• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks had a big win, but team has to fight against complacency, losing focus...

HAWKS1986

Hawks had a big win against Dwayne Wade's Heat team. However, the national media wants and has predicted a Heat-Cavs second round matchup.

Somehow the Hawks must maintain that proverbial chip on the shoulder and continue to pressure Miami and force them to be one-dimensional. Last night after being up by 24 points in the third quarter, the Hawks got a little complacent ( a Wade dunk, a Chalmers three pointer and a few careless Atlanta turnovers) and then it got a tad interesting.

The Hawks must maintain that edge that everybody outside of Atlanta is against them.

Marvin had a nice night (I admit), but he still hasn't had that breakout game for the 48 minutes...I am not saying duplicate Chauncey Billups' 8 for 9 from three point land, but I would like to see Marvin expand his range, convert and give the Heat something else to think about.

Josh looks great dunking the basketball on the fast break, but he must resist the temptation to fall in love with the long jump shot and getting mad over a refs' call. For Mike Bibby, limiting bad turnovers and hitting timely jumpers is something he must continue to do--especially on the road.

This second game is a crucial game, and could be a LETDOWN game. ESPN commentators had mentioned the Hawks have always lost a playoff series whenever Atlanta had won a game by 20 points or more (i.e. Boston, 1986, Detroit..)

I like the way the Atlanta crowd was booing D-Wade last night, but the whole Hawks' team got to have the mindset to blowout the Heat..20 points isn't enough (we saw what happened with Orlando blowing a lead to Philly..)

And if we have a bad call or two from the refs.. in the words of Mark Jackson: 'don't get mad at the refs, get mad at the rim..' The Hawks must stay focus and continue to attack and pressure the Heat..

The national media might not like a second consecutive beatdown, but the Hawks can't afford to leave the door open for a Heat comeback..

Hawks had a big win against Dwayne Wade's Heat team. However, the national media wants and has predicted a Heat-Cavs second round matchup.

Somehow the Hawks must maintain that proverbial chip on the shoulder and continue to pressure Miami and force them to be one-dimensional. Last night after being up by 24 points in the third quarter, the Hawks got a little complacent ( a Wade dunk, a Chalmers three pointer and a few careless Atlanta turnovers) and then it got a tad interesting.

The Hawks must maintain that edge that everybody outside of Atlanta is against them.

Marvin had a nice night (I admit), but he still hasn't had that breakout game for the 48 minutes...I am not saying duplicate Chauncey Billups' 8 for 9 from three point land, but I would like to see Marvin expand his range, convert and give the Heat something else to think about.

Josh looks great dunking the basketball on the fast break, but he must resist the temptation to fall in love with the long jump shot and getting mad over a refs' call. For Mike Bibby, limiting bad turnovers and hitting timely jumpers is something he must continue to do--especially on the road.

This second game is a crucial game, and could be a LETDOWN game. ESPN commentators had mentioned the Hawks have always lost a playoff series whenever Atlanta had won a game by 20 points or more (i.e. Boston, 1986, Detroit..)

I like the way the Atlanta crowd was booing D-Wade last night, but the whole Hawks' team got to have the mindset to blowout the Heat..20 points isn't enough (we saw what happened with Orlando blowing a lead to Philly..)

And if we have a bad call or two from the refs.. in the words of Mark Jackson: 'don't get mad at the refs, get mad at the rim..' The Hawks must stay focus and continue to attack and pressure the Heat..

The national media might not like a second consecutive beatdown, but the Hawks can't afford to leave the door open for a Heat comeback..

They wouldn't like it. We see a repeat of last night on Wednesday, the national media's dream of LeBron vs. Wade will disappear, and they will find another angle to peak people's interest. It's all about ratings and money, and they will surely find something else to promote.

AGREE 100%.....

My favorite Mark Jackson line is without a doubt:

"Mamma, there goes that man." LMAO. If he was calling the Hawks game last night I'm sure he'd have used it on a few of Josh's dunks.

LB

I agree with all. We can't lose the edge that we had. Focus has been our biggest issue during the season.

Last year was Shock the World. This year is Show the World.

