• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: hawk on the loose

drzachary

So, what did you all think of the Spirit hawk getting loose and spending most of the first period perched on the backboard, on the camera, on the Jumbotron, on the rail, etc? That was clearly the best thing I've ever seen happen at a basketball game. The ref's gesture to the handler once the thing finally came down (and the sheepish look the handler gave him) were also fantastic.

I only wish our Hawks had shown as much spunk as that hawk.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the calls were so bad against the Hawks due to transference of hawk-related anger. It would make sense!

Also, I finally got a message up on the Jumbotron during halftime, it was a totally sweet message for my date, and she completely missed it. Bad omens all around last night.

See you all there Wednesday.

So, what did you all think of the Spirit hawk getting loose and spending most of the first period perched on the backboard, on the camera, on the Jumbotron, on the rail, etc? That was clearly the best thing I've ever seen happen at a basketball game. The ref's gesture to the handler once the thing finally came down (and the sheepish look the handler gave him) were also fantastic.

I only wish our Hawks had shown as much spunk as that hawk.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the calls were so bad against the Hawks due to transference of hawk-related anger. It would make sense!

Also, I finally got a message up on the Jumbotron during halftime, it was a totally sweet message for my date, and she completely missed it. Bad omens all around last night.

See you all there Wednesday.

funny that we both posted about this at the exact same time (maybe a BETTER sign for things to come? haha).

it honestly made me want a win last night that much more- you already know you'll never forget that- you just wished that looking back, you could associate it with a win. oh well- as long as i can place it with a SERIES win, im good!

i wonder what kind of standing ovation he gets at the next home game... he's gonna be showboating! LOL

its on the homepage of yahoo.com right now too.

22 views no response? i hope i didn't piss any of yall off... just trying to ease some tension, hawks fans.

:biggrin:

What shocked me about the whole thing is the fact they kept playing while the bird was loose and so close to the court, on the backboard, etc. It was really cool though - wish we could have found a way to build on the excitement.

What shocked me about the whole thing is the fact they kept playing while the bird was loose and so close to the court, on the backboard, etc. It was really cool though - wish we could have found a way to build on the excitement.

I saw the momentum swinging in our favor in the first... Remember when Joe drove in for the dunk and was clearly thrown to the floor... No call... That was the play that would have swung it in our favor... We just never got the calls... It happens... They'll come back... Have faith...

That was a complete disgrace to the organization. We turned a nationally televised game into a circus, TNT and ESPN were just ripping us for having a Hawk on the loose. I mean come on, do we really need to have a real live bird for the team? I gotta blame this on the ASG, one of their kids probably had the bright idea to have a real live bird as a mascot and thats why the ASG did it.

Well, it's beginning to become a playoff tradition in Phillips Arena for the Hawks: Something stupid happening. Last year it was the shot clock going out and us having to use Ryan Cameron and an airhorn as a shot clock. Game 1 it was the roof leaking. Game 2 it was the Hawk. You just gotta laugh at stuff like that. :P

But yeah, FIRE THE HAWK! FIRE HIM NOW! LET HIM LOOSE (in the wild preferably)!!!

That was a complete disgrace to the organization. We turned a nationally televised game into a circus, TNT and ESPN were just ripping us for having a Hawk on the loose. I mean come on, do we really need to have a real live bird for the team? I gotta blame this on the ASG, one of their kids probably had the bright idea to have a real live bird as a mascot and thats why the ASG did it.

Overreact much? "complete disgrace to the organization"????

More power to ya...Spirit! He was just tired of the same old routine and wanted to check out Philips.

Overreact much? "complete disgrace to the organization"????

More power to ya...Spirit! He was just tired of the same old routine and wanted to check out Philips.

Tell me, what is the benefit to having a stupid bird? Does it get the crowd pumped? Our team pumped? National exposure? There is no benefit, it just makes us a laughingstock.

Wow, you're seriously upset over nothing. Chill! The crowd there loved every second of it. The only way it could have been better is if it had dropped a load right on Wade's smarmy little face.

Tell me, what is the benefit to having a stupid bird? Does it get the crowd pumped? Our team pumped? National exposure? There is no benefit, it just makes us a laughingstock.

Its just a macot. Thats it! You could make the same argument for every team's mascot. Its just for fun.

well they grounded Spirit.....:(

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...cot_spirit.html

thats BS. One little slip up after years of no problems and they just stop it. the public vote was overwhelmingly in favor of letting Spirit fly! like 75% to 25% last time I looked. The handler admitted they "launched" him from a different spot for Game 2 and that's why he "freaked" a little.

I think it would be funny if the crowd chanted "WE WANT SPIRIT"!!! before Game 5! :)

Edited by JackB1

well they grounded Spirit.....:(

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...cot_spirit.html

thats BS. One little slip up after years of no problems and they just stop it. the public vote was overwhelmingly in favor of letting Spirit fly! like 75% to 25% last time I looked. The handler admitted they "launched" him from a different spot for Game 2 and that's why he "freaked" a little.

I think it would be funny if the crowd chanted "WE WANT SPIRIT"!!! before Game 5! :)

yeah.... i was looking forward to seeing how the crowd would react when Cameron introduced him... lol. to me, you don't have to cancel it- he messed up once out of years of doing this, and they admitted WHY he was spooked. Once they showed him a treat, he was all for flying to his handler.

My question is- as much as i liked this weird moment in hawks history, if he wasn't contained yet- why was tip-off not haulted? where was the handler, just sitting back and laughing? lol

at least they say he'll still be involved in some fashion, and im willing to bet that he'll get a few cameras on him and some time on the scoreboard screen..

Kinda off topic but not long ago i looked out the window and saw a big bird in the back yard acting strangely. I went down to the basement to get a better look and realized that a hawk had just captured a bird in my yard and the bird was still alive and struggling.

I went outside and heard the unfortunate bird wailing in pain so i walked over and the hawk got off and the bird started to fly away. Then the hawk laid the smackdown and pounced on the bird again. At this point i just ran at them and the bird got away.

I just didn't want to watch a bird eaten alive right in front of me.

Edited by exodus

Kinda off topic but not long ago i looked out the window and saw a big bird in the back yard acting strangely. I went down to the basement to get a better look and realized that a hawk had just captured a bird in my yard and the bird was still alive and struggling.

I went outside and heard the unfortunate bird wailing in pain so i walked over and the hawk got off and the bird started to fly away. Then the hawk laid the smackdown and pounced on the bird again. At this point i just ran at them and the bird got away.

I just didn't want to watch a bird eaten alive right in front of me.

Symbolism and foreshadowing EX! In basketball terms...LOL. One could only hope...