• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Held "PLAYERS ONLY" Meeting..

kamillion

Hawks discuss

next move

After Game 3 loss, team holds players' only meeting. Discuss

The great (leadership) debate

11:17 pm April 26, 2009, by Sekou Smith

MIAMI - Long after his Miami Heat had finished wiping the AmericanAirlines Arena floor with the Hawks Saturday night, Dwyane Wade said something that crystalized the difference between these two playoff combatants.

Asked about the leadership he provides for his team, the Heat superstar described his evolution as a team leader so perfectly, it almost sounded as if a Hollywood script writer had penned the response for him.

“One thing about being a leader is that it’s 24/7, 365 days a year,” Wade said. “It never stops. I was very disappointed with myself in Game 1. I was quiet, and that is not what my team needs. In Game 2 and Game 3 I took it upon myself to make sure that my voice is heard. To drive the points the coaches made and make sure they hear it again before they get on the court.”

You won’t hear anything resembling that from the Hawks. They don’t have a vocal leader in the mold of Wade (they don’t have a player with game like Wade’s either, but we all knew that going into this series). So their won’t be anyone rescuing the Hawks from themselves between now and the start of Monday night’s epically important Game 4 (a third straight loss by the Hawks spells almost certain doom in this series).

All those cliches about leaders being born and not bred don’t register in this case. Leaders emerge in times like this. Leaders rise to the occasion and impose their will in times like this. Leaders of men and leading men are two distinctly different beings in the NBA landscape and beyond.

Wade’s both a leader of men and a leading man. He’s John Shaft (talk about a leader of men and a leading man) in a pair of funky looking shoes and without the sideburns. There are a handful of Shafts in the NBA these days (Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, DWade, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce come to mind with others floating in and out of the Shaftosphere). The mettle required of your team leader in the playoffs isn’t hard to spot. And Hawks’ captain and All-Star Joe Johnson has yet to show if he has it in him in this series.

The contrast between his demeanor Sunday and that of Wade over the past few days was striking. Wade vowed to revive his crew after that humiliating, 26-point loss in Game 1 and has done exactly that with two backbreaking efforts since then. Johnson didn’t sound a similar alarm Sunday when asked if he was ready to do it himself, speaking in terms of “we” and “us” when it’s clear that he has to pick up the mantle and carry his team back to even in this series.

“We’ve just got to grow up, man,” Johnson said, his voice trailing off with every word. “We hit a little adversity and now it’s as if we’re out of it. But we have to think positive the rest of the way. You’ve just got to believe. And we have to put it in the guys who have never been in this situation and we have to make them believe we can do this. We have to keep talking to them and keep putting confidence into them.”

The words are fine, but in the playoffs a man can only be judged by his actions.

Two of these guys will face off in the next round and the third will get to watch it from home.

AND NOW, A MOMENT OF SILENCE for the Detroit Pistons.

James and his Cavaliers tossed the last shovel of dirt on a deceased Eastern Conference behemoth Sunday afternoon at the Palace of Auburn Hills, sweeping the Pistons out of the playoffs in four games.

It’s only fitting that the Cavaliers did the honors, seeing as how they were the first team expose the flaws of the once-mighty Pistons (in the Eastern Conference finals a couple years ago). The interesting thing going forward is what direction the Pistons go with their rebuilding project.

They’ll have plenty of cap space now that the Allen Iverson deal/fiasco is finally over. I suspect Pistons boss Joe Dumars has a plan mapped out already, and there’s no doubt it includes some big names (wish I knew which ones).

It’s certainly going to make this summer a bit more intriguing come July 1, when free agency begins. It’s supposed to be a sleepy summer with everyone waiting on the 2010 free agent crop. But why wait when you can make a splash now?

THE MORNING AFTER GOING DOWN 2-1 IN A PLAYOFF SERIES might seem like an odd time to have a players’ only team meeting, but Hawks coach Mike Woodson gave the session his blessing after the Hawks’ Sunday practice.

”They’ll meet today and try to figure out some things amongst them,” Woodson said. “For me, from a coaching standpoint, this is not the time for me to scream and yell and curse guys out. We’re right where we need to be. We just have to figure out [Monday] night’s game.”

Secret meetings? Josh Smith and the Hawks are pulling out all the stops to get back into this series.

Johnson didn’t give up the particulars of the time or place and barely acknowledged that any meeting would be taking place. Sorting out whatever internal issues they need to before Game 4 is an excellent idea. Because if it’s going to take a secret meeting to get the Hawks back to playing like they did in Game 1, so be it (no one wants to see one-sided blowouts in the playoffs, well I don’t).

