• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Bibby, resign or let walk? Also future moves.

LouieB

I'm very interested to see what Ben Gordon is going to sign for. He's not the playmaker that Bibby is (when Bibby is playing well) but he's a much more consistent scorer, younger, and better defensively. He'd be a truly killer scoring PG to pair with JJ and I think he'd fit the role of what Woody likes from his PG to a T. I highly doubt he'll get more than what Bibby is making now which means we could simply replace Bibby with Gordon while still decreasing payroll a bit and he's a FA so we wouldn't have to give up any draft picks or worry about Chicago matching.

Are we going to have the cap-space to sign Gordon to a 8ish mil per season contract?

I went to UConn while Gordon was there, and I have to say I am not a big fan of his as a traditional PG. However, in Woodson's system he would be a good addition.

I'd still rather have Hinrich...

I have never seen Ben Gordon play PG.

JJ would be our PG with Ben Gordon on the team. Talk about iso offense............geesh !

Just bring back Flip for half, or less then half, of Gordon's price tag. On a elite team Gordon is a 6th man off the bench......not a starting PG.

Edited by coachx

I have never seen Ben Gordon play PG.

JJ would be our PG with Ben Gordon on the team. Talk about iso offense............geesh !

Just bring back Flip for half, or less then half, of Gordon's price tag. On a elite team Gordon is a 6th man off the bench......not a starting PG.

Gordon is a bona fide 20ppg scorer though and that's something that Flip is never likely to be, even as much as I like him.

If I were coach I'd rather have a true PG but in Woody's system Gordon would be a great fit at PG with JJ handling the ball as much as he does.

Are we going to have the cap-space to sign Gordon to a 8ish mil per season contract?

I went to UConn while Gordon was there, and I have to say I am not a big fan of his as a traditional PG. However, in Woodson's system he would be a good addition.

I've seen Gordon play for UConn as well. He can be a PG in the NBA, but it's better if he's not. However, with a player like Joe Johnson who can handle bringing up the ball sometimes, he can play as the "PG" for us IMO. It's just a matter of how much money will Gordon be asking for?

I think he'll get around 8 per and considering we're paying Bibby 15 million I don't see why we can't sign a big, Gordon, re-sign Marvin and Flip for the combined roughly 22 million that Marvin, Bibby, and Flip are making now.

Marvin 7-8

Gordon 7-8

Flip 3-4

The key will be the big ... we're losing Z's 4 million but will we bring him back and if so, does he get a raise or a decrease in salary? I'd also like to see if we could move Speedy since he'd be an expiring contract for a big and get some value out of his 6 million.

I think he'll get around 8 per and considering we're paying Bibby 15 million I don't see why we can't sign a big, Gordon, re-sign Marvin and Flip for the combined roughly 22 million that Marvin, Bibby, and Flip are making now.

Marvin 7-8

Gordon 7-8

Flip 3-4

The key will be the big ... we're losing Z's 4 million but will we bring him back and if so, does he get a raise or a decrease in salary? I'd also like to see if we could move Speedy since he'd be an expiring contract for a big and get some value out of his 6 million.

The one thing I question is do the Hawks have the cap space to make an 8 mil a year offer to Gordon? Marvin's cap hold is pretty substantial (6+ mil if I remember correctly), so I am not sure that the team will have the 8 mil under the cap needed to get Gordon. It would be great if the team does, as we could be one of the major players in the offseason.

I agree that Speedy's contract is really key to this offseason. If Sund can move it, then we might get something worthwhile in return. I'd take Nick Collison or the like (hard working but not particullarly tallented PF).

Law and/or Childress might bring us something as well.

The one thing I question is do the Hawks have the cap space to make an 8 mil a year offer to Gordon? Marvin's cap hold is pretty substantial (6+ mil if I remember correctly), so I am not sure that the team will have the 8 mil under the cap needed to get Gordon. It would be great if the team does, as we could be one of the major players in the offseason.

I agree that Speedy's contract is really key to this offseason. If Sund can move it, then we might get something worthwhile in return. I'd take Nick Collison or the like (hard working but not particullarly tallented PF).

Law and/or Childress might bring us something as well.

It is going to be an interesting off season. I have a lot of faith in Sund. His two moves bringing in Mo and Flip were perfect fits. He seems to have a good eye with evaluating roles players have in a system in place, and then fills those positions adequately.

wow guys. great stuff, Dolphan, bringing up Ben Gordon. I almost started a thread about wanting to sign him but knew it would get moved so thought better of it.

I would absolutely LOVE to sign gordon, draft a PG like Flinn or Patty Mills, and let Bibby walk. If we could add a solid big man in FA and replace Woody, that would just be icing.

As far as Gordon's role, he is no PG. He would have to come off the bench. Ideally he would be in the game any time JJ isn't and also in the fourth quarter. He would give us a legit sixth man of the year candidate (those fluffing Flip need to rethink that) and I couldnt be more psyched.

Probably a pipe dream but fun to think about.

I wouldn't mind having Ben Gordon in our starting unit. He does seem like the type of player Woodson likes at the PG position. Although Bibby is a better PG, Ben Gordon is the better player hands down. If he could get Josh Smith and Al Horford more involved in the offense, he would be an awesome pick up. I still think we should draft a PG, just in case it doesn't work out so well. We'd still have AC as well so we wouldn't be short on pgs. We could pick up a solid 7' like Rasho Nesterovic to bring off the bench. I think our defense would improve some without a drop-off in offense.

