• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AP's interpretation implies MW absence is due more to fitness than actual injury.

HAWKS1986

Woodson plans to keep Maurice Evans in the lineup, but said he prefers giving as many minutes as possible to Williams if the No. 2 overall draft pick of 2005 proves he won't tire too easily.

"We struggled to score some (against Miami), and there was 14 points sitting on the sidelines," Woodson said Monday. "He told me today after practice that he's ready to go. We need him."

A few months ago Acie had received considerable playing time during a Bibby injury, and Acie didn't handle it too well (i.e. bad Clippers loss at home come to mind) and it seems this is when Woody totally gave up on Acie receiving even 12 to 15 minutes a game. Then Acie had this back injury--this mysterious back injury.

Law said he’s relatively pain free, but that his back continues to tighten up.

“It’s a tricky thing,” he said. “I’ll start playing, and it tightens up. But really, I’m exhausted with all this. I love that my team is doing well. It’s just frustrating not being able to get out there and do my part. This being my second year, I had high hopes for what I could contribute, and it just never happened. And that’s a hard pill to swallow.”

Hawks coach Mike Woodson said simply that Law is “not ready to go” just yet.

“Honestly, I’m just not sure when he will be ready,” Woodson said. “I hate it for Acie, because I know how bad all these guys want to be out there.

Woody may believe he can afford to ignore Acie and sit him indefinitely, but it seems Marvin may be losing the confidence of Coach Woodson. Players play through pain, but after four years, Marvin should be blossoming like a rose, but it seems something is always holding him back (lack of confidence, injuries, etc.) and with his contract situation becoming an increasing issue as the offseason approaches, I get the impression that Marvin's days of being a integral part of the Hawks' youth movement is at stake and how he performs in this Cleveland series will determine whether he stays or goes. Woodson prefers that he stays, but when your coach says "We need him"... there is a deeper meaning that this organizationis implying that they picked you this high because of moments like this and if you don't show up, we may have to part ways...very soon...just like Childress, Shelden, etc..

Edited by HAWKS1986

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL what a bunch of nonsense. When you have a sprained shooting hand there isnt much you can do. You can't shoot and it is hard to play D without it getting hit. I have been there and a sprained shooting hand isn't something you can play through.

Edited by exodus

LOL what a bunch of nonsense. When you have a sprained shooting hand there isnt much you can do. You can't shoot and it is hard to play D without it getting hit. I have been there and a sprained shooting hand isn't something you can play through.

Everybody has a different threshold to pain. I hate to admit it, but Marvin is currently an important cog on this team, and it seems there is always something holding him back.

Yao Ming had been injury prone, and had an opportunity to exit stage left, but came back on that floor in an important road game and finished...That was a character-building moment right there..Houston would have likely lost that game if Yao didn't come back.

Tracy McGrady probably has legitimate injuries, but at some point, a team has to go on..and I think the Hawks are at that point with Marvin... when Woodson says "we need him"..NOW, it means we have put up with you for four years and its time to make it happen or the organization has to move on in a different direction.

• Premium Member

Ummm, how does getting injured in a hard fall make someone injury prone?

I agree with Ex. This is groundless.

If you don't like the guy's game (e.g., Diesel), that's fine. But don't pretend the guy has no heart. He's barely played in two months. Of course his coach is going to be worried about fatigue. Horford was clearly fatigued in game 7, and it resulted in several missed baskets.

Edited by mrhonline

Everybody has a different threshold to pain. I hate to admit it, but Marvin is currently an important cog on this team, and it seems there is always something holding him back.

Yao Ming had been injury prone, and had an opportunity to exit stage left, but came back on that floor in an important road game and finished...That was a character-building moment right there..Houston would have likely lost that game if Yao didn't come back.

Tracy McGrady probably has legitimate injuries, but at some point, a team has to go on..and I think the Hawks are at that point with Marvin... when Woodson says "we need him"..NOW, it means we have put up with you for four years and its time to make it happen or the organization has to move on in a different direction.

