• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does Playoff Series Remind You of Falcons/Cardinals?

khaos7

Does this series remind you of the Arizona/Falcons playoff game? The Falcons were overwhelmingly picked to beat them. We all know the outcome.

Although the Hawks hasn't been picked as much, a lot of people are saying we should win. However, I see some similarities. Miami has no depth (Arizona has no running game). Jermaine O'Neal is washed up (Edgerrin James). Miami has a championship winning superstar (Arizona has Kurt Warner). Miami's interior is suspect (Arizona has no defense).

I don't want this series to have the same outcome. However, I would caution us all not to be too overconfident. I believe we will win. However, we must be careful.

Does this series remind you of the Arizona/Falcons playoff game? The Falcons were overwhelmingly picked to beat them. We all know the outcome.

Although the Hawks hasn't been picked as much, a lot of people are saying we should win. However, I see some similarities. Miami has no depth (Arizona has no running game). Jermaine O'Neal is washed up (Edgerrin James). Miami has a championship winning superstar (Arizona has Kurt Warner). Miami's interior is suspect (Arizona has no defense).

I don't want this series to have the same outcome. However, I would caution us all not to be too overconfident. I believe we will win. However, we must be careful.

I believe Arizona's defense was ranked pretty high in takeaways... They weren't as bad as you're making them out to be...

I believe Arizona's defense was ranked pretty high in takeaways... They weren't as bad as you're making them out to be...

I disagree. On just about every media outlet, they were the team that was chosen to get knocked out the first round first. During their last slate of games in the regular season they had given up 47 to New England, 35 to Minnesota, 48 to Philly, and 37 to New York (with wins against Seattle and St. Louis sprinkled around it). Arizona's takeaways wasn't really mentioned by anyone until the playoffs because of the thumpings they took towards the end of the season.

While the Heat doesn't have as many knocks, a lot of people feel there is no chance they can't win this series. I'd just caution us all not to get too ahead of ourselves, using the Falcons' game as a point of reference.

Actually we would be Arizona in this scenario. We have the better team, they have the better individual(s). As I recall we were picked because people thought Ryan/Turner would trump their team. And we like Arizona are the higher seed with home field/court advantage.

We have home court. Big difference.

Pretty much. I knew going into the Arizona game that the Cardinals were going to come out pumped up, and that their crowd was going to come out pumped up, which meant that the Falcons were going right into a snakepit, plus their x-factor in Edgerin James being damn near 100% healthy helped them immensely. I NEVER had a good feeling about that game, especially considering that the Falcons lost the #2 seed thanks to New Orleans' defense deciding to take off the last minute of the season, but that's another story for a another day/forum.

My point is, compared to this series, where #1: It's not one and done, #2: We have home court, #3: The Heat's playoff crowd is there to be seen. Our playoff crowd is there to be HEARD and #4: They have no x-factors that I know of.

I feel good about the Hawks in this series. They just have to take care of business.

Edited by LOL_Hawks

I am very worried about how much respect we're getting from the media in this series and was going to start a thread about it.

I don't know if our team is mature enough to handle the task of being favorites vs the under dogs who are trying to shock the world.

I don't really think it'll be a big difference... I mean... do you really think our players tune in to Around the Horn and PTI to hear who they think are the favorites / underdogs going into the games? As long as Woodson can prepare this team heading into the playoffs, we should be okay on that part.

But in a way, I'm also worried about the amount of passion that this team will play with -- we should not go into the game thinking this series is in the bag just because we went 3-1 against them this year.

This is the most erroneous topic ever. HELLO, the Falcons were not "overwhelmingly picked to beat" the Cardinals. We were three point underdogs on the road. Which is another reason there is no correlation. The home team Cardinals won that game. We have the home court advantage.

This is the most erroneous topic ever. HELLO, the Falcons were not "overwhelmingly picked to beat" the Cardinals. We were three point underdogs on the road. Which is another reason there is no correlation. The home team Cardinals won that game. We have the home court advantage.