Gordon and JJ look good on paper and really good on a video game where you can do the thinking and play making for them.

With Gordon and JJ we would have two 20 ppg scorers. Neither one of which really makes their teamates better. Both dominate the ball looking for their own shot first and think of others second. It would be whole lot of iso offense going on.....even more then we have now. It would remind me of the Carmel / AI team in Denver. Two guys dominating the ball wanting to get their points while other guys games are sacrificed like NeNe, Martin, and JR Smith.

I am afraid with these 2 starting (JJ / Gordon) and Flip as the first guard off the bench that we would have no one to set up our fowards. Marvin, Smith, and Horford need a guard to set them up and make them better.

At least Bibby looks to set people up and get our fowards involved. That simply does not come natural to Gordon.

Marvin, Smith, and Horford all have the most untapped potential on our team. With a player like Gordon playing PG they will never reach their offensive potential. That is the bigger picture in my eyes.

Gordon and JJ look good on paper and really good on a video game where you can do the thinking and play making for them.

With Gordon and JJ we would have two 20 ppg scorers. Neither one of which really makes their teamates better. Both dominate the ball looking for their own shot first and think of others second. It would be whole lot of iso offense going on.....even more then we have now. It would remind me of the Carmel / AI team in Denver. Two guys dominating the ball wanting to get their points while other guys games are sacrificed like NeNe, Martin, and JR Smith.

I am afraid with these 2 starting (JJ / Gordon) and Flip as the first guard off the bench that we would have no one to set up our fowards. Marvin, Smith, and Horford need a guard to set them up and make them better.

At least Bibby looks to set people up and get our fowards involved. That simply does not come natural to Gordon.

Marvin, Smith, and Horford all have the most untapped potential on our team. With a player like Gordon playing PG they will never reach their offensive potential. That is the bigger picture in my eyes.

Agree, and he's not a good defender doesn't help. Setting up post players is a big part of being a good combo point in Woody's system.

The draft PG crop just got deeper. Jonny Flynn is declaring.

Now thats,

1) Ty Lawson (we have no chance)

2) Patty Mills

3) Jonny Flynn

4) Eric Maynor

5) Darren Collison

Deep PG class indeed.

Outside of Brandon Jennings and Rubio, none of those PG's will help us next season. Regardless of what you think of Law, he is just as good as all those guys mention above with the expection of Lawson.

Outside of Brandon Jennings and Rubio, none of those PG's will help us next season. Regardless of what you think of Law, he is just as good as all those guys mention above with the expection of Lawson.

Mark my words Jonny Flynn will be better in his rookie year than Acie Law is now and Acie will never surpass Flynn. I'm probably a Syracuse homer here but the last time I said a Syracuse player would be great in the NBA was Carmelo and some (ahem KB) laughed at that since Carmelo was just a "chucker". Well I'm here to tell you that Flynn is a star PG in the making.

Regarding Gordon no he's not a good defender but he's at the very least equal to Bibby as a defender and in the role we'd use him he's a far more consistent scorer than Bibby. With that being said IF Bibby played every night like he did tonight I'd much rather have Bibby since he's much more of a PG than Gordon.

Ben Gordon is a sixth man and a SG. He can't play point and is too short to start at SG. He is tailor-made to come off the bench and certainly would if he came to Atlanta. So, please can we stop mention him starting or talking about his PG deficies? Lord.

Edited by bumpyphish1

Even as someone who isn't a big fan of Law and knows there's about a 0.01% chance of this happening, I'm oddly intrigued by the thought of just throwing Law into the fire. Chances are it would be a painful transition initially, but I could see it paying dividends eventually.

If it doesn't work out at worst we hopefully have the other guys (Marvin, Zaza, and Flip) signed up with Flip starting. And while we probably wouldn't see production from the point like we do when Bibby is on fire, we'd also avoid the games where our starting point is almost completely worthless if Law just plays aggressively and drives the ball. I just think on a team with a guy like Joe and a bunch of athletes Law's struggles could be masked a bit until he becomes more comfortable. I still find it hard to believe the guy from A&M is completely dead.

It would be a risky move to let a vet let Bibby walk and replace him with someone as unproven as Law, but it's one of those high risk/high reward type deals that a franchise needs to make every once in a while to take the next step. I'll probably read this post later and ask myself what the hell I was thinking at 4:35 AM, but I'm enjoying the thought right now.

As far as points going into this draft, I have a hard time getting excited over any of them when Law was just as good a player as any of them.

Edited by High5

• Premium Member

If we were going to make a splash in the FA market, we should have moved Speedy at the break. Cap holds are killing us. Also, we would have to make a quick move with Bibby. I think ASG is not looking to renounce Bibby immediately but may offer him a long term deal. I believe that's not the best move we can make, but because of his chemistry with JJ, I'm not against it (pending on the salary).

Like I said before, drafting a young PG will be no different than having another Acie. With the exception of maybe Stef Curry and Maynor, Law is probably better than all those other guys.

So that leaves us as disappointed fans. We may make some moves like resign Bibby and Flip and pick up another PG in the draft. However, we won't be making a big move.