• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Stealing Game 1 against overconfident Lebron is possible...

HAWKS1986

Game 1 may be the Hawks best chance of stealing a road game from the heavily-favored Cavs.

if Woodson is going to change things up, Game 1 is the game to do it...

And for the Hawks to pull this off, at least THREE Atlanta players must have their BEST GAMES... In my estimation, JJ, Flip and Josh must score 20 or more points apiece..and Zaza must get 15 or more rebounds.

(It would be nice to see Marvin hit five threes in one game, but miracles can happen..)

More Flip for Game1 may give the Hawks a bigger edge as well..

Lebron demands a lot of attention, but he still hasn't won a championship--yet...He is prone to be complacent, and still susceptible to clanking FTs at the end of games (or middle of games) and is at times too unselfish. Plus, Coach Mike Brown will try to rest Lebron for longer periods of time.

Atlanta must withstand the initial wave on the road. Cleveland wants to sweep us out as quickly as possible. I don't necessarily see the Hawks falling totally on their faces like Detroit, but Atlanta's coaching staff has to take advantage of matchup problems --especially when Lebron receives extra bench time. The Cavs feel they can coast while Lebron is on the bench, and our guys have to find a way not to let that happen.

The Cavs have been out of game action for awhile so if we can get on them early before they get the rust out it will be easier maintaining and holding them off than coming out slow and building our momemtum at the same speed they regain their legs. May sound tough but we just have to maintain our game 7 intensity and remember that game 1s are usually the best games to steal when taking on superior teams. From then on they'll adjust but who's to say we don't rattle them enough and take a few more games.

It's pretty obvious now that the Hawks win when they play defense.

Keep in mind guys, we only scored 91 points today. When this team doesn't play defense, is when we lose. Offense is nice, but our success will completely depend on how we defend the Cavs.

Including the playoffs, we're 26 - 3 when we hold our opponent to less than 90 points. ( losses to Boston, Orlando, and yes . . to Cleveland, on the BS LeBron foul at the end of that game )

If the opponent score 90 - 99 points, we're 16 - 11.

If they score over 100, we're 9 - 24

So the key is obviously to play defense, and not let the game get out of hand. That way, if we're struggling offensively, our defense can still keep us in a game.

The Cavs have been out of game action for awhile so if we can get on them early before they get the rust out it will be easier maintaining and holding them off than coming out slow and building our momemtum at the same speed they regain their legs. May sound tough but we just have to maintain our game 7 intensity and remember that game 1s are usually the best games to steal when taking on superior teams. From then on they'll adjust but who's to say we don't rattle them enough and take a few more games.

The Cavs are a little bit vulnerable and been soaking up their praise of how good they are (from ESPN and their local media), but Atlanta must treat Game 1 like an Game 7 elimination game and come in with focus and intensity.

1. Fight for all loose balls. 2. Tip passes. 3. Play with a controlled anger (chip on their shoulder

• Premium Member
Game 1 may be the Hawks best chance of stealing a road game from the heavily-favored Cavs.

if Woodson is going to change things up, Game 1 is the game to do it...

And for the Hawks to pull this off, at least THREE Atlanta players must have their BEST GAMES... In my estimation, JJ, Flip and Josh must score 20 or more points apiece..and Zaza must get 15 or more rebounds.

(It would be nice to see Marvin hit five threes in one game, but miracles can happen..)

More Flip for Game1 may give the Hawks a bigger edge as well..

Lebron demands a lot of attention, but he still hasn't won a championship--yet...He is prone to be complacent, and still susceptible to clanking FTs at the end of games (or middle of games) and is at times too unselfish. Plus, Coach Mike Brown will try to rest Lebron for longer periods of time.

Atlanta must withstand the initial wave on the road. Cleveland wants to sweep us out as quickly as possible. I don't necessarily see the Hawks falling totally on their faces like Detroit, but Atlanta's coaching staff has to take advantage of matchup problems --especially when Lebron receives extra bench time. The Cavs feel they can coast while Lebron is on the bench, and our guys have to find a way not to let that happen.

In a playoff setting, I have more fear of Wade with fair officiating than I do of Lebron with fair officiating.

Why?

Wade has a jump-shot.

They say Lebron has a supporting cast? I say Lebron has Mo Williams and a bunch of Journeymen. Honestly, I don't think that Lebron's cast are better shooters than what we just faced. Nor do I think that Big Z is going to dominate the boards. Hell, the way that Zaza is playing he might play his way into a 40 million dollar deal (from Somebody).

I don't think that The cavs will be able to contend with our physicality (something we don't show until the playoffs). Nor will they be able to shoot us out of the game like Miami could. If we steal game 1, this series will be over in 6. Hawks Win.

I was listening to somebody talking about the Bulls Celtics and how the Celtics showed mental toughness over the Bulls? I think that we have some of that same stuff. Our guys are resilient.