Marvin had a cast on his shooting hand during the Miami series.

What did Yao have, a splinter?

Edited by exodus

If you don't like the guy's game (e.g., Diesel), that's fine. But don't pretend the guy has no heart. He's barely played in two months. Of course his coach is going to be worried about fatigue. Horford was clearly fatigued in game 7, and it resulted in several missed baskets.

Mr. Hotline: Marvin has been given chance after chance to prove himself, and he will receive one more full chance in this Cleveland Series (I don't think this a Willis Reed situation), but Marvin has to make impact for the Hawks in this series to warrant him being considered beyond next year.

The time is now. It's up to Marvin on how his career will play out in Atlanta...

Is Marvin a franchise player in your estimation? Is he even worth offering a contract extension?

I may be wrong about Marvin (and I hope I am), but he is likely to follow in the footsteps of Chillz, Shelden, and others who can't play up to their potential as a Top 2 pick...

• Premium Member
Mr. Hotline: Marvin has been given chance after chance to prove himself, and he will receive one more full chance in this Cleveland Series (I don't think this a Willis Reed situation), but Marvin has to make impact for the Hawks in this series to warrant him being considered beyond next year.

The time is now. It's up to Marvin on how his career will play out in Atlanta...

Is Marvin a franchise player in your estimation? Is he even worth offering a contract extension?

I may be wrong about Marvin (and I hope I am), but he is likely to follow in the footsteps of Chillz, Shelden, and others who can't play up to their potential as a Top 2 pick...

Thank you for at least focusing on the real issue - Marvin's play. His injury is not relevant to this discussion, though.

The fact that you are bringing up the draft shows your agenda. The draft has no relevance to whether or not Marvin should be resigned. The fact he isn't a franchise player also has no relevance. If teams only resigned franchise players they would have a real hard time filling out their starting 5.

This year he became a legit 3 pt threat and also improved his finishing inside. These two things actually are relevant to whether or not he is resigned.

Marvin has a high school/college game right now attempting to play at the NBA level. He has a skillset, but he plays tentative, doesn't want to lead on the court and has shown he gets banged around, he destined for the injury list.

Nobody would want to trade for Marvin right now, and if he does receive a contract offer, I don't see the Hawks matching it if he tanks the Cleveland series with poor play and or excuses.

Marvin likely future destinations: Playing overseas with Chillz.. or maybe being get into the coaching ranks as a college coach or high school coach...

Asst. Coach Marvin Williams (2011)..its possible

Edited by HAWKS1986

The fact that you are bringing up the draft shows your agenda. The draft has no relevance to whether or not Marvin should be resigned. The fact he isn't a franchise player also has no relevance. If teams only resigned franchise players they would have a real hard time filling out their starting 5.

This year he became a legit 3 pt threat and also improved his finishing inside. These two things actually are relevant to whether or not he is resigned.

I don't have an agenda (Ex). Marvin is not a three-point threat...he is a reluctant tease! He plays scared, doesn't want to have the responsibility of making big shots, and is willing to be a second banana way too often.

Marvin shouldn't be considered as starter for the 2010 squad if he continues to be a tease. For the Hawks to get to the next level, Marvin has to be excluded from consideration and other productive options must be explored.

Danny Granger, David West, heck even JR Smith are examples of small forward who made positive strides as players and on the threshold of being All-Star players... Marvin doesn't know who he is --as a NBA player...and after four years, the Hawks organization is ready to cut ties-- completely... (No offense Marvin..good luck elsewhere..)

Marvin has a high school/college game right now attempting to play at the NBA level. He has a skillset, but he plays tentative, doesn't want to lead on the court and has shown he gets banged around, he destined for the injury list.

Nobody would want to trade for Marvin right now, and if he does receive a contract offer, I don't see the Hawks matching it if he tanks the Cleveland series with poor play and or excuses.