Again, I disagree. First, within our own city, people called talked radio stations and even blogged about what the Falcons would do in the second round. To your point, you are correct. We weren't "overwhelmingly picked." However, Using ESPN's "expert picks" as an example, 6 out of the 10 experts picked us (see http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/tal...mp;seasontype=3). A large majority (perhaps that is the operative phrase) chose the Falcons. It would be revisionist history to state otherwise. I never said the Hawks/Falcons comparision was a complete match. However, there are some similarites. Miami is the team with a ton of holes (suspect defense, a bunch of rookies). Arizona was the team with a suspect defense that gave up a ton of yards. While they didn't have rookies on the defensive end, they were questioned before the playoffs because they didn't have much experience. The biggest correlation I was making was a lot of people were feeling overconfident that the Falcons would just waltz into the second round. People are entitled to their own opinion. However, I sense that same overconfidence with the Hawks series. My only warning is don't jump over the edge and want to get rid of the entire team if (and I stress IF) Miami wins. If that is erroneous thinking, so be it. One man's opinion, cuz.

Again, I disagree. First, within our own city, people called talked radio stations and even blogged about what the Falcons would do in the second round. To your point, you are correct. We weren't "overwhelmingly picked." However, Using ESPN's "expert picks" as an example, 6 out of the 10 experts picked us (see http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/tal...mp;seasontype=3). A large majority (perhaps that is the operative phrase) chose the Falcons. It would be revisionist history to state otherwise. I never said the Hawks/Falcons comparision was a complete match. However, there are some similarites. Miami is the team with a ton of holes (suspect defense, a bunch of rookies). Arizona was the team with a suspect defense that gave up a ton of yards. While they didn't have rookies on the defensive end, they were questioned before the playoffs because they didn't have much experience. The biggest correlation I was making was a lot of people were feeling overconfident that the Falcons would just waltz into the second round. People are entitled to their own opinion. However, I sense that same overconfidence with the Hawks series. My only warning is don't jump over the edge and want to get rid of the entire team if (and I stress IF) Miami wins. If that is erroneous thinking, so be it. One man's opinion, cuz.

I dont think so.

Falcons were underdogs

Our pass rush sucked

Our LB core sucked

Our Secondary super sucked

They had former 2 time MVP

They had FITZ!!!!!!

Plus they has 2 other 1000 yds receivers

Plus they established the run with Edge who was fresh cause they didnt run during the regular season

We had a Rookie quarterback(it showed in the first half)

I knew if we won it was going to be close. If you thought we were going to stomp over the Cards you dont watch or know football.

I dont think so.

Falcons were underdogs

Our pass rush sucked

Our LB core sucked

Our Secondary super sucked

They had former 2 time MVP

They had FITZ!!!!!!

Plus they has 2 other 1000 yds receivers

Plus they established the run with Edge who was fresh cause they didnt run during the regular season

We had a Rookie quarterback(it showed in the first half)

I knew if we won it was going to be close. If you thought we were going to stomp over the Cards you dont watch or know football.

Agreed tone....it was a mis-fit type game. We should have won it (and would have during the regular season)...but they got pumped up and whooped us. That should be a learning experience for our QB.

As far as us against D.Wade? I'm not all that worried....I'm a D. Wade fan...being a big fan of the mid-majors...but I don't think they can stop our 1-2-3....and AH will shut down their inside stuff (+Zaza). Wade is like anybody else going to the hoop against JS. He'll be hoping for the early foul cause JS will spank his sh!t in the lane.... :kickcan:

Edited by DJlaysitup

Not at all. As I'm sure someone has mentioned, we have the advantage of being at home more than being on the road. All season long the Hawks and Falcons took care of their own court and turf. The Falcons were given the shaft and was forced to travel to another city to play a team with a worse record than their own. The Heat have to come where they could not win and where only two handful of teams have won in 41 tries (which ranks in the top 10 of the NBA).