The chess game will be Mike Brown vs. the Mike Woodson. Woody might actually win this!!!!

In a playoff setting, I have more fear of Wade with fair officiating than I do of Lebron with fair officiating.

Why?

Wade has a jump-shot.

They say Lebron has a supporting cast? I say Lebron has Mo Williams and a bunch of Journeymen. Honestly, I don't think that Lebron's cast are better shooters than what we just faced. Nor do I think that Big Z is going to dominate the boards. Hell, the way that Zaza is playing he might play his way into a 40 million dollar deal (from Somebody).

I don't think that The cavs will be able to contend with our physicality (something we don't show until the playoffs). Nor will they be able to shoot us out of the game like Miami could. If we steal game 1, this series will be over in 6. Hawks Win.

I was listening to somebody talking about the Bulls Celtics and how the Celtics showed mental toughness over the Bulls? I think that we have some of that same stuff. Our guys are resilient.

The chess game will be Mike Brown vs. the Mike Woodson. Woody might actually win this!!!!

I would like to see our frontcourt (Zaza, Solo, Evans, Horford, Josh Sm., etc.) take their physicality to another level in going after loose balls on the floor (just like Zaza), tipping passes, altering shots, swinging elbows, doing whatever it takes to get in the head of the Cavs.

• Premium Member
I would like to see our frontcourt (Zaza, Solo, Evans, Horford, Josh Sm., etc.) take their physicality to another level in going after loose balls on the floor (just like Zaza), tipping passes, altering shots, swinging elbows, doing whatever it takes to get in the head of the Cavs.

The only problem I see with that approach from us is that in Big Z and Smith they have two experienced bigs who may have the mental toughness to deal with that.

I would rather see us play Cleveland like we played Wade (in Atlanta). Make everything hard for Lebron but don't double him. Close down his driving lanes and force him to think hard about what to do next. In game 1 against Miami, Wade had a mental collapse because our defense closed down his drive and forced him to make good passes. We can do the same to James. We can't give up easy passes and good driving lanes. There will come a time in the series when our Bigs will have to be physical, I say don't rush that. Teams like Cleveland like to use our physicality to draw referee fouls for their star. I noticed that no matter how hard Joe was fouled in Miami he didn't get trips to the free throw line. I think we can pull off a game 1 upset and then watch Stern's guys go into panic mode.I would love to go into game 5 up 3-1. If we do that, I want to see the national media start their trail of tears for the Lebron Kobe matchup.

Also, does anybody see what Kobe has in front of him? Houston!!! Yao is playing the best ball of his career and Artest and Battier are defensive stoppers. IF Kobe makes it past them... Denver!!!

It could just as easily be Atlanta Denver.

Cleveland has the post players that are going to make this a very difficult series for us. Horford just doesn't matchup well vs. Big Z. Cleveland tends to exploit that matchup when Z is in the game.

To counter Big Z, the Hawks need to attack him with JJ and Smith driving to the hole. If Marvin is playing, he must drive the lane as well. Hopefully one of them can draw early fouls on Z. When Big Z is out, the Hawks look much better against the Cavs.

So, for me, the key to the series is can the Hawks get Big Z in foul trouble. If so, then the Hawks have a puncher's chance in the series. If not, it will be an early exit for the hometown heros.

The only problem I see with that approach from us is that in Big Z and Smith they have two experienced bigs who may have the mental toughness to deal with that.

I would rather see us play Cleveland like we played Wade (in Atlanta). Make everything hard for Lebron but don't double him. Close down his driving lanes and force him to think hard about what to do next. In game 1 against Miami, Wade had a mental collapse because our defense closed down his drive and forced him to make good passes. We can do the same to James. We can't give up easy passes and good driving lanes. There will come a time in the series when our Bigs will have to be physical, I say don't rush that. Teams like Cleveland like to use our physicality to draw referee fouls for their star. I noticed that no matter how hard Joe was fouled in Miami he didn't get trips to the free throw line. I think we can pull off a game 1 upset and then watch Stern's guys go into panic mode.I would love to go into game 5 up 3-1. If we do that, I want to see the national media start their trail of tears for the Lebron Kobe matchup.

Also, does anybody see what Kobe has in front of him? Houston!!! Yao is playing the best ball of his career and Artest and Battier are defensive stoppers. IF Kobe makes it past them... Denver!!!

It could just as easily be Atlanta Denver.

The addition of Chauncey Billups has made Denver a contender--most definitely. For Atlanta to get past Cleveland, either Flip Murray and/or Marvin Williams must show up and make impact plays and hit three point jumpers to give the Cavs something different to think about other than just double-teaming Joe.

Game 1 upset is possible,and Lebron probably will have his MVP trophy presented to him on Tuesday, so it would be the perfect time for an ambush in Cleveland..