”We beat them pretty bad in Game 1, and they beat us pretty bad in Game 3,” Josh Smith said Sunday. So we’re even. We just have to look at ourselves as individuals and as teammates and come together with a solution. There has to be a philosophy where we have each other’s back. In Game 2 it was a hostile environment in Atlanta, it was just them and the crowd. They played together and everything clicked. They had fun. We have to do the same thing.

”Our backs are against the wall. What are we made of? Are we going to fold and let them win, or do we step up and show them this is going to be a series and turn it around?

WOODSON WAS IN FULL SPIN MODE Sunday, casting the Heat as the veteran crew with all the playoff seasoning and his bunch (everyone knows the Hawks are youngest team in the Eastern Conference postseason field) as the “underdogs” according to my man Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel.

When asked about the Heat’s supporting cast Woodson said, “When you have O’Neal, who has been a six or seven-time All-Star, and [udonis] Haslem who has played championship basketball, they have veteran guys who have been through the battles. My guys haven’t been battle tested. This is something new for our team. When I came into the series I thought we could make it to the next round. I want them to think that too. This series is a long way from being over if we take care of business tomorrow.”

Are you buying what Mike Woodson is selling?

If this was some master media stroke to ease the pressure on his team, consider that mission accomplished. But it didn’t look that way to me. I honestly didn’t hear it that way. Woodson’s comments on how his team would bounce back against the Heat seemed far more interesting to anyway.

”Our team has been committed all year long, so I’m not ready to put them out to pasture so fast,” he said.” They have been committed. We’ve had some tough times and some tough games, stretches where we didn’t play well. And we bounced back. We haven’t played well the past few games. We have to find what we’re made of. Until we’re eliminated I’m going to keep fighting and I’m going to push them to keep fighting.

”Again, when we won the first game, I’m sure they were down after that. They had to be thinking we had to win three more to get to the next round. I’m thinking the same thing. I have to get these guys thinking the right way. The last two games, we’ve been kind of punched out a little bit. We have to rebound.”

Joe: "Sorry I'm forced to keep jacking up ill-advised shots so much. I really don't know what else to do. Coach keeps calling for the iso play. Gotta do what he wants."

Bibby: "I'm the vet. I can carry us when our offense is stagnant. I've been there. Wait, I'm too old to carry this team on my shoulders. Our offense is always stagnant. I'll shoot anyway. As far as my defense...can't help it...I'm as slow as a snail in syrup."

Marvin: "I'd help if I could. Can't figure out if it's my wrist, back, or if Woody just doesn't think I'm good enough to play anymore."

Smoove: "Wait, did we lose Game three? Sorry fellas, I was asleep until the middle of the third. Why was the game already over?"

Horf: "Jermaine O'neal....Hmmm....."

Zaza: "You guys need to bring the energy I brought! C'mon!!! I may not be very athletic and have trouble finishing around the rim, but I play hard and bang! Push Jermaine around a little Al, he's a walking corpse! Now where did I put my ProActive.....?"

Flip: (In a corner)..."Man, if I could have shot the ball the first three games like I shot all year, I would be getting paid this summer...damn...and maybe we wouldn't be down in the series. Oh well, I played well enough to get another million next year."

Mo: "D-Wade is good guys. I'm trying my best when I'm guarding him, but it's not working. Maybe Coach should run a double and help me once in awile."

Rio: "I could help on D-Wade!!!! Let me! Let me! C'mon guys....me, me, me!!! I don't know why my *ss is so sore though."

Acie: Silent. Thinking. "What in the hell am I still doing here. Where will I be next year. I can't stand Woody."

Speedy: "Sorry guys. I'm just taking up space...I mean, cap space...."

Collectively: "Hey, if our HC is saying it's going to be tough to beat Miami, then maybe it is. If our GM won't be disappointed if we lose, why should we care?. To heck with it....let's hit South Beach!!!"

If the Hawks twitter page is correct. The players are holding another players meeting right now. Sound like Woodson is in operation save his sorry job mode.

that's what i came on here to post- yet ANOTHER players only meeting.

the couple of times they have done that this year they have played extremely well, so we'll see...

the couple of times they have done that this year they have played extremely well, so we'll see...

Hey, whatever it takes. The players realize if they lose tonight, it's over. Glad to see they're trying to find the answers.

Ha ha! I could just see the whole Hawks squad doing the "trust exercise" where one person falls backwards off the table and the others catch 'em.

