a full training camp. If so I would pull the Trigger and get him on the roster. Za Za is rugged but he is so limited athletically that he becomes a liability on defense. A Deke, Theo type would be perfect for the current Hawks Squad

He (Jerome) is a Junior who is definite to declare from what I understand and the site I got the links off of puts him 33rd overall in this year's draft. I could speculate where he'd be good on the pro level and where he'd slack, but I haven't exactly watched Tulsa this year. The purpose of pointing out these centers is to show that there are options out there without having to trade up for Thabeet. After all, no one knows how these guys will produce until they actually step into the "big league". I'm still a Miroslav Raduljica fan though. . .from what I've read of course.

Here is a video on him playing Memphis. He did give up the last sec score thou. lol

He did have 8 rebs and 5 blks in that game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...categoryid=null

He is a Jr. Do anyone know if he's coming out???

Good footage --- If he is a strong shot blocker and rebounder at the next level (?) he would significantly improve the Hawks immediately. His length and athleticism alone would be quite an asset. Za Za and/or Solo could still be functional. I envision Jerome Jordan, Horford, Josh Smith, Joe J and Bibby with Acie, Flip, Mo Evans, Marvin Williams and Za Za off the bench. 11th and 12th men could be Solo and maybe West. We could get Jordan with or current draft position. If the Hawks draft a Center and not a PG the assumption is that Acie will develop enough to replace Bibby when the time comes.

Edited by Highpozt2

• Premium Member

Most bigs don't really contribute until their 3rd or 4th season.

For that reason and the fact there really aren't many good defensive centers to be had in the draft, the Hawks should be exploring the trade options...

Yeah, the Hawks would definitely be better with a young Mutumbo... Just realize that Deke is a possible HOFer, 8 time all-star, 4 time DPOY, 3 time All-NBA, 6 time All-D team player who would be the best player on our team right now.

I get your point, quite an impressive resume -- however if we can acquire a 7'0" Center in the draft that would average 8-12 rebounds 2 to 3 block shots and score 10 points a game, he would pay dividends immediately for the Hawks. Particularly with Horford and Josh Smith the wings. Even that is a lot to ask of a rookie Center. Jordan looks like he has the physical tools but basketball IQ in the NBA usually takes some time. The question will be draft or free agency, at this point draft looks like the best option for a fix at Center.

Good footage --- If he is a strong shot blocker and rebounder at the next level (?) he would significantly improve the Hawks immediately. His length and athleticism alone would be quite an asset. Za Za and/or Solo could still be functional. I envision Jerome Jordan, Horford, Josh Smith, Joe J and Bibby with Acie, Flip, Mo Evans, Marvin Williams and Za Za off the bench. 11th and 12th men could be Solo and maybe West. We could get Jordan with or current draft position. If the Hawks draft a Center and not a PG the assumption is that Acie will develop enough to replace Bibby when the time comes.

Jerome Jordan needs to put on some weight. He will not help the Hawks in his 1st year and is not worth drafting as high at the 19th pick.

• Premium Member
I get your point, quite an impressive resume -- however if we can acquire a 7'0" Center in the draft that would average 8-12 rebounds 2 to 3 block shots and score 10 points a game, he would pay dividends immediately for the Hawks.

Players with that kind of size and even the remotest chance of reaching that kind of potential go in the lottery, which is exactly where Thabeet and Aldrich will go.

Mullins and Jordan would be the only bigs near #19 worth consideration but both are a LONG way from contributing in the NBA. I'd rather see the Hawks explore trade possibilities for a veteran center.

Jerome Jordan needs to put on some weight. He will not help the Hawks in his 1st year and is not worth drafting as high at the 19th pick.

I can't see the Hawks being any better with Horford, Za Za and Solo as the Centers. Not because Horford is not solid, but because he is a PF not a Center. Za Za is just not athletic enough to be a starter and he is a liability on defense. With that said free agency Centers don't look good and to trade for a higher draft pick will be taking a step back to take a step forward. Particularly if it means moving JJ, Smith or Marv Wil. The Hawks will have to pull a San Antonio Spurs and find a Gem in the draft (i.e. Manu G.). That is why one of the late round 7'0" Centers need to be scouted extensively.

I can't see the Hawks being any better with Horford, Za Za and Solo as the Centers. Not because Horford is not solid, but because he is a PF not a Center. Za Za is just not athletic enough to be a starter and he is a liability on defense. With that said free agency Centers don't look good and to trade for a higher draft pick will be taking a step back to take a step forward. Particularly if it means moving JJ, Smith or Marv Wil. The Hawks will have to pull a San Antonio Spurs and find a Gem in the draft (i.e. Manu G.). That is why one of the late round 7'0" Centers need to be scouted extensively.

They all need to be scouted extensively, that doesn't mean that they will be good though. The reason those guys go late in the draft is because they are more likely to be nobodies than real players. Even bigs that go early can, and very often do, bust.

What about David Anderson, currently playing in Spain. I know this was brought up last year but we still have his rights. He's a little undersized at 6 ft 11.5 inches, and I'm not sure about his defence. Just throwing it out there. We could possibly sign and trade him with a few other guys for the center we do need.

Players with that kind of size and even the remotest chance of reaching that kind of potential go in the lottery, which is exactly where Thabeet and Aldrich will go.

Mullins and Jordan would be the only bigs near #19 worth consideration but both are a LONG way from contributing in the NBA. I'd rather see the Hawks explore trade possibilities for a veteran center.

OK lets take your route and see what players we would trade and not take a step back. Then see if those players have any value to another team. Lets assume we will give up this years first round pick, Then the expendible players imo that we could trade for a decent Center and not take a step back include First tier Randolph, Za Za, Solo, West, Second Tier Mo Evans, Acie Law. Any other players would probably mean 1 step forward 1 step back including MW, Flip, JS, Horford, Bibby, JJ. Now with that what Center could we get with a first rounder and Za Za and lets say Law (seems Like a lot to me). Looking at the list Brendan Heyward, Tyson Chandler, Chris Kaman, Z.Ilgauskas, A.Bargnani, B.Miller, K.Perkins, E.Dampier, D.Diop, R.Nesterovic, J.Pryzbilla, M.Blount, C.Wilcox. Out of that group I see Heyward, Kaman, Bargnani and Chandler as the worth looking at options and only Heyward and Chandler make me think defense and rebounds and Bargnani as an offensive Center. With R.Nesterovic, J.Pryzbilla we might as well stay with Za Za --- I don't see any other team letting go a quality big man --- what do you think??

What about David Anderson, currently playing in Spain. I know this was brought up last year but we still have his rights. He's a little undersized at 6 ft 11.5 inches, and I'm not sure about his defence. Just throwing it out there. We could possibly sign and trade him with a few other guys for the center we do need.

He would give us that "vet" Center instead of having to groom a kid for the next few years. He would have to adjust to the NBA, but maybe this could work. I still say we take a big round 2 (or lotto if we feel the need), and groom him for the future of the franchise. Better have one in the wings, then to be w/o like we ALWAYS are. Zaza, Anderson, draft pick at C. Al/Smoove at PF, and find a PG that defends well. We could build on that for sure.