Marvin likely future destinations: Playing overseas with Chillz.. or maybe being get into the coaching ranks as a college coach or high school coach...

Asst. Coach Marvin Williams (2011)..its possible

All I need to say is wow........Kwame Brown can make it damn near ten years in this league yet you think Marvin won't survive past his rookie deal? That to me seems like pure delusion.

This reminds me a little of that other thread that called out Marvin for not playing...when the man had a damn cast on his hand. And y'all expect someone to play the sport of basketball at the highest level in the NBA with a cast on the shooting hand at that. Just ridiculous.

I don't have an agenda (Ex). Marvin is not a three-point threat...he is a reluctant tease! He plays scared, doesn't want to have the responsibility of making big shots, and is willing to be a second banana way too often.

Marvin shouldn't be considered as starter for the 2010 squad if he continues to be a tease. For the Hawks to get to the next level, Marvin has to be excluded from consideration and other productive options must be explored.

Danny Granger, David West, heck even JR Smith are examples of small forward who made positive strides as players and on the threshold of being All-Star players... Marvin doesn't know who he is --as a NBA player...and after four years, the Hawks organization is ready to cut ties-- completely... (No offense Marvin..good luck elsewhere..)

HAHAHAHA

David West is a power forward and JR is a shooting guard. Given the ignorance of your posts i guess i should expect stuff like this.

Marvin took 2.5 threes a game and shot them at 35%. That is a huge improvement over his 1-10 the year before.

When JJ was out it was Marvin who stepped up on offense. When bibby and Smith were both out again it was Marvin who stepped up.

You have just OD'd on Haterade.

HAHAHAHA

David West is a power forward and JR is a shooting guard. Given the ignorance of your posts i guess i should expect stuff like this.

Marvin took 2.5 threes a game and shot them at 35%. That is a huge improvement over his 1-10 the year before.

When JJ was out it was Marvin who stepped up on offense. When bibby and Smith were both out again it was Marvin who stepped up.

You have just OD'd on Haterade.

Ex,

You are the one who has overdosed on Marvin's kool-aid, but management has gotten weary of Marvin's teasing and they are in the process of showing him the door...

Ignorance? Your continued attempts to justify Marvin's impact on this team and behind the three point-arc is laughable.

This AP article suggests ..and his coach as well... that Marvin lacks the physical and mental endurance to be impact player for the Hawks, and when the Hawks need him most, the injury-excuse seems to pop up...

His performance or lack of performance against Cleveland may make or break his career...

Marvin doesn't have to be the next Carmelo or Durant , but Marvin's days of stealing minutes from legitimate starters is about to be over...unless he really does something about it.

And to insinuate Marvin has stepped up is equally laughable.

• Premium Member
This AP article suggests ..and his coach as well... that Marvin lacks the physical and mental endurance to be impact player for the Hawks, and when the Hawks need him most, the injury-excuse seems to pop up...

Where does the article suggest this?

Ex,

You are the one who has overdosed on Marvin's kool-aid, but management has gotten weary of Marvin's teasing and they are in the process of showing him the door...

How do you know what management is thinking? You don't. You are just making stuff up and pretending it is true.

The AP article and Woody suggest nothing of the sort. Anyone who hasn't played in a long time may have trouble with endurance because they aren't in game shape.

His performance or lack of performance against Cleveland may make or break his career...

OK Captain Hyperbole

Marvin doesn't have to be the next Carmelo or Durant , but Marvin's days of stealing minutes from legitimate starters is about to be over...unless he really does something about it.

Who has he stolen starting minutes from this year? His production punks Mo's.

And to insinuate Marvin has stepped up is equally laughable.

I guess you didn't see Marvin drop 31 in Denver (high altitude, so much for your endurance nonsense) when Bibby and Smith were out. Marvin got to the foul line 34 times in two games when JJ was out.