Mhhh I wonder what would happen if Woody falls backwards and Smoove and Acie were there to catch? LOL

• Premium Member

I was present during the players only meeting. This is how it went down.

Solo: I have called this meeting because we the bench players believe that we can stop D. Wade.

Bibby: (Laughing). With what? The gatorade tub?

Solo: If we did use it, it would be more effective than you!!

Bibby Lunges at Solo but is restrained by Smoove and Marvin.

Bibby: You're lucky Team Dime is not here, we would bust you up?

Solo: Maybe you should get Team Dime to "Nancy Kerrigan" Dwayne Wade on the way to the court tomorrow. It's obvious that you can't stop him, Cook, Chalmers, or anybody else in the state of Miami. You can't stop Pat Riley either.

Bibby: Well, Riles is tough. He has 5 rings!!!

Flip: So what's your plan?

Solo: I say we lock Woody in the bathroom during warmup and we play a real offense and a real defense on Wade. I was trying this on my PS3 last night....

Solo pulls out a handdrawn scheme Titled: How to Stop D Wade Live 2009.

Smoove: You got to be Joking!! You're talking about a game!! Diuimbaz.

Solo: Everytime I play against you, I just sit my man in the lane and eventually, you will just drift out to the three point line. How's that for Realistic. Everytime I play against the Hawks, JJ dribbles and all of us just stand around. Dribble dribble dribble....dribble dribble, dribble, Miss. That's real!!!

Solo: Watch this.

Solo pulls out a videotape of Kenny Smitty mocking the Hawks.

Solo: This guy is going to show us how to stop D Wade!!!

Solo opens the door and Charles Barkley is standing there.

Barkley: You guys suck!! Bunch of high school kids with $70 million contracts.

JJ: Oh Great, an old, fat has been here to tell us how to stop the fastest guy in the league.

Barkley: For your information Wade is in my Fav-5. I know how to stop him and how to beat the heat. You guys have to work harder, play smarter, and for god sakes get some rebounds!!!

Horf: We can't get the rebounds we used to. What techniques should we use for rebounding.

Barkley: I always laugh when people ask me about rebounding techniques. I've got a technique. It's called just go get the damn ball and Stop being a wuss.

Acie: But our problem isn't in talent. This room is filled with talent. Our problem is with Coaching. Woody doesn't know what he's doing. We were lucky last year because Doc Rivers wasn't as smart as the average bear. But this year, that kid over there is way smarter than Woody. What are we going to do?

Barkley: Woody must have pictures of his boss's wife having sex with a monkey!!! It's amazing that you can have all this talent and be this bad. Like I said, you guys suck. You need to ignore Woody and just play your game.

Acie: Yeah, we should just act like we're listening to Woody and then get on the floor and do our own thing!

Barkley: That's what I just said! I hate when you repeat after me and try to sound intelligent.

Acie: Maybe we should start Rio. He works hard out there...

Barkley: If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she's ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can't play a lick. Same thing. Before I leave, I want you to understand this.. You're still my underdogs to win it all. But: I know that I'm never as good or bad as any single performance. I've never believed my critics or my worshippers, and I've always been able to leave the game at the arena. I hope you have forgotten games 2 and 3 and realize that a win Monday can put you back in it.

Barkley Leaves the Room...

JJ: That was really nice of him to stop by. We have to beat the heat.

Josh: We have no crowd, no fans, no chance.

Bibby Slaps Smoove...

Bibby: Stop your whining and let's go out and kick some a-- on Monday!

Edited by Diesel

So they had 2 players only meetings correct? both meetings without woodson.

whats the hawks twitter page?

http://twitter.com/atlanta_hawks

there are multiple pages that will give updates, but this one is from Micah Hart and will give you more 'inside scoop' stuff....

also- search for zaza on there....zaza27 i believe

Edited by kamillion

What other games did they do this before? Just looking for some encouragement for tonight's game..

Edited by esimonds03

What other games did they do this before? Just looking for some encouragement for tonight's game..

my mind has completely fails me right now... it was the day after Josh Smith and Woodson went at it at the half, and Josh sat the second half... the same day of the meeting, the hawks were impressive and josh smith looked focused from the jump.

Interesting comments by Fratello when saying that players only meetings are usually about lip service and they're typically a waste of time. They seem to help us but it's really sad that our players actually have to resort to that.

Then Mo Evans said he was unhappy with the tone of the meeting and that guys weren't taking it seriously or something like that, I only caught the tale end of that comment so if anyone else heard it differently please correct me.