• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Re-thinking Horford's value: Undeveloped offensive game hurts future

HAWKS1986

Defensive rebound percentage is an estimate of the percentage of available defensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.

Of course if Horford played with one of the top 2 rebounders in the NBA there would be less rebounds to grab.

Conversely when you play next to Josh Smith it is a lot easier to get defensive rebounds.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Al Horford is a GREAT Big man prospect. He improved drasticly from last year to this and I expect him to do the same next year. Just look at Smoove - two years in, he had no low post game, today he is backing people down like Adreian Dantley. Hell - even look at Marv adding 5 feet to his shot over one summer. Right now, he has a pretty good j from the elbow and his runner usually drops when he can get a step on his man.

To give up on Al now would be the equivelant of the Cavs letting Boozer go after two years in Cleveland. He might not improve one percent but there is far too much potential to just give up on him.

• Premium Member
What an awful coach! No good coach would ever do something like that. Well unless you count Phil Jackson with Dennis Rodman, or even last night's reference to how Mike Brown uses Varejao. :hush:

I hope nobody here thinks that if Al put in the work to become a better scorer that Woody wouldn't be thrilled to have that but what the Hawks really need out of Horford is defense, rebounding, and to be able to hit that often wide open jumper from the elbow. As Atlas has mentioned MANY times if we ran the PnR with him he could be a dangerous scorer because very few bigs could keep up with him and if the guard got switched onto him then Al would murder him.

Finally, let's not get too "emotional" about Al's value right now when he's clearly struggling with the ankleinjury. As (I believe it was Stockton) mentioned last night he hasn't looked the same since he hurt his ankle and whether it's a physical limitation or a lack of confidence in his ankle it's clearly an issue.

Anderson Varejao...a 2nd round project...is your arguement... Any coach would pray that a guy drafted after 15 or so could give you some production.

And Dennis Rodman? Good God man, he had been in the league for like a decade before he got to Chicago. Phil Jackson didn't turn him into a defensive dirty work player, this is what he evolved into.

Before he even stepped onto the NBA hardwood, Horford (who was a 3 pick and centerpiece for a 2 time national collegiate champion BTW) was given the role of "dirty work" player and had his offensive expectations SET.

Edited by Wretch

• Premium Member
Strange that you would ask why people aren't using a stat that we haven't heard of.

The B-R one is similar to the ESPN one. Basically the same concept. I am a little surprised there's as big a difference in the rankings, to be honest. I always assumed they were almost the same stat.

B-R --> 100 * (DRB * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm DRB + Opp ORB))

ESPN --> (100 x (Rebounds x Team Minutes)) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]

Can someone figure out the difference in those two formulas??? I'm still at work...

• Premium Member

Oh, I see what the problem is.

They are the same stat. B-R just listed him incorrectly as 8th.

Among players averaging 20+ minutes/game, he's 15th. That lines up with ESPN's ranking. By the way, only Biedrins and Love are better and younger.

Oh, I see what the problem is.

They are the same stat. B-R just listed him incorrectly as 8th.

Among players averaging 20+ minutes/game, he's 15th. That lines up with ESPN's ranking. By the way, only Biedrins and Love are better and younger.

I thought they looked similar.

The bottom line is that right now Horford is a role player playing out of position, which hurts his man D. He is a good rebounder and good team defender but that's it. I look at him as being similar to Marvin. Both have no star potential but both are good role players. The problem is that we need more star power.