• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does Jon Barry have a beef with Woody?

AtlHomer

• Premium Member

After the game in the studio, the analysts were asked their thoughts on the upcoming Cavs-Hawks series. Jon Barry really 'crapped' on the Hawks and predicted it would be a 4 game sweep. Magic Johnson disagreed with that assessment and at least had more insight commentary regarding the matchups and series.

Many may recall that Jon Barry was on one the the first Hawks teams with Woody. I recall he got playing time early that year then was on the bench until he was traded to Houston for Tyronn Lue.

Along the same line, Woody was on 790theZone this morning (5/4) around 8:30 am and they asked him about Jon's comments. Woody indicated it wasn't worth commenting about and asked 'What has Jon Barry ever done'?

Could there be a beef that Jon has with Woody?

• Moderators

I wouldn't be surprised if he does have a beef with him. i am surprised that Woody would say something like that. He usually goes out of his way to compliment players. Barry was pulling for a Heat victory even at halftime yesterday. I don't blame him for having a beef with Woody but get over it. How much could the guy know about basketball if he's going to fall for this trick?

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

• Premium Member

Nevermind, I got it:

http://hawks.realgm.com/articles/499/20041..._barry_playing/

The Roundup looks at the puzzling situation of Jon Barry, who despite numerous backcourt combinations is recent games hasn’t gotten any burn, leading to the question of what’s wrong with this picture? Is there another destination soon in Barry’s horizon?

The HFO talks to the coach, Mike Woodson, and Barry himself about the situation, and try to shed some light on what might be a developing situation.

Barry, Woody, What’s With the DNPs?

When we talked to Jon Barry before the season started, expectations ran high, even considering the team he was coming to. There was talk of expecting to play, expecting to win, and keeping his personal 8 year playoff streak alive.

Now, it appears, to do achieve all of that, Barry will have to be on another team.

Barry has played in 16 of the Hawks 24 games, but hasn’t seen game action since a 6 minute stint against the Sixers on December 6th. Nothing in his game seemed to indicate a problem, as he is right around his averages for his career in terms of per minute production. He is averaging 5.2 points per game over 17 mpg.

For a team like the Hawks, who have struggled at times putting the ball in the basket, with trouble making shots, one must wonder why a vet like Barry, who was brought in to provide some energy and long range shooting, isn’t playing.

For the coach’s part, Woodson doesn’t say that there is anything specific to Barry not playing, stating that it’s simply a matter of too many players in the backcourt.

“We got too many guys right now,” says the coach, pointing to the Joshes—Childress and Smith, Royal Ivey, Boris Diaw, Kenny Anderson, and Tony Delk. “Where are you going to play all of these guys. Jon’s done everything we’ve asked him to do. I’m looking at these other guys right now.”

Barry says he doesn’t know why he’s not playing, that nobody has communicated those reasons to him. But if the Hawks aren’t interested in Barry being one of the numbers in the backcourt, HFO has learned that one team in the league is.

Sources in Denver tell HFO that the Nuggets have already contacted the Hawks about the possibility of waiving the 35 year old guard, offering to pay the waiver wire charge for the Hawks efforts.

The HFO has not spoken with Hawks GM Billy Knight about this possibility, due to Knight’s too recent return from overseas scouting, but clearly that offer from the Nuggets wasn’t enough to pry Barry loose just yet.

When asked about the Nuggets interest, Barry had no comment about it, preferring to defer to the coaches and team about why he is not playing.

One has to wonder if Barry regrets signing with the Hawks, something we hope we can get an answer to from the man himself, when or if he is ready to talk about such things with us, but we did try and find out some of the reasons of his signing w/Atlanta to try and speculate on that answer ourselves.

Barry was offered, according to sources, about 200K more to sign with the Hawks than with Denver. The prospect of more playing time, which looked good in October when we talked with Barry the first time, along with being at home in Atlanta, were key in Barry’s decision to come to the Hawks.

“That was a big sticking point - I want to be here with my family and live in my house, which I’ve had here since 1996 when I played here the first time,” Barry said during his initial press conference in Atlanta. “To get a chance to stay home was first and foremost for me, and that makes me really, really excited.”

