• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Game 1 appreciation thread

frosgrim

This thread is to say what you liked, enjoyed, jumped out of your seat or off your couch from last night's game. There are a lot of kevetching threads on the board already so don't post that stuff here.

For me, Josh Smith did what Josh Smith needs to do to be an unbelievable player. He rebounded, played great defense, and got out on breaks for easy dunks. He was exciting to watch last night. Miami has NO ONE to stop Smith when he gets it going like that.

However, props should be given to the rest of the team that played outstanding defense last night as well. Smith got several of those transition dunks due to what he teammates were doing. Though major credit has to go to Smith for just getting out and running down the court.

I thought Horford played solid interior defense and rebounded well.

Marvin looked good, though you could see some of the pain crept back into his back. Those two missed FTs I think were a result of the back.

I liked the extra effort that we saw on a consistent basis last night during quarters 1 - 3. Whether it was Joe and Mike ambushing Wade around halfcourt or Horford taking it away from Wade on a fastbreak opportunity... it just appeared we wanted the game more and were willing to do the "hustle" and "extra" things that it takes to win playoff games. It is so easy to cheer for a team when they play that way!

Wade flopping on that step-back three and allowing Josh to rip the rim off on the other end.

I also liked the complete lack of effort the Heat showed. They looked like they threw in the towel by halftime. Kudos to all in attendance.

I really enjoyed the fact that ATLANTA showed up and was loud last night. although it was not sold out IT was entirely an ATLANTA crowd. Unlike last years playoffs, ALSO THE FACT THAT THE CITY BOOED WADE EVEYTIME HE TOUCHED THE BALL WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The team wanted this win and the got it. WE have to play with that sense of urgency the rest of the way.

• Premium Member

The Hawks just showed their fans that they are a much better team than the Heat and will be competitive with Cleveland when we play them.

They also showed that they don't have to make a bunch of jumpers to win or have Joe Johnson score 30 to win.

The Hawks showed the world that they can be one of the best defensive teams in the league when motivated even with Bibby and Mo constantly getting beat off the dribble.

Everyone thought that Micheal Beasley was going to be a factor in this game but in the 1st half with Marvin on him, he could barely get a shot off which force the Heat to try to find offense from someone else.

The Hawks will win this series easily in 5 or less with most games looking like last night's game.

I liked the fair officiating by the referees. There were still a couple phantom calls called in the favor of Wade, but there were also many of calls that were let go in favor of the Hawks... we were definitely playing physical with Wade and banging bodies with him.

I'm also very satisfied with how Woodson coached the game, the entire team's tenacity and passion on the court, and our free throw shooting.

It was just the first game, but it still gives us a lot of momentum going into the next couple of games. We're going to have to step it up next game seeing that D. Wade definitely will. I see him just holding the ball the whole time instead of trying to find his teammates. Our gameplan (and everyone else's gameplan) worked against the Heat -- shut down Wade, and the rest of the team can't do s***.

Liked everything ! Every Hawks player played well with the exception of Flip.....who did not need to play well in this one.

Josh Smith played like J-Smoove ! Great dunks on the breaks. (Just cut out the 3's early in the shot clock....that should not be too much to ask from a 27% 3.

Love how we attacked using a balanced offensive attack and we ran a ton of pick and rolls and also ran JJ of a few screens.

Mo did a suprisingly good defensive job on Wade and so did Marvin and JJ.

I liked how JJ made Wade play a lot of defense and really musceled Wade around under the basket.

I liked how Horford and ZaZa got some play together where Horford could take advantage of his size advantage over Beasley. ZaZa and Horford were rebouning like a beasts !

All of the Bibby to Smoove alley-oops got the place rockin' ! He could have had even more but for some reason he insist on leading the break too much, which makes no sense b/c he is our best finisher. He should be finishing the break and not leading it.

My only request , besides Smoove,.......the folks who sit on the suite side of the arena need to fill out their freaking seats ! This is the playoffs people !

• Premium Member

I was in section 113 in the corner and I enjoyed watching the Heat's body language as they either went to the bench for a timeout or dragged themselves back onto the court after a timeout. They were seriously done by the 2nd quarter. Even the fellow Hawk fan next to me said their body language was horrible. I also enjoyed watching Pat Riley heading towards the locker room with a minute and change to go in the first half to chew out his team. I also like the fact that the Heat have NO answer for Smoove... none. He did whatever the heck he wanted to out there and looked like the best player on the floor. I also loved Bibby's playmaking last night. He made some crazy passes and came up with some key steals. Dude even had a block in the post! I LOVE this team!!!

I honestly can't think of anything I didn't like. That might have been the best game they have played all year. They didn't set the world on fire offensively, but when you hold a team to 64 points in a playoff game it doesn't matter.

I obviously don't want to look past game 2 (especially since I'll be there), but I can't wait to see which team shows up in Miami. Sure without the great crowd on your side they likely won't play as well, but when you look at the matchups there's no reason for them not to continue playing well.

• Premium Member
I honestly can't think of anything I didn't like. That might have been the best game they have played all year. They didn't set the world on fire offensively, but when you hold a team to 64 points in a playoff game it doesn't matter.

I obviously don't want to look past game 2 (especially since I'll be there), but I can't wait to see which team shows up in Miami. Sure without the great crowd on your side they likely won't play as well, but when you look at the matchups there's no reason for them not to continue playing well.

Miami's fans are more fickle than ours. If we can manage a blowout win in game 2, I can imagine that there may be strong scatterings of Hawks fans in Miami.

• Premium Member

I really like the fact that we turned it up.

It's like we've been waiting to get back to the playoffs and now that we're here, we have a new gear to show off to all the doubters.

One game at a time... One minute at a time!

Miami's fans are more fickle than ours. If we can manage a blowout win in game 2, I can imagine that there may be strong scatterings of Hawks fans in Miami.

This is where the Boston experience last year is going to really help the Hawks. They may have played poorly against the Cs in Beantown, but they also know what an EXTREMELY hostile environment is like. Miami is nothing like Boston in terms of crowd noise, hostile fans, and general in game experience.

I really hope to see the Hawks come out in game 3 and just take the air out of the Miami crowd.

'Course, the Hawks have to take care of business in game 2. You let Miami win that one, and the whole complextion of the series changes.