• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Support role doesn’t fit Johnson

DrReality

By Jeff Schultz

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

There he was before the playoffs, saying all the right things. He wanted to be viewed as an elite player. He wanted to be known as a difference-maker. He wanted to be the guy who stood out in a postseason series, not blend like flowers on wallpaper.

“Everybody wants to be the guy,” Joe Johnson said last week. “This is the time when the great players step up.”

It’s Game 5 of the NBA playoffs, and we’re still waiting for Joe Johnson to step up. The degree of his greatness remains up for debate.

The Hawks are even in their series with Miami at two wins apiece despite Johnson, not because of him. They’ve received great games from Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia and solid play from Mike Bibby.

But their captain and expected leading scorer has been relatively pedestrian.

Johnson is averaging 13.8 points. He has made only 37.9 percent of his field-goal attempts. He is 2-for-9 from 3-point range and 9-for-17 from the free-throw line.

His assist-to-turnover ratio: so tilted the wrong way (10-to-15).

This is not what stars do. Not in the playoffs. Not even in November.

Johnson spent most of practice Tuesday getting treatment for an ankle sprain. When he emerged following a film session, he looked tired and irritated. The irritated part is probably a good thing. That anger-motivation-get-out-of-my-way-I’m-scoring-30-points domino effect would help right about now.

“It’s been a tough series,” he said. “But now that we’ve got home court [advantage] back, maybe we can take advantage of it.”

When asked if it has been a tough series for him personally, Johnson said: “Yeah, in some form or fashion. But, you know, we’ll be all right. I’ll pick my play up. I’ll get it together.”

He needs to. Because the current 2-2 count notwithstanding, the chance of the Hawks winning this series with Johnson averaging less than 14 points seems slim.

Coach Mike Woodson told our Chris Vivlamore on Tuesday: “The thing is, we’ve been able to sustain with him being mediocre. To me, that’s great.”

The problem is, players who get five-year, $70 million contracts shouldn’t require a safety net, not so often and certainly not in April. Players who get five-year, $70 million contracts do so because they’re supposed to be special.

Team officials often point to Game 4 against Boston in last year’s playoffs, when he scored 35 points, as an almost staple of Johnson’s postseasons. But that night has been more of an aberration than the norm.

In seven playoff games since, Johnson has scored 21, 15, 16, 15, 16, 10 and 14, shooting 37.4 percent (37-of-99). It doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. Fact is, he’s a very good one who sometimes has great games. But elite players are great when it matters most.

Hawks general manager Rick Sund credited Miami’s defense but said Johnson has responded well to the double-teams, saying, “He has swung the ball when he’s needed to, and he’s made some big shots. Great players respond to a defensive scheme, and Joe’s done that.”

As for the lack of scoring, Sund added: “He’ll have a game where things fall his way.”

Johnson also referenced double-teams, off pick-and-rolls and in the post. He said, “I’ve just got to pick my spots a little better. I’ll be all right.”

Saying the right things hasn’t been the problem.

By Jeff Schultz

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

There he was before the playoffs, saying all the right things. He wanted to be viewed as an elite player. He wanted to be known as a difference-maker. He wanted to be the guy who stood out in a postseason series, not blend like flowers on wallpaper.

“Everybody wants to be the guy,” Joe Johnson said last week. “This is the time when the great players step up.”

It’s Game 5 of the NBA playoffs, and we’re still waiting for Joe Johnson to step up. The degree of his greatness remains up for debate.

The Hawks are even in their series with Miami at two wins apiece despite Johnson, not because of him. They’ve received great games from Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia and solid play from Mike Bibby.

But their captain and expected leading scorer has been relatively pedestrian.

Johnson is averaging 13.8 points. He has made only 37.9 percent of his field-goal attempts. He is 2-for-9 from 3-point range and 9-for-17 from the free-throw line.

His assist-to-turnover ratio: so tilted the wrong way (10-to-15).

This is not what stars do. Not in the playoffs. Not even in November.

Johnson spent most of practice Tuesday getting treatment for an ankle sprain. When he emerged following a film session, he looked tired and irritated. The irritated part is probably a good thing. That anger-motivation-get-out-of-my-way-I’m-scoring-30-points domino effect would help right about now.

“It’s been a tough series,” he said. “But now that we’ve got home court [advantage] back, maybe we can take advantage of it.”

When asked if it has been a tough series for him personally, Johnson said: “Yeah, in some form or fashion. But, you know, we’ll be all right. I’ll pick my play up. I’ll get it together.”

He needs to. Because the current 2-2 count notwithstanding, the chance of the Hawks winning this series with Johnson averaging less than 14 points seems slim.

Coach Mike Woodson told our Chris Vivlamore on Tuesday: “The thing is, we’ve been able to sustain with him being mediocre. To me, that’s great.”

The problem is, players who get five-year, $70 million contracts shouldn’t require a safety net, not so often and certainly not in April. Players who get five-year, $70 million contracts do so because they’re supposed to be special.

Team officials often point to Game 4 against Boston in last year’s playoffs, when he scored 35 points, as an almost staple of Johnson’s postseasons. But that night has been more of an aberration than the norm.

In seven playoff games since, Johnson has scored 21, 15, 16, 15, 16, 10 and 14, shooting 37.4 percent (37-of-99). It doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. Fact is, he’s a very good one who sometimes has great games. But elite players are great when it matters most.

Hawks general manager Rick Sund credited Miami’s defense but said Johnson has responded well to the double-teams, saying, “He has swung the ball when he’s needed to, and he’s made some big shots. Great players respond to a defensive scheme, and Joe’s done that.”