So while playing at home has to have fulfilled some of the reasons Barry came to play for the Hawks, will that continue to hold true if Woodson doesn’t put him in the rotation again? Will the Hawks end up dealing Barry to DEN if they are still interested?

It’s a situation that seems to have more to it than anyone wants to talk about right now, but soon enough, whether it means Barry plays more for the Hawks or another team, we’ll get our answer….and so will you.

I knew it when I heard him at halftime saying the Heat would come back and not get blown out. Obviously Barry took it personal. Lue was a much better player so that trade worked out.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does have a beef with him. i am surprised that Woody would say something like that. He usually goes out of his way to compliment players. Barry was pulling for a Heat victory even at halftime yesterday. I don't blame him for having a beef with Woody but get over it. How much could the guy know about basketball if he's going to fall for this trick?

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

LOL...Nice!!!

• Premium Member

Good find by Mrhonline with that post! That seems to confirm my suspicion. As others have said, there was something in the 'tone' used by Jon that really made this strange. Woody's response to Jon's comments also was somewhat strange.

The 'talking heads' obviously recognized it and attempted to pursue it (their insatiable desire for controversy). Woody made a comment of 'Are there any more questions' when they attempted to ask more about this then they changed the subject. He obviously realized what they were doing and would not

get sucked it. They realized if they continued that line of questioning, he would end the interview.

As indicated, a strange situation......

Woodson just got like 100 more cool points in my book for the way that he thoroughly dismissed Jon Barry's "analysis."

I mean, I know we aren't exactly the favorites, but Jon Barry was bordering on just plain ol' hatin yesterday.

Before the series, I heard Barry on the radio saying if the Hawks didn't win this series, this has been a "dismal" season. I was like WTF? They won ten more games than last year and finished 4th in the conference. If they lost to Miami, it would be very disappointing, sure, but "dismal"? It's not like we were the 1 seed against an 8, or a team like Orlando that flirted with being in the upper echelon. It was a 4-5 matchup. So why was Barry so strident about this?

That performance yesterday and now reading about his brief time here under Woody kind of clears things up. He was dripping with contempt yesterday over this team for no apparent reason and it was frankly unprofessional. This guy has a beef with the organization, fine. But don't carry it into your analysis. (The fact that Atlanta was missing two starters on the road and every call went Dwyane Wade's way in game 6 might have had something to do with why it took Atlanta 7 games to beat Miami, Jon.) Dude made zero insightful comments, gave a team that I'm pretty sure he picked to lose this series no respect, and basically crapped all over the city he lives in.

And Woody is right. What has Jon Barry done to deserve to be called an expert on anything? The guy was a scrub living off the name of his father. Seriously, why does he have a job talking about basketball on ABC and ESPN?

• Premium Member

Barry has to get over that now that he's in the media.

• Premium Member
Barry has to get over that now that he's in the media.

I guess I should not be surprised the 790theZone is trying to keep this issue alive. They interviewed Drew Barry this morning and commented they thought Woody got 'personal' with his comments about Jon. Someone even suggested they compare Woody's playing stats to Jon's. Drew pointed out Woody averaged about 18 points/game in his best season. Don't think Jon came anywhere close to that though his old man was a legend.

Drew also indicated he's been mistaken for his brother and got the finger from a few passionate fans. Hopefully the Hawks can win either tonite or Saturday so this can go away...

After the game in the studio, the analysts were asked their thoughts on the upcoming Cavs-Hawks series. Jon Barry really 'crapped' on the Hawks and predicted it would be a 4 game sweep. Magic Johnson disagreed with that assessment and at least had more insight commentary regarding the matchups and series.

Many may recall that Jon Barry was on one the the first Hawks teams with Woody. I recall he got playing time early that year then was on the bench until he was traded to Houston for Tyronn Lue.

Along the same line, Woody was on 790theZone this morning (5/4) around 8:30 am and they asked him about Jon's comments. Woody indicated it wasn't worth commenting about and asked 'What has Jon Barry ever done'?

Could there be a beef that Jon has with Woody?

Looks like Jon may have been right. :sad: