• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Could Speedy be a factor in (potential) Rd 2 matchup?

bumpyphish1

I must say, Speedy looked, well, speedy out there tonight in the 4 minutes he played. He got around one guy and dished to Zaza (I think) to set him up. He either botched it for got to the line, cant remember. Point is, without Acie, we are going to need some minutes at PG and if Speedy can just play defense, I dont care if we run him into the ground or if he has a career-ender. Anything from Speedy is a bonus at this point but wouldnt be funny if he somehow became a factor in these playoffs? Has Sund been sandbagging us with Speedy (I swear he looked to be in decent shape and not too 'stiff') ?

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Speedster's appearance tonight. I know he got in at the end of the season but if Woody is dressing him in the playoffs (and not Gardner/Hunter), then maybe he is planning to use him.

Trust me, I'd be more than happy for Speedy to get the last laugh with Hawks fans who have disparaged him (self included).

Edited by bumpyphish1

No one is mentioning Speedy because there is nothing to mention. Flip is playing the backup point, and he has been for most of the season. The only way Speedy will be a "factor" is if god forbid something happens to either Bibby or Flip. That's it. Period.

Speedy is what he is, and his 4 nonproductive minutes in garbage time isnt going to change that.

Of course, because Flip is NOT a PG...

But it doesnt much matter for three reasons:

1) Speedy just isnt that good

2) Speedy's history of bad health means he cant be counted on

3) Woodson prefers the usage of a combo guard (a la Flip) in that backup role anyway.

Why would Woody play him (or dress him) if he doesn't think he is healthy enough to play (again, dressing over Gardner and Morris - not Hunter, who played)? And if he is dressing him because he is healthy, why dont we give him a chance to earn substantial minutes, especially against Cleveland who will shut down Bibby and all that will be left is Bibby's poor D?

The only reason Speedy was used is because Acie and Gardner were both in suits and unable to play. The man has no played in almost two years and has only started seeing some clean-up minutes for almost a week or so. I doubt he'll start contributing like the old Speedy any time soon.

• Premium Member
Why would Woody play him (or dress him) if he doesn't think he is healthy enough to play (again, dressing over Gardner and Morris - not Hunter, who played)? And if he is dressing him because he is healthy, why dont we give him a chance to earn substantial minutes, especially against Cleveland who will shut down Bibby and all that will be left is Bibby's poor D?

Because Speedy's not playing doesn't benefit the owners in the offseason. Insurance covers Speedy's contract on a per game basis. There's no doubt in my mind that Speedy could have been back much sooner. The thing is Speedy not playing was a board room decision not a coaching decision. Speedy could be a wildcard.

Nobody here is talking about the game, but let me say this... Bibby's defense sucks. Tonight, he made one or two anticipations and I was happy but for the most part, his man got by him and had easy buckets. Being able to pull out a healthy defensive stopper like Speedy may be very good for us in a tight game.