MacDaddy, do you mind if I use that on a poster board during the game...WHAT A F'IN SLOGAN!! I love that...sorry bro..hope you don't mind but i gotta use it man :angel19:

That's a pretty useless stat.

But I agree with the post. Except I don't think the little 6 point run from 25 to 19 or whatever it was meant much. The Hawks quickly squashed that.

Edited by High5

That's a pretty useless stat.

But I agree with the post. Except I don't think the little 6 point run from 25 to 19 or whatever it was meant much. The Hawks quickly squashed that.

Funny you mention that particular moment in the game. When the Hawks built a lead like that during the regular season, it seemed to always disappear in the blink of an eye. Not this time. Kudos for Woody using a TO at that moment. Despite the lead still at 19, he felt the need to nip it in the bud right away. Great move. Follow that with a perfectly run set play in which Zaza muscled himself in the post and got a point blank lay-up to squash the run. Good TO, good play call after the time-out. Seems minute, but it was encouraging to see Woody make some productive decisions.

I am really not buying this complacency argument. Sure the Hawks have been complacent in many of their regular season games but this is a nationally televised playoff game. The Hawks have never won a playoff series so i can't imagine them getting complacent in Game 2.

Funny you mention that particular moment in the game. When the Hawks built a lead like that during the regular season, it seemed to always disappear in the blink of an eye. Not this time. Kudos for Woody using a TO at that moment. Despite the lead still at 19, he felt the need to nip it in the bud right away. Great move. Follow that with a perfectly run set play in which Zaza muscled himself in the post and got a point blank lay-up to squash the run. Good TO, good play call after the time-out. Seems minute, but it was encouraging to see Woody make some productive decisions.

It was a good timeout by Woodson. However, Miami had a few chances to hit some long jumpers to cut the lead down further. I believe Wade had just missed on a three-point jumper late in the third quarter after not shooting the ball for awhile. The Hawks fortunately re-grouped.

I am really not buying this complacency argument. Sure the Hawks have been complacent in many of their regular season games but this is a nationally televised playoff game. The Hawks have never won a playoff series so i can't imagine them getting complacent in Game 2.

Many of the bad habits from the regular season do transition to the postseason. However, it begs the question: how much have the Hawks grown from last year..? also individually (i.e. Horf, Josh, Bibby and of course Marvin...) and chemistry-wise in terms of handling negative situations on the court (bad ref calls, etc.)...

Do the Hawks have the killer instinct to put teams away..especially a team like Miami with a popular, star player who can take advantage of a complacent team if you him allow to do so...

• Premium Member

Complacency is a big concern. Woody has to get it over to the Hawks that Miami would love nothing more than a Split in these first two... and the blowout win would be meaningless. So, if we come into the game and we take their heart and give then nothing, I think what we will see is their team will implode. Young coach on that sideline over there. I watched him in the 2nd quarter basically know not what to do. First off, he played Udonis Haslem who gave him nothing. Then he played Beasley (rook helped shoot them out of the game). Their bigs have no answer for Smoove. I suspect that Game 2... the game plan will be get more physical.

I expect to see Magloire in the game.. trying to be Physical besides JO. If that happens, we got to take it to them. Put Zaza out there and let Zaza drive to the hole. Put Flip out there and clear out for Flip to drive to the Hole. Let Al get some physical play in the low post. If we get them to play a physical game, we have moved them to our side of the floor... they will be playing our game. We need to get Wade out of the mindset of drive.

Well, it happened...

So you think it was complacency that cause Miami to shoot 58% from 3?

Complacency was a factor, but lack of focus and execution ...and the team didn't play with a sense of urgency until they got down by 18 late in the third quarter...

The Hawks played tentative, and the coaching staff didn't make the proper adjustments when Wade went crazy...and Marvin, Joe and others weren't able to step up and make shots...

Definition of complacency: self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

Wade and Daquan Cook had been struggling somewhat offensively (an existing situation), but putting someone on Dwayne and/or Daquan such as Mario West for extended minutes may have slowed him down and limited that Miami run that gave them that double digit lead.