As for the lack of scoring, Sund added: “He’ll have a game where things fall his way.”

Johnson also referenced double-teams, off pick-and-rolls and in the post. He said, “I’ve just got to pick my spots a little better. I’ll be all right.”

Saying the right things hasn’t been the problem.

Listen to the man himself! He'll be alright. I agree with Woody, I think it's a positive that we're winning despite his struggles.

• Premium Member

Nice article and I have to say that I agree. I want the "old" JJ back, and I'm not talking about the JJ of this season either. He used to be a smooth yet dynamic player who could play on a superstar's level on any given night. If that guy shows up the next two games this series is OVER in six.

Joe Johnson's own words condemn him. It's time for him to step up and start walking the walk instead of talking the talk. If this is all we can expect out of Joe Johnson in the playoffs, then he's not worth the money he's getting right now.

By Jeff Schultz

That is Smith's conract.........not JJ's.

Schultz, you call yourself a professional sports writer ?

Nice article and I have to say that I agree. I want the "old" JJ back, and I'm not talking about the JJ of this season either. He used to be a smooth yet dynamic player who could play on a superstar's level on any given night. If that guy shows up the next two games this series is OVER in six.

Exactamundo. If JJ shows up (preferably the one that basically made a complete mockery of the Celtics' defense in our 3 wins against them last year), we're going to Cleveland. If not, then we're in toruble.

This is a good article.

I don't mind JJ, at the beginning of games, playing the "team player" role. Kobe does the same thing. But eventually, the star players play a little selfishly, and look for their own offense.

It's the low shooting percentage AND the low assist numbers, that bother me. And when he sees the Hawks struggling, HE has to be the one to stabilize things . . not an Al Horford post move, or a Josh Smith 3-pointer.

Also, his personal amount of 3-point attempts need to go up. He averaged a little over five 3-point attempts during the season. So far in 4 games, he's only taken 9 threes ( 2.25 a game ).

A shooter like him can't impact a game, if he doesn't shoot. Then again, it would help if some plays were designed to get him better looks at the basket. Even if he were to simply take a quick 3 pointer off the dribble, I'd rather see that, than him always waiting for the double team.

• Premium Member
I get the feeling Joe will step up tonight.

I hope you're right. He went on a 4 game tear at the end of the season that really put this team over the top and solidified home court. Don't quote me on this, but I think he averaged close to 30 ppg during that stretch. I want to see that same type of play starting tonight.

I hope you're right. He went on a 4 game tear at the end of the season that really put this team over the top and solidified home court. Don't quote me on this, but I think he averaged close to 30 ppg during that stretch. I want to see that same type of play starting tonight.

To be fair, it hasn't really been that type of series. This is a series with two defensively oriented coaches who like to grind it out. No one is really trying to blow the roof off.

EDIT: Although I just looked and his playoff PER is 4.5 which is pretty astounding.

Edited by crimedog

• Premium Member
This is a good article.

I don't mind JJ, at the beginning of games, playing the "team player" role. Kobe does the same thing. But eventually, the star players play a little selfishly, and look for their own offense.

It's the low shooting percentage AND the low assist numbers, that bother me. And when he sees the Hawks struggling, HE has to be the one to stabilize things . . not an Al Horford post move, or a Josh Smith 3-pointer.

Also, his personal amount of 3-point attempts need to go up. He averaged a little over five 3-point attempts during the season. So far in 4 games, he's only taken 9 threes ( 2.25 a game ).

A shooter like him can't impact a game, if he doesn't shoot. Then again, it would help if some plays were designed to get him better looks at the basket. Even if he were to simply take a quick 3 pointer off the dribble, I'd rather see that, than him always waiting for the double team.

I completely agree. Woody has to make it easier for JJ to score early on. I call it the rolling start. Get the guy some easy baskets early and allow him to get into the flow of the game offensively. I'm not sure JJ "waiting" for the double team so he can pass it to a less gifted scorer is the best gameplan. The team as a whole really benefits when he scores. All of a sudden he becomes the MAN on the team and a leader on the floor and everyone seems to fall into their roles naturally rather than everyone trying to do too much.

This is how he has been playing all year. JJ hasn't been the same since he choked in the Boston game earlier in the season. Playing 40+ minutes a night doesn't help either!!

Joe hasn't been the same since that leg contusion or whatever it was that benched him for the last 20 or so games in 2007.

I completely agree. Woody has to make it easier for JJ to score early on. I call it the rolling start. Get the guy some easy baskets early and allow him to get into the flow of the game offensively. I'm not sure JJ "waiting" for the double team so he can pass it to a less gifted scorer is the best gameplan. The team as a whole really benefits when he scores. All of a sudden he becomes the MAN on the team and a leader on the floor and everyone seems to fall into their roles naturally rather than everyone trying to do too much.

What if JJ isn't capable of doing more in this series? I don't know the severity of his injury but if it's bothering him so much that it's making it difficult to score then we might be best suited using him as the decoy and trying to get Bibby open after the double team comes.

I'm certainly disappointed with his performance thus far and I pray that he gets it going tonight somehow.

What if JJ isn't capable of doing more in this series? I don't know the severity of his injury but if it's bothering him so much that it's making it difficult to score then we might be best suited using him as the decoy and trying to get Bibby open after the double team comes.

I'm certainly disappointed with his performance thus far and I pray that he gets it going tonight somehow.

That's the one aspect of JJ's game that nobody else on the Hawks has...the ability to disrupt a defense without doing much at all. JJ has been shooting poorly, well noted...but he's still going to demand double teams despite the fact he's been sub-par. Miami will continue to be on their toes when Joe is in the game. His mere presence opens up opportunities for others.