• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The whole "offensive coordinator" idea.

mrhonline

• Moderators
Sam (Carlsbad, CA): I think the Hawks should keep Woody is he agrees to bring in an offensive coordinator. Speaking of which, why don't NBA teams have offensive and defensive coordinators? Seems unlikely one man could be experts in both.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think the league is moving in that direction actually. Mike Brown began doing it this year in Cleveland, and Doc has Thibodeau as his defensive coordinator in Boston. Since they've been so successful, I'm sure other teams will copy it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball is a pretty simple game, it is all about creating an advantage on offense by making the defense move their feet and exploiting them when they are in an off balance position. Not only does this allow for you to get open looks, and draw fouls, but it also tires the other teams' players which will in turn frustrate them and hopefully affect them when they go back to play offense.

By standing around you are doing the exact opposite of what good offensive basketball is, and you are allowing the other team to feel comfortable. You are basically putting all of the pressure on your players and taking all of the pressure off of the opponent. There is no succesful NBA team in the NBA that plays as stagnant on offense as we do. Never have I seen a Laker possession where Kobe dribbles the ball for 10 seconds at the top of the key (with every single teammate standing in the same spot with their hands on their hips), gets a screen finally when there are 8-7 seconds left on the shot-clock, DOESN'T shoot the shot after the screen but instead takes a dribble towards the hoop and then three-four dribbles back and than either takes a fade-away, or passes it off to a wide open power forward for three.

When we have the lead we have these type of possessions, not only during every single last 24 seconds of quarters, but consistently from the third quarter onward... Like we are protecting a lead with 18+ minutes left in the game... Either that or we give it to Joe Johnson in the corner after which he goes on to dribble for 3-4 seconds until a double team comes, and then takes another 4-5 dribbles to the wing, all the while EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR PLAYERS does absolutely nothing, they literally stand in place. When we finally pass the ball for the first time in the possession there are like 6 seconds left on the shotclock... It is the WORST basketball I have ever seen since middle-school. What infuriates me is when these "plays" get called by Woodson when we are starting to struggle on offense, because it only helps to compounds the problem exponentially. You want a reason for our playoff losses all being blowouts? That is reason #1 right there: Whenever we run into trouble offensively (start missing three or four shots in a row) Woody panics like a little b*tch and calls isolations for Joe Johnson every trip down the court... With Joe being doubled every single possession, and non of our players seemingly having any idea about what to do in that situation, running that play is essentially like throwing the ball into a black hole for 10-12 seconds, when the ball is passed back out there is NO ONE open because we are so goddamn slow in passing off of the double that the defense can rotate without breaking a sweat, with only 4 or 5 seconds left we also don't have time to pass it around more than twice, it is like watching retards play basketball.

Pickup bball is simple, college ball isn't. I know that for a fact.